What's new

Any other Pili Multigemini here?

I stopped shaving as a teen, never much cared why shaving was so unpleasant for me. It just was. Got a roommate in college who suggested we buy DE's. I started researching them, found straight edges, and got interested in them. He forgot about it. In my early 20's after years of using a trimmer and never shaving clean, I quickly got to a point where I actually enjoy shaving thanks to straights. A few years later I mention to my father the odd "thick" hairs I've dealt with in my beard my whole life. He mentions that he gets them too, and gets me thinking it's probably a genetic thing. A little research and it has a name. Pili Multigemini. Basically a follicle, instead of sprouting a single hair, sprouts two, three, or dozens of hairs, oftentimes twined or fused together. Essentially your hair is made of ropes, rather than of strands. It can happen anywhere hair grows. Some people get it on their head, some their legs, for me it's my beard. It's the reason why electric and disposable razors were always so incompetent at shaving me; and so I'm curious how many others here share this problem (It's quite rare, affecting about one in two thousand people).

As a demonstration; here's a picture of a beard hair, a pili multigemini beard hair, and a strand of head hair.

Attachments

• $IMG_20160104_241409231.jpg
    $IMG_20160104_241409231.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 48
I stopped shaving as a teen, never much cared why shaving was so unpleasant for me. It just was. Got a roommate in college who suggested we buy DE's. I started researching them, found straight edges, and got interested in them. He forgot about it. In my early 20's after years of using a trimmer and never shaving clean, I quickly got to a point where I actually enjoy shaving thanks to straights. A few years later I mention to my father the odd "thick" hairs I've dealt with in my beard my whole life. He mentions that he gets them too, and gets me thinking it's probably a genetic thing. A little research and it has a name. Pili Multigemini. Basically a follicle, instead of sprouting a single hair, sprouts two, three, or dozens of hairs, oftentimes twined or fused together. Essentially your hair is made of ropes, rather than of strands. It can happen anywhere hair grows. Some people get it on their head, some their legs, for me it's my beard. It's the reason why electric and disposable razors were always so incompetent at shaving me; and so I'm curious how many others here share this problem (It's quite rare, affecting about one in two thousand people).

As a demonstration; here's a picture of a beard hair, a pili multigemini beard hair, and a strand of head hair.
Google "Morgellons and Pili multigemini"

Top Bottom