What's new

Any New Fall/Winter Fragrances in Your Rotation?

Cooler weather has finally arrived in southeast Virginia, USA and I took the time this past weekend to pack up my spring/summer scents and unboxed and shelved my fall/winter fragrances.

I was surprised at how many I had. I started my fragrance collecting with the more old-school scents--Quorum, Aramis, Azzaro, Polo, Halston. The first time I smelled a "sweet" fall fragrance, I think it was Cuba Prestige, I didn't like it. Now, many of my new cool weather fragrances contain a sweet component.

Anyway, I have several new fragrances I'm looking forward to getting some skin time:

• CK Obsession Night for Men
  • CK Eternity Flame
  • John Varvatos Dark Rebel
  • Zara Gourmand Leather 2019
  • L'ea D'issy Pour Homme Wood & Wood
  • Bentley Infinite Intense
What's new for you?

I always have these on the shelf, but here are the fall/winter scents that will get wear this year:

- Floris Santal
- Floris Leather Oud
- Penhaligon's Douro
- Dyptique Tam Dao
- Geo F Trumper Astor
- Geo F Trumper Curzon
- CdG Monocle Hinoki
- Givenchy LPM Xeryus
- Parfums de Nicolai New York
- Houbigant Fougere Royale
- Maitre Parfumeur Gantier Santal Noble

I've just added Halfeti by Penhaligon's. Lovely for this time of year. I note Steffen's Douro, which I also love but for me, its a lighter scent better suited to warmer temps.

I've just added Halfeti by Penhaligon's. Lovely for this time of year. I note Steffen's Douro, which I also love but for me, its a lighter scent better suited to warmer temps.
Douro is an interesting one. I wore it during cooler summer days this year and it works fine. But I think the heavy oakmoss and sandalwood base really lends itself to cooler weather. I would not wear it during really cold weather though...too light for that.

No new ones, I'm happy with the ones I've already got: Tabac and Dior Homme Intense. I've also got one unopened bottle of the pre 2014 C&E Sandalwood as well as a two bottles of the discontinued original JPG kokorico.

The winters this far north are long, dark and cold.

Not new to me, but I just got out my bottle of Lorenzo Villoresi Piper Nigrum. Seems very Fall/Winter to me. I really like it. Very well priced from various sources these days it looks like.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I have some unopened bottles of Penhaligon's Sartorial and Hammam Bouquet that I'm looking forward to using, and at the other end of the cost spectrum about two weeks ago I bought some Dunhill Custom, Dunhill Edition, & Yardley Gentleman Elite. Terrific value in some of these Dunhill frags. I found them in combo sets with after shave balm. I've had the 'original' Dunhill for Men cologne and balm for some time and the quality is right there. Just superb.

Owen Bawn

I just remembered two others that I bought in my end-of-October frag frenzy, both by 4711. The Wakening Woods of Scandinavia Intense Colonia, and the Pure Breeze of Himalaya Intense Colonia. Much better longevity than typical 4711 colonia. The Wakening Woods is a terrific green scent, but the jury's still out on the Himalaya. It really does have an aura of cold air about it, but it's a really feminine cold air, if such a thing were possible. We'll see. Reasonably priced in attractive 170ml/5.7 oz bottles that could almost pass for Waterford Crystal.
Himalya.jpg
wakening woods.jpg

Owen Bawn

I must sing the praises of Dunhill Custom as an autumnal frag. A simple blend of apple, incense, black pepper, and cedar. You don't have to have a trained nose in order to identify those notes- each of them stands out clearly yet they combine to create an absolutely brilliant masculine autumnal scent. I bought it in a package deal with the matching after shave balm. Today was only my second use of these products but I am clearly smitten. I cannot believe this fragrance only costs $20-$25 on eBay or on the grey market.

dunhill custom.jpg

I must sing the praises of Dunhill Custom as an autumnal frag.
This made me dig up my ten-year-old bottle of Custom and give it a spray. Very nice. When it was among my first dozen fragrances, it got a good amount of use. Has been sort of neglected since growing my collection to over 100 scents.

Classy bottle design too.

I just received a bottle of Azzaro Visit. Warm spicy woods. Pretty nice at first sniff, especially for the price. It'll probably become a regular in the fall/winter rotation.

Top Bottom