What's new

Any Pomades Similar to Layrite ?

My cousin says he likes that Layrite is a thick pomade that keeps his hair straight.

Is there anything similar to Layrite. He doesn't like soft pomades.

I'm thinking about getting him a pomade for Xmas

Having tried both, I can highly recommend Suavecito. The holding characteristics are very similar (Suavecito was started by some rogue Layrite employees, if I recall correctly), but Suavecito is less likely to get crunchy-flaky, and I much prefer the scent to Layrite- kind of an oddly pleasant cross between Coca-Cola and Aqua di Gio. The Firme style is strong enough to hold a foot-high Mohawk, but flexible enough to not become a lethal weapon in the process. It has a nice shine to it, unusual for water-based pomades.

Last edited:

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Layette seems to be on par with many water soluble pomades.

Suavecito, Grants, Uppercut Delux are a few that would serve you well.

Disclaimer: Grants just recently underwent a reformulation, so they may be a bit different now.

+1 on Suavecito. My barber recommended Suavecito as a similar option to Layrite. As far as a thicker water based pomade, I would recommend Uppercut Deluxe. IMO, it is some thick stuff! If I use Layrite, I will usually use Uppercut as a topper to tame any strays or on the side where my part is, tame the shorter hairs from popping up. Definitely thicker than Layrite/Suavecito.

Might sound a little odd but if you want something that's not too expensive and can probably be found locally - I am always pleasantly surprised by Axe Clean Cut pomade. Great clean scent (nothing like any Axe Body Spray) and a great amount of hold for the price. I can usually find it for around $6-7 at Target and WalMart.

Thanks for that suggestion Abragus I will look into the Axe pomade. I didn't even know they sold a pomade.

Hey rockero,

I definitely agree with the other gentlemen here with Suavecito. Another good one, with a similar performance is Uppercut Deluxe Pomade. It's a pretty good water based pomade, nice shine, and a minimal scent.

As Many_Vices mentioned above, a real solid option. Hopefully this helps, despite the minimal time remaining until Christmas.

My cousin says he likes that Layrite is a thick pomade that keeps his hair straight.

Is there anything similar to Layrite. He doesn't like soft pomades.

I'm thinking about getting him a pomade for Xmas

$POMADE.jpg
Suavecito identical to Layrite.

Yes suavecito is a great option. The only thing is that from what I understand they have several options to choose from as far as hold is concerned. Such as firme and others

If he's looking to straighten curly hair, you'd probably want to use heavy hold products like Suavecito Firme or Suavecito's Stay Gold Firme.

Ok thanks Abragus. I will get the firme one. I am also looking into that Axe clean cut you recommended. I'm going to suggest he look into the other pomades mentioned. Thanks

Update:

I gave my cousin 2 pomades for Xmas

Suavecito firme and Axe Clean Cut pomade

He really loves the suavecito pomade and hasn't tried the Axe yet.

The axe is supposed to be a good cheap alternative to Layrite and Suavecito

I'm going to look into the other pomades as well though.

Top Bottom