What's new

Any old movie fans out there? (Pre-1960s)

I've got quite a collection of DVDs of the old classics. I must have watched The Maltese Falcon a hundred times, and I'm not tired of it yet, though I can damn near recite the dialogue. How about The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre, or His Girl Friday, Cary Grant and Roz Russel, or Arsenic and Old Lace, Grant was such a great comedian.
White Heat, Jimmy Cagney, Detective Story, a very young Kirk Douglas with William Bendix. Richard Widmark in Pickup On South Street and Edward G Robinson in Scarlet Street. Silents are great too such as the Fatty Arbuckle & Buster Keaton shorts, Lon Chaney, William S Hart. To see the definition of charisma and screen presence personified, Douglas Fairbanks Sr. in The Thief of Baghdad, or The Mark Of Zorro. I can never watch the end of City Lights with Chaplin without crying. Wowsa.
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is one I can watch repeatedly (that and The Third Man). My daughter had to do a paper on a film for film class from a list of classics the teacher provided. She showed me the list and I saw Treasure among some other really good (and some not so) movies. I said, "no one in your class will select this because they haven't heard of it. Choose it, you'll love it and there are so many different things you could write about for it." She got an A for her paper and a newfound respect for Bogart as an actor. Plus she's about the only one in her age group who knows where the "badges" quote comes from.

Plus she's about the only one in her age group who knows where the "badges" quote comes from.

Kudos to her for learning that the quote didn't come from "Blazing Saddles."

I think Billy Crystal quoted the movie in "City Slickers" as well (?)

I also like a lot of the early gangster films: Little Caesar with Edward G Robinson; White Heat with James Cagney. But my favourite Cagney film is Angels With Dirty Faces - the end scene never fails to bring a tear to my eye.

The gold watch scene in She Wore A Yellow Ribbon gets me every time. For some strange reason the room always gets dusty at that point!
Citizen Kane, of course, is up there. The technical brilliance of the film is a marvel to behold, and after numerous viewings I'm still amazed that there are new things to discover.

Hmmm, let's see...
  • The Magnificent Seven (1960 - a bit late, but I like it)
  • Seven Samurai (1957 - Love the big fight scene in the pouring rain.)
  • The Defiant Ones (..."1958 crime film which tells the story of two escaped prisoners, one white and one black, who are shackled together and who must co-operate in order to survive. It stars Tony Curtis and Sidney Poitier.")
  • Some Like it Hot (1959, with Marilyn Monroe)
  • Seven Year Itch (1955, also with MM)
    Metropolis (1927, dir. Fritz Lang)
  • Forbidden Planet (1956, essentially Shakespeare's "The Tempest" meets "Star Trek")
  • Fantasia (1940, awesome animation for the time)
  • any Marx Brothers movie
  • any Charlie Chaplin movie
  • Rear Window (1954)
  • White Heat (1949 - I mostly like the "Made it, Ma! Top of the world!" ending)
  • The Vikings (1954, Kirk Douglas, Tony Curtis, Janet Leigh)
  • On The Beach (1959)
  • Suddenly, Last Summer (1959 - the British made-for-tv version in 1993 was good too)
  • The Lost Weekend (1945)
  • Lost Horizon (1937, dir. Frank Capra. Won 2 Oscars, nominated for 5 more. Sadly, there are now no complete prints of this movie, only patched-together restorations, with some scenes that are just stills with soundtrack added.)
But my favourite Cagney film is Angels With Dirty Faces - the end scene never fails to bring a tear to my eye.
Yup.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Rusty:
Hmmm...where does one start
proxy.php

Well, I like all of Chaplin’s, Welles and Hicthcock’s films during the time range you requested and movies from the books of Hemingway (“The Sun Also Rises” [57], “The Old Man and the Sea” [58] and “The Gun Runners” [58]), and other films from “The Maltese Falcon” (41), to “Casablanca” (42), and “The Long, Hot Summer (58) and so many more on Turner Classic Movies (TCM). :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"A film [and TV] is never really good unless the camera is an eye in the head of a poet". Orson Welles

Last edited:
I just came back from a movie theater showing of North by Northwest, c/o TCM. Packed house! Good movie, but not as good as To Catch A Thief (and they are very similar).

I have DVDs of movies going back to Buster Keaton's The General. Casablanca, of course. Preston Sturges' Miracle of Morgans Creek, and some other Hitchcock as well - big Hitch fan.

When I quit smoking I started buying DVD's every pay day to reward myself. After 15 years I've got a pretty good collection, particularly of classics. I got both of my kids hooked on the Marx Brothers (my oldest loves Horse Feathers best, but she was in college at the time), and they both have watched Keaton, Chaplin, Lloyd and even some Langdon. My youngest (she was 14 when first exposed) is in love with Jimmy Stewart primarily because of Mr. Smith Goes To Washington.

My favorite movie of all time is Citizen Kane. Beyond that I greatly enjoy 1925 Lon Chaney in the Phantom of the Opera and 1933 King Kong.

I'm listening to The Third Man radio series from the early 1950's on my commute. Makes me want to watch the movie again, one of repeated viewing classics.

The Big Combo (1955) with Richard Conte is another favourite...and of course Casablanca. And I really enjoy a lot of the old radio shows...and many are easy to access on the internet.

rebecca.jpg
For me they don't have to be B&W. John Wayne is my favorite actor, love all of his work right up until his last and best (The Shootist).
My wife's favorite is Rebecca, I like it too.

Not particularly, although a few of my old time favourites predate the sixties. But here are a few:
M
Metropolis
The Lost World
King Kong
Son of Kong
The Thin

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Just watched Key Largo and Rogue Male a few days ago.
Got a collection of 4 WWI movies from the Library.. Sergeant York (Gary Cooper) and Dawn Patrol (Errol Flynn) and two silents films ...The Big Parade (John Gilbert 1925) and Wings (Clara Bow 1927)
Holding The Misfits for a Sunday Movie Fest

Top Bottom