What's new

Any opinions on Vielong black horse hair brushes?

I just impulse bought a Vielong Nördik black horse hair brush and I have no idea what to expect. I've read comparisons on the brown/white horse hair brushes and the 50/50 vs 65/35 tail/mane brushes but I can't find any info on the black horse hair brushes? Does anyone have any experience with this brush (or similar)?

This is the brush from the Vielong catalgoue

1624440614913.png

Horses naturally come in a variety of colors. Thus, horsehair brushes come in a variety of colors. I think what matters most is the ratio of mane hair (fine) vs coarse hair (tail) rather than the color.

Yes, horse hair knots will tangle, just like human hair. I have found a few tricks to minimize the tangling.
a. Occasionally apply a hair conditioner (either human or equine) designed to minimize tangling. If you have hard water and soap scum builds up on the hairs, try shampoo. If that does not work, try vinegar followed by shampoo and conditioner.
b. Do not allow the brush to soak as you might do with a badger brush. A quick dip in water before lathering is all that you required. This seems to reduce tangling tendencies.
c. Clean all lather from the knot after shaving. If the hair does exhibit tangling, comb it out using a coarse dressing comb. Start combing about 1/4" below the tips and then gradually work you way down to the base of the knot. If you ever let the brush get badly tangled, apply hair conditioner before you attempt to detangle it. Otherwise you will pull some of the hair of the base.

That's a handsome brush.

I have several Vie Long horse hair brushes. They are among my favorites. I have NEVER had one tangle. But there are things I do with the horse hair brush that I don't do with others. I don't soak them. I don't mash them into the soap or on my face to get the brush to splay. I use painting strokes. I will occasionally run a comb through them, but as a preventative, not to untangle one.

Only had a zenith extra soft as a loaner. Great brush on the floppy side but no tangles and good enough for me to want one in the fall. Only thing do I get extra soft or 50/50?

since vielong has more handle choice that would be interesting for me too.

Horses naturally come in a variety of colors. Thus, horsehair brushes come in a variety of colors. I think what matters most is the ratio of mane hair (fine) vs coarse hair (tail) rather than the color.

Yes, horse hair knots will tangle, just like human hair. I have found a few tricks to minimize the tangling.
a. Occasionally apply a hair conditioner (either human or equine) designed to minimize tangling. If you have hard water and soap scum builds up on the hairs, try shampoo. If that does not work, try vinegar followed by shampoo and conditioner.
b. Do not allow the brush to soak as you might do with a badger brush. A quick dip in water before lathering is all that you required. This seems to reduce tangling tendencies.
c. Clean all lather from the knot after shaving. If the hair does exhibit tangling, comb it out using a coarse dressing comb. Start combing about 1/4" below the tips and then gradually work you way down to the base of the knot. If you ever let the brush get badly tangled, apply hair conditioner before you attempt to detangle it. Otherwise you will pull some of the hair of the base.

That's a handsome brush.

I have several Vie Long horse hair brushes. They are among my favorites. I have NEVER had one tangle. But there are things I do with the horse hair brush that I don't do with others. I don't soak them. I don't mash them into the soap or on my face to get the brush to splay. I use painting strokes. I will occasionally run a comb through them, but as a preventative, not to untangle one.

Thank you both for the advice on avoiding tangles. I general using painting strokes anyway but I wasn't aware that you don't need to soak them for as long as others (I usually use boars that get a long soak while I shower!).

I can't find out what the ratio of main vs tail is on the brush from googling so I will just have to wait and see how it performs! Is there much of a break in time for horse hair (in comparison to boar?)

Is there much of a break in time for horse hair (in comparison to boar?)

They don't take overly long to break in, as I recall. They can be a little scritchy until they do. I don't mind it's scratchiness, though. Some horses can be funky smelling. Like a new car, I like the smell of a new brush, even though some people think new brushes stink.

As for soaking, I treat mine like a synthetic brush. Wet, shake, and lather.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
That's a handsome brush.

I have a high lofted Vielong brown and it’s a champion face painter. I won’t mash it into hard soaps. I primarily use it with soap sticks to face lather and it’s luxuriously soft with little backbone. I use a wide tooth comb as a preventative for tangles, takes seconds really and the brush is tip top. I do recall it being one of the more funky smelling brushes in my stable, but the usual wash and soap/lather sorted things out quickly. Hope you enjoy yours.

