What's new

Any point in owning both Merkur 37C and Muhle R41 ?

Hi everyone. I currently own 2 razors : the Merkur 34C and the 37C. I shave twice weekly, so typically have to shave a 4 day growth and 3 day growth. At the moment, I use both razors for every shave, the 37C for the first 2 passes, and the 34C for the final, clean up pass.

Given the 37C is a slant and considered aggressive, would I be improving my shave if I get the Muhle R41 ? Is this considered an"upgrade" on the 37 C ?

I'm generally happy with my current shaving routine.

Thank you in advance.

Even though you say you're "generally happy" is there anything that you're either dissatisfied by or would consider an upgrade to your current shaves? e.g. smoother, less irritation, etc.?

You've got two fine razors & the Muhle's are also well regarded and certainly nothing wrong with adding to your stable just for the sake of adding.

I have both, i never use the r41, if i want an aggressive shave the 37 provides a closer smoother more efficiant shave then the r41 for me the two arent even close.

Even though you say you're "generally happy" is there anything that you're either dissatisfied by or would consider an upgrade to your current shaves? e.g. smoother, less irritation, etc.?

You've got two fine razors & the Muhle's are also well regarded and certainly nothing wrong with adding to your stable just for the sake of adding.

I have both, i never use the r41, if i want an aggressive shave the 37 provides a closer smoother more efficiant shave then the r41 for me the two arent even close.

Thanks gents.

Canadian Mountain Man - my experience is limited to these 2 razors, so whilst I am generally happy, I guess an upgrade would be smoother, less irritation, being able to do a BBS in 2 passes etc.

rbilly, that's good to know. It's good to hear from someone who has both.

Thanks gents.

Canadian Mountain Man - my experience is limited to these 2 razors, so whilst I am generally happy, I guess an upgrade would be smoother, less irritation, being able to do a BBS in 2 passes etc.

rbilly, that's good to know. It's good to hear from someone who has both.
I bought mine because i thought more aggressive razor was the next step, i have thick beard growth but sensitive skin, the psuedo open comb they use feel like spikes when i shave, i actually feel like the blade exposure is to much as i feel the blade does not have the support it needs, in my trouble areas the blade catches on the hair and basically rips it out, and that was with a feather. In all reality though it may work great for some, as many use it daily with great shaves, but for me i just couldnt get it to work with any blade. When i tried the 37c it was amazing close shave, lasted about 8 hours longer, due to my beard growth i never get a bbs shave, but with this one i did.

rbilly. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. I don't have a thick growth, but it is quite hard and wiry. Maybe the 37C is adequate enough for me, and just like you, maybe the R41 is a step too far.

rbilly. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. I don't have a thick growth, but it is quite hard and wiry. Maybe the 37C is adequate enough for me, and just like you, maybe the R41 is a step too far.

I own an R41 and 39C amongst others and I love them both. As for preference, I have never had the R41 rip hair out, absolutely shed it off yes but not rip it out. I go R41 before 39C. I typically do a 3 pass WTG, XTG and ATG and I get BBS. Voskhod are the blades in it but Perma Sharp Super are also very nice. You can do a two pass shave with an R41 and be quite happy with the result...

I, too, own both the 37C and R41 and really like both. I enjoy the more aggressive nature over the milder 34C, though it is a very fine razor.

The 37C and R41 have very different personalities. I agree that the 37C is a bit smoother, probably more efficient, but it doesn't give me the all around closeness that the R41 does and for me the R41 requires less clean up under the jaw line and neck.

One downside, for me anyway, is the R41 seems more blade sensitive. This may be due to my particular technique, I tend to favor a steeper blade angle. Astra SP is a no go for me in the R41, though it works well in the slant. GSB's and Personna Blue blades work well in both razors. GSB's are my preferred blade.

Another consideration might be your shave schedule. You mention a 3 day and a 4 day growth. I know from experience that the 37C will clog faster on heavy growth, due to a smaller blade gap and closed comb. No big deal, just means more frequent rinsings.

I tend to get long winded sometime, when all I really wanted to say was you will never know until you give it a try. A R41 can be had for under $40. Not a bad investment when compared to many other razors. And I apologize for adding to any more confusion to your already tough decision making process. :001_07:

Thanks Somnos and Roccomon. Appreciate your input.

Somnos, I have looked at the 39c before, but it seems to be better for larger hands. My hands are small.

Roccomon, yes, I also find that the 37c requires more regular sluicing, but as you say, this is no big deal. I can get the r41 for about $55 in my country.

Thanks

I own the R41, 37C, and 39C. The R41 is by far the closest but I can’t use it 2 days in a row. I can use either of the Merkur slants on a daily basis. I will pull one of them out for tomorrow’s shave as it’s been several months since my last slant session.

I have a 39c which is the same head as the 37c with a longer handle. This thing is not aggressive if my book but is very efficient and smooth. I could use this everyday without issue but it's not my favourite razor at the moment. It has been at points in my life but it's kind of an in between razor for me.

