What's new

Any new blades in the last 12 months worth trying?

As per title, any new blades in the last 12 months that are worth a go? I've not been active in the forum since summer so I'm just looking to see if I've missed anything. :)

Back in December, I purchased the new KCG razor and blade set from Walgreens and the KCG blades were great. They are a little pricey but they are sharp and smooth. Some have said that they think the blades are rebranded Gillette Platinums. I don't know fi they are, but they've got great etching on them and perform very nicely.

I agree with Grundi--I've been very impressed with the King C. Gillette blades. Wouldn't be surprised at all if they're a rebranding of some other Gillette model, but while I haven't done a side-by-side comparison, the Gillette Platinums haven't impressed me as much as the KCG.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I you have a few mild razors and want to bump them up a notch I suggest trying the KAI SS DE blade. I started using them in June and really like them in certain razors, they are a little wider than a standard Gillette blade by .009", so per side you increase blade exposure or blade feel by .0045". I might sound repetitive to some but a lot of folks are unaware of this great blade IMO. The blade is Sharp & smooth and has excellent longevity. A couple of tucks are nice to have in the shave Den.

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

I agree with Grundi--I've been very impressed with the King C. Gillette blades. Wouldn't be surprised at all if they're a rebranding of some other Gillette model, but while I haven't done a side-by-side comparison, the Gillette Platinums haven't impressed me as much as the KCG.
I've had some nice shaves with the King C blades as well and I'd heard that they are the same as the Gillette Platinum's with the white writing as opposed to the Gillette Platinum's with the blue/platinum writing (although there's a debate as to whether or not those blades are different or one and the same)

1611140847026.png

1611140769045.png

I'm not sure how new they are, but the Asco Platinum orange has really been working for me. They don't last as long as other blades, but they feel sharp and smooth from start to finish. I am not really about longevity - more about quality. Plus, I have RBAD so I have no shortage of blades.

Personna Platinums (Israeli Reds) are now produced in Germany. For me and most others they feel the same but try them.

Also there is now a Gillette Minora stainless from PPI widely available. Decent middle of the pack blade.
7100334E-CF82-4E5B-8890-E6E984440549.jpeg

During the last year I finished trying out the Shark line up and would say that all three are worth a try!

The only blades released in the last year that I know of are the KCGs (never tried), Yellow Minora Stainless (not bad - middle of the pack as mentioned above) and Derby USTA (Never tried but getting rave reviews).

Wizamets (rebranded Polsilvers?) are getting hugely popular as well.

Last edited:
I've had some nice shaves with the King C blades as well and I'd heard that they are the same as the Gillette Platinum's with the white writing as opposed to the Gillette Platinum's with the blue/platinum writing (although there's a debate as to whether or not those blades are different or one and the same)

View attachment 1210866
View attachment 1210864

One more vote for KCG blades.
I happen to have both Platinums. The blue/platinum writing (2nd pic) are nowhere near KCG, neither in sharpness nor in smoothness.
Gillette Platinum's with the white writing (1st pic) are in line to be tested and will report.
Honestly KCG blades, when loaded in KCG razor, remind me a lot of Nacets (same sharpness, maybe a hair split smoother).
I will load a KCG blade in EJ316 to get more feedback.

Though it would not surprise me KCG to be entirely new blades. The profit comes from the blades, not the razor..

Thanks so far gents. :)

I never got to try a polsilver so I'm very interested in giving a wizemat a go. Same with Kai and perma sharp, two blades I never got round to buying. I've found Gillette nacet to be the best blades I've used in regards to smoothness, quality of shave and quantity of shaves. I'm still using my fatip piccolo as my favourite and I sold every single vintage Gillette I had after summer.

