What's new

Any old movie fans out there? (Pre-1960s)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
what a great movie. One of my dearest friends (sadly deceased) was a huge fan of those comedies (passport to pimilico and the like) and we would sit at his apartment into the wee hours laughing at that.
There are a great number of fantastic Ealing Street comedies from the 50s staring Alec Guinness. We normally don't think of him as a comedian ... but he's fantastic at it!

i've been hankering to re-watch The 3rd Man, one of my all-time favorite movies (I'd been listening to the radio series during my commute). I have the DVD, but I was flipping through Netflix and saw it there. To my amazement, Netflix had added subtitles to the German portions. They had never been there before and it helped create the sense of alienation for the audience so we can relate to Holly better. I don't know how to complain to Netflix, but there has to be a way to say, "don't mess with a classic."

i've been hankering to re-watch The 3rd Man, one of my all-time favorite movies (I'd been listening to the radio series during my commute). I have the DVD, but I was flipping through Netflix and saw it there. To my amazement, Netflix had added subtitles to the German portions. They had never been there before and it helped create the sense of alienation for the audience so we can relate to Holly better. I don't know how to complain to Netflix, but there has to be a way to say, "don't mess with a classic."

This might be my favorite "film noir." It's tough to pick a favorite but the feeling of Postwar Europe is such a great setting. Another good one that I watched recently was Night and the City. Richard Widmark running through the bombed out buildings looks cool. They just don't make them like they used to.

scarface Howard Hawks,1932 , that´s the movie who turn us onto retro clothing me and my friends when we were young . anything with fred astaire , it was a real dandy . charlie chaplin . some italian movies like "il fanfaronne ( victorio gassman) , funny .

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I like good movies from any era. As someone born just before the 60's I am very nostalgic about movies I grew up with. I will say that I've managed to find some horrible dreck from the 40's and 50's. Not everything was wonderful.

I like good movies from any era. As someone born just before the 60's I am very nostalgic about movies I grew up with. I will say that I've managed to find some horrible dreck from the 40's and 50's. Not everything was wonderful.
agreed, I've had this discussion many times with friends who are film buffs. My contention is the percentage of good movies varies little from year to year, era to era. It's just they made thousands of films in a year in 1940's, whereas that number has dropped considerably in this era. There's still a lot of quality out there.

I'm not too much of a movie guy, so I'm not going to be able to name specifics, but I like the pacing and depth of the older movies. Movies these days are made for the attention span of a gnat, and that makes them quite predictable. You know when "interesting twist #2" is coming, just by the rhythm of the movie. Older movies are much more drawn out and deep, making them less predictable and more entertaining to me.

I recently watched Night Of The Hunter and I was struck by how much I liked the use of shadow and light in that movie. Comedies seem to come to mind, the Marx Brothers movies, Some Like It Hot, The Thin Man. Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers were a lot of fun to watch. I often see movies on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) that I'd like to watch but my cable provider doesn't offer access unless you pay a premium for it.

I'm not too much of a movie guy, so I'm not going to be able to name specifics, but I like the pacing and depth of the older movies. Movies these days are made for the attention span of a gnat, and that makes them quite predictable. You know when "interesting twist #2" is coming, just by the rhythm of the movie. Older movies are much more drawn out and deep, making them less predictable and more entertaining to me.
Predictability is the downfall of newer movies...a big reason why I don't watch them. I can usually tell the whole plot and storyline within the first ten minutes...which is about when I start nodding off. If you have watched the trailer you have seen the main plot. The old movies were less predictable. IMO.

Top Bottom