What's new

Any outdoor + motorcycle fan here?

I did not find it too challenging. However, I must add, I started out of the gate strong. A few minutes into the ride I was pulled over by a state trooper who had an acomplice hidden in the trees with a radar gun. I couldn't believe it! They will not have me as a visitor again!
Yeah, it isn't hard to do if the roads are relatively clear.

Edit: getting the ticket, that is.
Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rode all my life. Started with a 66 Yamaha 305cc. BSA, Hondas, Kwakkers, a few others, last bike was a '76 Wing. I put 60,000 miles on that bike. Did the dirtbike thing with my kids. My daughter (33) rides a Buell XB12R Firebolt and drives a Hellcat 6 sp manual (Yeah, the one with 707hp). Be careful what you teach your kids...

I wanna do the Tail of The Dragon. But it's kinda scary due to all the horror stories you read about it! The other riders - wanting to show off - are the real danger ☣!
It was fun, but I rode it like a flower sniffer the whole way. Seeing the tree at the end decorated like a Christmas tree but with bike parts, was sobering.

Beginning in 1972...

Honda 175. (Virgin Ride)
Honda 350. (Fine Road Bike)
Yamaha 650 (Great Twin)
Kawasaki Triple 500 (Screamer)
Triumph Bonneville 650. (Oil Leaker, Poor Electrical)
Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 (*** AMF)
Suzuki GS 750 (Great All Around Bike, Loved It)
Yamaha Virago 1100 (Shaft Drive, No Chain Maintenance)
Harley Road King Classic 1750 (Overall One Of The Finest Motorcycles I've Ever Ridden)

Add in a few others along the way, that I had for shorter time, and I've enjoyed the experience. Still have all the gear, Langlitz Custom Leathers, Wesco Boots, Motoport Kevlar Full Top and Pants, Gloves... 😊

I live about 80 miles from Deal's Gap.
Flippin' circus. I have ridden it often. Then I came to the point where I knew better. Haven't been near there in years. There are many, many roads just as challenging and fun...but without the gaggle of whiffleheads with video cameras bolted on their helmets all riding like fools.

Try the Keweenaw Peninsula (Lake Superior) ride. The road on the peninsula goes from Ashland? Houghton-Hancock? (Can't remember) to Copper Harbour. My brother and I used to ride the circle tour (around Lake Superior) every year.
The road is good, varying from lake level to several hundred foot cliffs. I don't think there's a straight stretch more than 1/2 mile long. Very little traffic.

I'm on my 23rd motorcycle over the past 50 years. My latest are a BMW F700 GS and a Piaggio MP3 500 (awesome maxi-scooter with 2 front wheels)

I live about 80 miles from Deal's Gap.
Flippin' circus. I have ridden it often. Then I came to the point where I knew better. Haven't been near there in years. There are many, many roads just as challenging and fun...but without the gaggle of whiffleheads with video cameras bolted on their helmets all riding like fools.
True dat. In later years, I really enjoyed some of the mountain roads in western Arkansas, like Route 7 and those nearby. Much calmer, and even more fun.

I recently went trail riding with a 67 and 70 year old. Either had well over 50 years under their belt. Neither was a slouch either. One has won at least one State Senior MC championship.

Got a couple myself. Used to have quote a few, but getting married, buyijg a house and having a toddler changed slot of my hobbies. Lol. That's an 01 KX250 2 stroke, just finished the bottom end on that bike so it's all fresh for the year, and my 06 Honda Hornet 600.

Attachments

• IMG_0769.JPG
    IMG_0769.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0568.JPG
    IMG_0568.JPG
    538.3 KB · Views: 5

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Got a couple myself. Used to have quote a few, but getting married, buyijg a house and having a toddler changed slot of my hobbies. Lol. That's an 01 KX250 2 stroke, just finished the bottom end on that bike so it's all fresh for the year, and my 06 Honda Hornet 600.

I use to race motocross. Nothing serious, just house league. Two strokes rule! lol

This was my 1983 CR250. Great bike, but that left side kick was a PITA haha.

1983 CR 250.jpg Wet.jpg me jumpin over dave.JPG

I knew I had a pic of my old Honda somewhere. 1979 750/4.

honda 750-4.JPG

I've been thinking about finding an old CR500. I really miss dirt bikes but I doubt I'd pop back to my feet as quickly these days lol.

Back when bikes were a real handful and every factory suspension was brutal. Love the old CB 750- Four. The CR is a treat, I was still a little too young yet for those late 70s to 80s bikes. Too young for the big 500s debut, like the 83 YZ490, CR500 etc. I was born in 86, and my Dad had old Yamahas and Honda CBs. I remember he had a few of those Kawasaki KZ/LTD bikes: a 440 and a 750. Then the 90s hit, everything changed drastically from there on out. Motorcycles just keep getting faster and better! Can't keep up with them anymore lol. Nice pictures Esox, I'm sure it feels so good going back in time and digging those up. Keep those shots safe, they're worth a million words!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The old Honda was a great bike. I sold it in...1986 I think. A friend had just bought a 1986 Suzuki GS550 so shortly after that I moved to a Suzuki Gamma, then a GSXR. I do love a 2 stroke though and no other bike I've ever ridden gives the same adrenaline rush as a Gamma.

The friend I bought that Honda from rode a 1982 Kawasaki 1000 LTD. That was a fast bike back then.

Its so long ago it feels like another life.

For several years I rode a Moto Guzzi 750 Breva. I traded it in for a Bonneville that circumstances forced me to sell 3 years ago. I'm dying to get another.
I still own my very first bike, a 1969 Yamaha 125 enduro I bought when I was in junior high. It's been in storage in another state for 40+ years. Someday I'm going to restore it.

The demand and prices of old Honda CBs (350/4, 550, 750, etc) has increased over the past couple of years. It's a shame most of them are being chopped up to become cafe racers. Great bikes.

I think my old 750/4 is still running around. I saw it 4 or 5 years ago. It looked like it needed a new seat, finally lol.

They are so easy to keep running, the motor isn't complicated. Also everything (and I mean everything) is well documented. Oh and the sound. The sound is addicting, the SOHCs have a sweet howl as they approach redline.

They are so easy to keep running, the motor isn't complicated. Also everything (and I mean everything) is well documented. Oh and the sound. The sound is addicting, the SOHCs have a sweet howl as they approach redline.

True dat! It's almost impossible to blow up an inline 4, I've tried! Also, once you understand carburetors and how they work, you can really snag up "headaches" from guys and have them running in minutes for cheap. Have you ridden any of the new fuel injected inline 4s? I had a 2009 R6 for awhile, and the top end on that bike was flat out violent. It pulled like a freight train and was all electronic chip controlled, fly by wire throttle, wideband 02... I had a nice race header, 4 into 1 with a shorty muffler, a Power Commander V that utilized the downstream 02 sensor as a wideband controller that adjusted fuel and ignition timing on the fly. It was neat bike, once my daughter was born, I sold it and got that old Hornet 600 which is a slug compared to the R6. Honda is way more comfortable though.

Top Bottom