They don't take overly long to break in, as I recall. They can be a little scritchy until they do. I don't mind it's scratchiness, though. Some horses can be funky smelling. Like a new car, I like the smell of a new brush, even though some people think new brushes stink.

As for soaking, I treat mine like a synthetic brush. Wet, shake, and lather.

Some horsehair brushes can be pretty funky at first. If the one you get is, wash it in shampoo a couple of times. Then make a couple of lathers using the strongest scented soap you have in your den. I use TOBS sandalwood for this purpose. If the funk is really strong, allow the lather to remain in the knot overnight. That should help.

of

mpoo. The do a few lathers with the most highly scented shaving soap you have. I keep a tub of TOBS sandalwood

that works quite well for that.

Some horsehair brushes can be pretty funky at first. If the one you get is, wash it in shampoo a couple of times. Then make a couple of lathers using the strongest scented soap you have in your den. I use TOBS sandalwood for this purpose. If the funk is really strong, allow the lather to remain in the knot overnight. That should help.

of

mpoo. The do a few lathers with the most highly scented shaving soap you have. I keep a tub of TOBS sandalwood

that works quite well for that.

Thanks for the tips. For new boars I lather up and leave them overnight, so I will probably do that anyway out of habit.

The jury is still out on this one:

vie-long-horse-hair-shaving-brush-12705_3.jpg

Only a few times I used it and there are good things:
  • no horsey got harmed
  • great handle
  • mild horsey aroma went away pretty quick (tabactober helped, lol)
  • great looking piece
  • low price
But. This has zero backbone, even my very soft synthetic brush has some sort of spine, this vielong hasn't any. When the lather is in the bowl it works, but taking a hard soap out of the container is a challenge. Painting tha lather on my face is fine but scrubbing is impossible. I wouldn't go as far as calling it flacid but close enough. I prefer softer brushes but it's just too much for my taste I guess.

The higher percentage of mane hair, the less prickly the brush will usually be. Color is just going to change the appearance.

Shorter lofted horsehair brushes are less likely to develop tangles.

Best to avoid mashing the brush, this can encourage tangling and doughnut holes over time. Good lather can be developed from the tips, you don't have to mash.

There's less backbone than most boar brushes have, but you can adapt to this. Overall, a nice change of pace.

It has probably been said earlier in this thread, but I have found that horsehair brushes work best if you do not soak them before use. Just a quick dip in water followed by a squeeze and shaking is all that is required. If you soak the brushes, they tend to lose any backbone and the hair tangles more easily.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
The jury is still out on this one:

View attachment 1349976

Only a few times I used it and there are good things:
  • no horsey got harmed
  • great handle
  • mild horsey aroma went away pretty quick (tabactober helped, lol)
  • great looking piece
  • low price
But. This has zero backbone, even my very soft synthetic brush has some sort of spine, this vielong hasn't any. When the lather is in the bowl it works, but taking a hard soap out of the container is a challenge. Painting tha lather on my face is fine but scrubbing is impossible. I wouldn't go as far as calling it flacid but close enough. I prefer softer brushes but it's just too much for my taste I guess.
I have one of these, it was my first brush and worked well with Arko. I am thinking about reknotting it synthetic. The handle is actually quite nice!

I have one of these, it was my first brush and worked well with Arko. I am thinking about reknotting it synthetic. The handle is actually quite nice!
The handle on these can crack easily if dropped. Ask me how I know! The shape is nice.

Last edited:

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
The handle on these can crack easily if dropped. Ask me how I know!
Great! Just great!!! Now I'm sure to drop mine the next time I use it.

:lol::lol:

Thanks for the tip, I honestly did not think it would be fragile, I try not to drop things but it happens more and more all the time:thumbup1:

Great! Just great!!! Now I'm sure to drop mine the next time I use it.

:lol::lol:

Thanks for the tip, I honestly did not think it would be fragile, I try not to drop things but it happens more and more all the time:thumbup1:
Talking about this style (Vie-Long & Epsilon sell it):
proxy.php

Evidently the square corners are a stress point. Try to avoid tile floors if possible! Nice brush, though.

😅

Top Bottom