What's new

Any negative effect on leather from using paste?

I'm planning on a TM latigo and linen strop; I also have some Thiers-Issard sharpening paste coming that I was going to apply to the rough side of the latigo with the idea of having a 3 in 1 strop and using the pasted leather side only occasionally.

My question is if the paste would have any ill effect on the leather that would reduce its longevity, I may even just try it on the rough side of the practice strop first. Any advise guys? I guess I'm just affraid to ruin a perfect TM strop :redface:

I don't think it would have any ill effect. After all its designed to be used on leather.

Not all strops have rough sides that are designed to be used. You need to closely check the surface to make sure you have one that can be used for stropping.

Thanks bigspendur, I just figure I'd ask since my ignorance on the subject right now is pretty high.

I actually threw the question at Tony himself, he made mention that he didn't know how the nap on the back of the latigo strip would react with the paste and that it could instead get rougher with time creating a surface that would be prone to rounding out an edge. He was just theorizing, but I certainly don't want to be the one to prove it either way. What you say certainly matches up and does give me an answer with regards to not every surface on a strop can be suitable.

Top Bottom