What's new

any other roasters out there?

Everett529. I'd love to know more about this drum roaster setup you are talking about, Do you have any plans for it? Any details etc...

I'm using a poppery 2 right now, but I don't know how much longer it will last.

Where does everyone get their beans?

I've been getting mine from CCM Coffee. Got some of their brazillian green right now.

Harold,

It has been a small project that I just started recently. In fact, I did most of the work mounting and wiring just last night. I don't need to roast much at a time, but the drum can certainly be replaced very easily with a larger one if needed. The heat gun is strapped to a stand that I had made for something else, but I just cut the legs shorter so the heat would be pointed directly at the middle of the drum. There is a switch and plug on the right side. The top plug on the receptacle is switched, and the bottom one has constant power for the heat gun, so it can heat up and cool down without the drum rotating.

The motor is a 24vDC motor, running off a 12vDC Wall Wart. This still needs some tweaking, as the lower the voltage, the slower it turns. I may end up whipping up a variable power supply on a bread board, and see if I can vary it nicely with a pot. I found 9v works nicely, but for some reason the 9v power adapter I have doesn't want to work.

The reason I went this route for my new one as opposed to a fluid bed popper, is with the popper, agitation, and heat, both rely on the airflow, so if you change 1, all 3 get changed, and it becomes more challenging to control, even if the popper is modded to bits and you have independent fan and heat control. This way the agitation is provided by an external device, and the heat can be controlled independently using a router controller. Plus, I can change the chamber size and shape in the future, and I could even change the heating device, if I find a more suitable method.

$DrumRoaster.jpg

Talk of the roaster aside, the two places I have gotten beans from are Sweet Marias, and GCBC. Both have given mighty tasty results.

Very cool setup! Thanks for the details. Excellent DIY build! Hmmm... I think I have most of those parts lying around... You've got me thinking now...

Tried really hard to burn it off with a super hot heat gun prior to using it, and it didn't want to come off. Its a baked on powder coat of some sort. I figure if i can't make it come off, then it wont come off while roasting.

I have yet to use it with good success, but its a good platform to start out from. I think i may need to add a heat shield to keep the heat in.

are you going to build a enclosure around it to keep the heat in better. also you should do a video of it working once you get it dialed in.

Creative setup you've got going. :thumbup1: How do you find the agitation? Given that the heat gun is mounted in a fixed position I might expect the beans need to be turned over more often to avoid a hotspot. But maybe all those holes are providing enough traction to move them around. I hope it is proceeding well.

I don't know that this is really needed or how much it would help the roast, but when I first looked at the picture I thought something would be needed to move the beans around and focus them under the heat. A 4/6/8 deflection prong setup something like the attached, or one even more elaborate with inverted 'V' down the middle. Just thinking out loud here.

Attachments

• $DrumRoasterFins.jpg
    $DrumRoasterFins.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 32
I have toyed around with the idea of adding agitation aids in the drum, but it really doesnt seem to be needed. The agitation seems to be sufficient. Also, I haven't really noticed the hot spot to be an issue, they really do agitate lots, especially with adjustable agitation speed. I may notice in the future once I get the rest dialed in better that it may need more, but i'm toying with other things right now to keep the roast variance at bay.

I did put a foil pan behind the drum last night for a couple roasts, and now it is getting into the sweet spot. Fastened it down to the wooden base, and curled it over the top, and it really seems to help. Before I was going around 15min on my roasts, and now 1c is starting around 7-8, and I run it until 10-11 or so. At least that's how the Tanzanian, and Maui went last night. Getting into a similar timezone of my Poppery 2. I think with this, I don't necessarily need a can around it to keep the heat super close, but providing a backstop that creates a "Cushion" of hot air behind and around the drum, instead of it just continuing on and dispersing out seems to be doing well.

Another idea my father in law had was that if there is more than enough heat coming from the heat gun, is to slow the heat/airflow down coming from the gun so it doesnt blast past at such a fast rate. Perhaps this will provide better heat penetration. Beans can and should only take a certain amount of heat on at a time (at least this is my understanding) So, I will play around with my router controller on the heat gun as well.

Top Bottom