What's new

Any new blades in the last 12 months worth trying?

@Abz88 definitely not the same blade. Platinum is less sharp and less smooth (although it felt a better than Blue logo Platinum but that might be due to the razor).
24h stubble. WTG+XTG.
I used the exact same equipment yesterday with KCG blade and the shave was better.

Next test will be the KCG blade in EJ316 to compare with Nacet, since this is my favourite combo.

Regarding cost: If a pack of 10 lasts me for one month (30 shaves give or take 1-2) they are still half the price of what I used to pay for carts. My problem is that I cannot source them locally and shipping is on the steep side, so Nacets are a clear winner in cost per blade (I get 3-4 shaves out of one).

I agree they are not the same blade. Still the KCGs are closer to the light blue (white logo) Platinums rather than the Dark Blues (blue logo). The KCGs are sharper but in my experience equally smooth.
I foresee a pack of 10 will last me 80-100 shaves. They are very longeve even if by shave n.7-8 they suddenly lose most of their sharpness still retaining all the smoothness. That is the same peculiar behavior of the light blue Platinums and maybe that's why someone think they are the same blade.
The KCGs are premium blades for sure.

Thanks so far gents. :)

I never got to try a polsilver so I'm very interested in giving a wizemat a go. Same with Kai and perma sharp, two blades I never got round to buying. I've found Gillette nacet to be the best blades I've used in regards to smoothness, quality of shave and quantity of shaves. I'm still using my fatip piccolo as my favourite and I sold every single vintage Gillette I had after summer.

My current blade collections has:
Astra sp
Derby
Feather
Nacet
Personna blue
BIC chrome
Shark stainless
Tiger platinum
Super max ss
Gillette silver blue
Treet platinum
Voshkod

You have a very wide range of blades ranging from rather mild Treet Platinum, Shark Stainless, and Derby to the super sharp Feather, Nacet, and BIC Chrome Platinum. I would be very surprised if you like all of them equally. However, some people like me need sharper blades and some people are just fine with less sharp blades.

Two lesser known blades that I very much enjoy are the Dorco Prime Platinum STP301 blade and the SuperMax Blue Diamond Platinum blades. They are both very sharp, yet smooth.

Although I am not a fan of the Astra SP blades, I do like the Astra Superior Stainless blades.

Are the Personna blue blades you have the "Comfort Coated" ones made in the USA? They are the ones we call Lab Blues. There are also Personna Platinum blades formerly made in Israel and now made in Germany. Some of the blades made in Israel were sold in blue packaging for the UK market, some of the Israeli ones were in red packaging. I like the Lab Blues but much prefer the Israeli or German blades.

You have a very wide range of blades ranging from rather mild Treet Platinum, Shark Stainless, and Derby to the super sharp Feather, Nacet, and BIC Chrome Platinum. I would be very surprised if you like all of them equally. However, some people like me need sharper blades and some people are just fine with less sharp blades.

Two lesser known blades that I very much enjoy are the Dorco Prime Platinum STP301 blade and the SuperMax Blue Diamond Platinum blades. They are both very sharp, yet smooth.

Although I am not a fan of the Astra SP blades, I do like the Astra Superior Stainless blades.

Are the Personna blue blades you have the "Comfort Coated" ones made in the USA? They are the ones we call Lab Blues. There are also Personna Platinum blades formerly made in Israel and now made in Germany. Some of the blades made in Israel were sold in blue packaging for the UK market, some of the Israeli ones were in red packaging. I like the Lab Blues but much prefer the Israeli or German blades.

How would you rate the Dorco Prime Platinums in sharpness compared to something like a BIC Chrome Platinum? Have you tried the other 301 Dorco blade, the Red Platinum Stainless ST301?

How would you rate the Dorco Prime Platinums in sharpness compared to something like a BIC Chrome Platinum? Have you tried the other 301 Dorco blade, the Red Platinum Stainless ST301?

The Dorco Prime Platinums STP301are made in a state of the art facility in Vietnam. The older ST300 and ST301 blades may still be made in Korea. I have not tried those other blades. The Dorco Primes are some of the best blades in my collection. They compete well with BIC Chrome Platinum, Gillette Super Platinum Blacks, and Personna Israeli Reds in providing both a very sharp, yet very smooth edge. Gillette Nacets are just as sharp, but not as smooth. I won't claim that they are sharper than BICs as nothing beats BICS for sharpness over several shaves. Although Feather blades are sharper out of the package, the edge deteriorates quickly.

Since the other blades are more expensive than the Dorco Primes, they are quite a good value. I highly recommend them. The only other blade that compares in sharpness, smoothness and value is the Astra Superior Stainless.

Dorco Prime Platinums are decent blades, still not above average in my book. Not even close to Bic sharpness. Dorco ST301 are two steps above the ST300. Dorco Prime-> Dorco ST301-->Dorco Titan->Dorco ST300
An approximate rating would be: Prime 6.5/10; ST301 6/10; Titan 5/10; ST300 4.5/10

I can feel a distinctive family trait in Dorco blades, including their carts. Maybe it's the honing.

The Dorco Prime Platinums STP301are made in a state of the art facility in Vietnam. The older ST300 and ST301 blades may still be made in Korea. I have not tried those other blades. The Dorco Primes are some of the best blades in my collection. They compete well with BIC Chrome Platinum, Gillette Super Platinum Blacks, and Personna Israeli Reds in providing both a very sharp, yet very smooth edge. Gillette Nacets are just as sharp, but not as smooth. I won't claim that they are sharper than BICs as nothing beats BICS for sharpness over several shaves. Although Feather blades are sharper out of the package, the edge deteriorates quickly.

Since the other blades are more expensive than the Dorco Primes, they are quite a good value. I highly recommend them. The only other blade that compares in sharpness, smoothness and value is the Astra Superior Stainless.

Thanks, BIC Chromes and Israeli Reds are my current top two blades, so something that sits in between them in sharpness and is cheaper sounds good to me! (I have some Astra SS on route as well, sounds like I'll get along with them also, unlike the SP that I find too dull)

Top Bottom