What's new

Any other "Tabac-like" soaps?

Tabac is my #1 go-to, both for performance and scent. Are there any other "earthy, leathery, inside of grandma's old purse" smelling soaps that would stack up as comparable to Tabac?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Reef Point Aviator is the best leathery scent; the soul (and flight jacket!) of a WWII Navy carrier pilot is in every tub.

Good stuff.

AA

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I've read that Fine American Blend is similar to Tabac as far as performance goes and that it can stand on it's own.

Soap Commander Drive if you can find a tub is Leather and Vetiver. Doesn't smell like Tabac but in my opinion is an excellent scent.

For performance wise you can look at the Fine Accoutrements line, they are supposed to be the same formula as Tabac.

Haven't heard of one. When investigating Trumper products I thought that their Spanish Leather sounded a bit like Tabac as far as scent profile (leather, rose, spice... etc) but it is only available as a cream. I haven't tried it. I find Tabac to be pretty heavily scented and from what I have read Trumper Spanish Leather is fairly lightly scented. Here is the scent profile of Trumper Spanish Leather Cologne which should be the same as the cream.

Spanish Leather Cologne Geo. F. Trumper cologne - a fragrance for men

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Tabac is my #1 go-to, both for performance and scent. Are there any other "earthy, leathery, inside of grandma's old purse" smelling soaps that would stack up as comparable to Tabac?

Tabac is kind of unique in terms of combining such great performance with that particular scent.
However, I think if you enjoy Tabac you should also try DR Harris "Marlborough". Dr Harris soaps are ones that can match the Tabac performance, and Marlborough is a nice woodsy scent ... not a Tabac clone by any stretch of the imagination, but one that I'd offer as a "if you like this you probably like that too" suggestion.

+1 on DR Harris Marlborough. It is not a heavily scented soap. It kind of disappears during lathering and you pick up a common cologne type scent wafting in and out during the shave. There are some similar notes to Tabac and some different. It is a hard soap like Tabac. For me it is a nice scent, less floral than Tabac. If Tabac was a 5 in each category, then I would rate Marlborough 4 in performance, 3 in scent strength, 4 in post shave feel.

Yeah, the Fine soaps strive to be similar to Tabac in performance, but their scents certainly are much different. Personally I think the soap performs a bit different but not really worse than Tabac, they're both excellent.

If it's that "dirty ashtray in the background" scent you're looking for. Try La Toja. I pick up the same thing.

Some have described Fine American Blend as a close match but I don't sense it. YM, of course, MV.

Performance wise: Fine brand soaps are close. As is NOS AOS tallow hard pucks.

Scent: I think they broke the mould once they formulated Tabacs scent. That or they detonated a pound of C4 in it and then shot the formulator.:001_tt2:

I personally like the scent of Tabac but many do not.

There is only one true Tabac. All hail Tabac, the classic "old lady's purse" scent!
proxy.php

Top Bottom