My current blade collections has:
Astra sp
Derby
Feather
Nacet
Personna blue
BIC chrome
Shark stainless
Tiger platinum
Super max ss
Gillette silver blue
Treet platinum
Voshkod

One more vote for KCG blades.
I happen to have both Platinums. The blue/platinum writing (2nd pic) are nowhere near KCG, neither in sharpness nor in smoothness.
Gillette Platinum's with the white writing (1st pic) are in line to be tested and will report.
Honestly KCG blades, when loaded in KCG razor, remind me a lot of Nacets (same sharpness, maybe a hair split smoother).
I will load a KCG blade in EJ316 to get more feedback.

Though it would not surprise me KCG to be entirely new blades. The profit comes from the blades, not the razor..

I'd be interested to hear your take on the KCG vs the Platinum Whites. As much as I like the KCG's I wouldn't pay the £5 for 10 of them that they currently retail for.

sotd20022021.jpg

@Abz88 definitely not the same blade. Platinum is less sharp and less smooth (although it felt a better than Blue logo Platinum but that might be due to the razor).
24h stubble. WTG+XTG.
I used the exact same equipment yesterday with KCG blade and the shave was better.

Next test will be the KCG blade in EJ316 to compare with Nacet, since this is my favourite combo.

Regarding cost: If a pack of 10 lasts me for one month (30 shaves give or take 1-2) they are still half the price of what I used to pay for carts. My problem is that I cannot source them locally and shipping is on the steep side, so Nacets are a clear winner in cost per blade (I get 3-4 shaves out of one).

Last edited:
I like Feather blades myself and it's pretty much all I use unless I'm trying to get rid of some older blades that I still have around.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

I never got to try a polsilver so I'm very interested in giving a wizemat a go. Same with Kai and perma sharp, two blades I never got round to buying. I've found Gillette nacet to be the best blades I've used in regards to smoothness, quality of shave and quantity of shaves. I'm still using my fatip piccolo as my favourite and I sold every single vintage Gillette I had after summer.

Astra sp
Derby
Feather
Nacet
Personna blue
BIC chrome
Shark stainless
Tiger platinum
Super max ss
Gillette silver blue
Treet platinum
Voshkod
You have a solid collection of current blades already IMO.

View attachment 1211036

@Abz88 definitely not the same blade. Platinum is less sharp and less smooth (although it felt a better than Blue logo Platinum but that might be due to the razor).
24h stubble. WTG+XTG.
I used the exact same equipment yesterday with KCG blade and the shave was better.

Next test will be the KCG blade in EJ316 to compare with Nacet, since this is my favourite combo.

Regarding cost: If a pack of 10 lasts me for one month (30 shaves give or take 1-2) they are still half the price of what I used to pay for carts. My problem is that I cannot source them locally and shipping is on the steep side, so Nacets are a clear winner in cost per blade (I get 3-4 shaves out of one).
That's interesting, if heard others claim they are one and the same so it must be very much a YMMV may vary scenario.

I think I will have to source some Nacets and Platinum Whites to see how my own face feels about them (any excuse to buy more blades 😂)

That's interesting, if heard others claim they are one and the same so it must be very much a YMMV may vary scenario.

I think I will have to source some Nacets and Platinum Whites to see how my own face feels about them (any excuse to buy more blades 😂)
I had a run of both Platinums over the last couple of shaves with a slight preference for the dark blue/white/silver over the light blue/white. The Nacets are a completely different animal. This is the only blade that ever felt prickly sharp to me. I have to revisit Feathers - I used them years ago - sometime soon if this is the same felt sharpness.

My favorite out of the PPI stable are Perma-Sharps followed by the Silver Blues and the dark Platinums.

Back to @Samon `s question on new blades, I've not tried them yet, but I got these blades as a freebie from Connaught (I believe they only started to stock them fairly recently and are a relatively new blade).

20200903_104742.jpg

Astra sp
Derby
Feather
Nacet
Personna blue
BIC chrome
Shark stainless
Tiger platinum
Super max ss
Gillette silver blue
Treet platinum
Voshkod
The Wizamet IRs are some of my favorite blades. The best place to order them is here: Wizashave

Top Bottom