My R41 is like a completely different beast. You have to master the angle which is much different than the slant. It's not an overly smooth razor and you can feel it doing it's job and boy does it do it's job. I swear it scares my hair as it buys me at least an extra day between shaves. I find it mild on my skin even though it doesn't feel that way but I can't over do it and there is very little room for error. Some people are terrified of this razor but I have extremely sensitive skin and it can be the mildest razor at times with regards to irritation and ingrown hairs which I get in certain areas. It does catch up with me sometimes so it's not a long term every shave razor for me. If I'm being lazy or aggressive, it will remind me. Sometimes we fight and don't talk for a week or so but we always seem to make up. It's a must have razor for those days you want a smooth shave and feel like a bad *** at the same time.

Really no comparison between the R41 & the 37c. The latter is basically a slightly more efficient 34c, whereas the R41 will scrape your skin off if not used properly. You'll notice immediately when you put the razor on your face, the 37c is a sheep on comparison.

Coincidentally, out of the six razors I've bought, those are the two I kept.

They are entirely different from one another. The merkur 37 is a mild and efficient shaver while the R41 is an aggressive and efficient shaver.

Thanks Somnos and Roccomon. Appreciate your input.

Somnos, I have looked at the 39c before, but it seems to be better for larger hands. My hands are small.

Roccomon, yes, I also find that the 37c requires more regular sluicing, but as you say, this is no big deal. I can get the r41 for about $55 in my country.

Thanks[/QUOTE

I don't have large hands and the handle size on the 39C is not any issue. More weight in fact so you simply guide it along. I love the 39C but the a R41 can't be beat for closeness...

If I hadn't read all the hype about the R41 "Beast" before I bought it, I honestly wouldn't have put it in the especially aggressive category. Super efficient yes, and the results tell you that it is shaving you VERY closely, but I get no more weepers/irritation with it than e.g. a Red Tip Superspeed. i.e. the odd bit only. For me, it wasn't even very efficient to start with, until I found that for me at least, a pretty steep angle was needed unlike all my other DEs. That was its sweet spot, and I did a 4-pass shave daily including 1.5x against the grain, on my sensitive skin (though we all say/think that), with no problems. I've since moved to a Timeless as my one luxury DE - the one big difference is the smoothness of the shave. The R41, as someone above posted, can feel unsmooth during the shave, only to find stellar results after. Give it a go! Or consider a Fattip Piccolo -very similar, but smoother, more forgiving and just a smidgen milder.

If I hadn't read all the hype about the R41 "Beast" before I bought it, I honestly wouldn't have put it in the especially aggressive category. Super efficient yes, and the results tell you that it is shaving you VERY closely, but I get no more weepers/irritation with it than e.g. a Red Tip Superspeed. i.e. the odd bit only. For me, it wasn't even very efficient to start with, until I found that for me at least, a pretty steep angle was needed unlike all my other DEs. That was its sweet spot, and I did a 4-pass shave daily including 1.5x against the grain, on my sensitive skin (though we all say/think that), with no problems. I've since moved to a Timeless as my one luxury DE - the one big difference is the smoothness of the shave. The R41, as someone above posted, can feel unsmooth during the shave, only to find stellar results after. Give it a go! Or consider a Fattip Piccolo -very similar, but smoother, more forgiving and just a smidgen milder.

Good post and I'd echo your sentiments on the r41 being over-hyped for its ease in weepers. However, I've read that the fatip open combs were retooled and are now much less aggressive. I was going to purchase it a few weeks ago and opted out after hearing about the change.

Good post and I'd echo your sentiments on the r41 being over-hyped for its ease in weepers. However, I've read that the fatip open combs were retooled and are now much less aggressive. I was going to purchase it a few weeks ago and opted out after hearing about the change.

Interestingly, the original debut R41 was just a rebadged Fatip Grande head on a different handle. True story! The new Fatips are less aggressive like you said. I love mine.

Really no comparison between the R41 & the 37c. The latter is basically a slightly more efficient 34c, whereas the R41 will scrape your skin off if not used properly. You'll notice immediately when you put the razor on your face, the 37c is a sheep on comparison.

+1! For me the R41 was simply TOO MUCH! The 37c would be more my style. (I actually prefer the 34C, especially when paired with a sharp blade!) Truly YMMV but my opinion is also that these are very different.

I just got the Muhle R41 as my second razor. I was using an old Gillette Slim Twist which is considered mild but it was always cutting me and pulling on me. It is strange with me, I just got the R41 and I've been having lots of razor burn issues and weepers with mild razors, but with this, I get no razor burn and no weepers, even though I'm using feather blades. The shave is so close I experience absolutely no stubble. I go with the grain first and against the grain for the second pass. It seems for me, a more aggressive razor is a milder razor for my face. This can easily be my everyday razor. I don't understand why people can't use it daily, maybe my skin is not as sensitive as I thought. Use a feather with it and it's a dream. I'm surprised at how forgiving it is as I'm not that careful with pressure.

Top Bottom