What's new

Any pre-shave oils/gels that can be applied before shaving cream to increase slickness?

I have coarse hair and sensitive skin, especially on my neck, so any extra bit of glide is very welcomed.

Any recommendations?

How about applying glycerine to the neck before shave cream?

In emergency irritation I use floid shave oil in general use I would recommend paa cube pre shave soap as a base on which to lather more

Reactions: JPO

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I have coarse hair and sensitive skin, especially on my neck, so any extra bit of glide is very welcomed.

Any recommendations?

How about applying glycerine to the neck before shave cream?
Grooming Department pre shave is great. I have never tried PAA but that is apparently good too.

Oils aren't meant to add slickness, they're meant to be rubbed in well to condition the skin prior to shaving. The only thing that will really improve lather is glycerine. There are many glycerine-based pre-shave products out there, including The Cube.

if you want extra glide and protection a preshave oil or cream will always work well. Ideally though you'd want to apply it directly to your face before you shave. Not a lot either, just a few drops. I have experience with the american crew preshave oil (finished a whole bottle) and i can recommend it if you are after an oil. One pump, rubbed into wet hands onto a wet face is perfect. Just let it sit for 30 seconds and then lather up. I also have proraso blue preshave cream (not all of prorasos lineup are created equal) and that works quite well too. I'd say the cream adds more slickness and the oil more protection. Don't have a preference for either at the moment. My skin has been behaving for quite a long while now. Unlike Pedigree I didn't like Geo F Trumper Skinfood (at least the spanish leather version) as a preshave. I think i reacted to the fragrance and I didn't notice much improvement.

proxy.php

It can be used as a pre-shave gel, alone or line up your beard, guys. Turk barbers use them before the soap.

Soaps give you slick lubrication. You could try a glycerin pre shave soap, and then a glycerin shave soap. There are also benefits to making super lather with a cream and soap together.

Another vote for the Proraso pre-shave (in my case, just the regular Green). Works great, smells great, and indeed nice that it rinses off the hands easily (unlike some oils). A+

Most of the time I use a pre-shave oil. I wet my face first and wait a minute or two. Then I rub in two or three drops of pre-shave oil. I wait another minute or two for the oil to do whatever it is that it does, then lather up and shave. The waiting time doesn't have to be precise, but it's necessary in my experience. Of course there are other morning chores I do while I'm waiting, so it isn't dead time.

I have no idea why this works but it does work for me. It seems to work for some people and not for others. Go figure.

I make my own pre-shave oil, half castor oil and half jojoba oil. Olive oil works too. I've used that. Probably 10W40 would work. I've read good things about Walmart's Shave Secret pre-shave oil, but I haven't tried it.

Shave Secret Oil.jpeg

I agree with the above recommendation to add pure glycerin into the lather.

In terms of pre-shave glycerin soap, the best I've used (by far) is Calendula, made by Savonneries Bruxelloises; the very first ingredient is glycerin (followed by water, sodium stearate, etcetera).

PAA's Cube 2.0.

While it's not a gel or oil, it is the only pre shave I've used that's made an undeniable difference.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I use OPR shave soap...comes in a pump. It's a non-lathering product that is loaded with different kinds of sickening agents. I also use Cremo non-lathering shave soap...comes in a tube. Both work well for added slickness on the first pass.

I've messed around with glycerin and it does help. Dab a drop or 3 into your lather and give it ago, it's pretty cheap. It's not really fun though, so I prefer some Proraso green pre-shave because it smells oh so good.

Grooming Department pre shave is great. I have never tried PAA but that is apparently good too.

I agree. When I use a pre-shave immediately prior to the shave, Grooming Dept is what I use.

These days, however, I only use “balmy” alcohol-based aftershave splashes like Chatillon Lux, Maol Grooming, Declaration Grooming, Noble Otter, Ariana & Evans and Barrister and Mann. When I use these, my face is ready the next morning without the pre-shave.

When I rarely use a ”non-balmy” aftershave in my morning shave (like Fine or most drugstore splashes like Skin Bracer, Brut or English Leather), before I go to bed that night I apply Saponoficio Varesano’s “pre-shave” shea butter. This also makes my face ready for the next morning’s shave.

Last edited:
Top Bottom