What's new

....Any MUSICIAN'S Out There?

Guitar player of almost 19 years here. I'll play anything, the last band i was in we did mostly classic rock type stuff with a little christian music and some pop type music. All music is great. It can change your mood into anything you want it to be!! My current setup:

90's Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey ValveKing amp
SKB effects board with numerous pedals
Planet Waves cables.

I've been playing Alto and Tenor Sax for about 14 years. Trumpet for 12 years. And bass guitar for about 3 years off and on. Sax is my main love. I'd like to learn piano one day. I feel like it's just a good skill to know either guitar or piano.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Wow, how could I have forgotten? I play some double bass as well. Had to find an affordable lefty. That was hard. But it's all good now.

Ethan,

I think Englehardt is one of the few commercial makers doing a lefty. Upton will build any of their models to a left handed version for an additional fee.

Luckily being right handed I have more choices. While the Upton I pictured is on my wish list I have been trying a number of older Kays. Vintage just speaks to me a bit more.

Tony

Awesome...

Quote:

Originally Posted by galopede
My main instrument is the melodeon, the button box. See avatar for my favourite one of the four I have!

Also play mandolin, guitar, ukulele, Irish tenor banjo and a bit of fiddle.

Gareth

Not so awesome when you consider that the fiddle, mandolin and Irish Tenor banjo all have the same fingering!

Gareth

yes awesome that you play more than one instrument..
Awesome...

Quote:

Originally Posted by galopede
My main instrument is the melodeon, the button box. See avatar for my favourite one of the four I have!

Also play mandolin, guitar, ukulele, Irish tenor banjo and a bit of fiddle.

Gareth

Not so awesome when you consider that the fiddle, mandolin and Irish Tenor banjo all have the same fingering!

Gareth

the best jazz is close to here in New Orleans.....rally hard to beat the sax,smooth....
I've been playing Alto and Tenor Sax for about 14 years. Trumpet for 12 years. And bass guitar for about 3 years off and on. Sax is my main love. I'd like to learn piano one day. I feel like it's just a good skill to know either guitar or piano.

Hey Bill,great set up...Same here really love classic rock and yes "all music is great"!
Guitar player of almost 19 years here. I'll play anything, the last band i was in we did mostly classic rock type stuff with a little christian music and some pop type music. All music is great. It can change your mood into anything you want it to be!! My current setup:

90's Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey ValveKing amp
SKB effects board with numerous pedals
Planet Waves cables.

Ethan,

I think Englehardt is one of the few commercial makers doing a lefty. Upton will build any of their models to a left handed version for an additional fee.

Luckily being right handed I have more choices. While the Upton I pictured is on my wish list I have been trying a number of older Kays. Vintage just speaks to me a bit more.

Tony

I looked into Upton when I was searching. But when I say cheap, I meant CHEAP haha. I wasn't 100% sure I'd love it, so I didn't want to sink a lot into it, especially since the market for lefty basses is so small. It would be hard to resell, I'd think.

I got mine from FreedomGuitar.com It was about $500 I think...
It has served my purposes well, though I need a pickup.

I'd love a fully carved lefty sometime in my life!

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Ethan,
I understand cheap. I'm playing a $500 Chinese import I picked up locally. The guys has had it 5 years before me and did about 60 gigs with it and its still holding together. Pretty good for a chinese bass. It was enough to spark my interest and to learn a bit on but I want something with some mojo and vintage looks. They take up some prime real estate in the house so I might as well love how it looks too.

I'm seriuosly considering this 1944 Kay. A real thumper and plenty of honest age.

Tony

Tony,
That's pretty snazzy! And I know what you mean: In my room I have an Upright Piano, Upright bass, 4x10 SWR cab, Fender American Deluxe Bass, A 61 key midi keyboard on my desk, a ukulele and a newly restrung righty turned lefty electric guitar. Maybe a 10x12 room? Luckily they all double as pieces of art haha!

Pull the trigger on that Kay Tony! NOW! :)

Last edited:
Lot of bass players here. :thumbup:

I started on bass, but lately just been playing alot more guitar. Im selling off my bass rig Swr 550x and Mesa 1x15 since I dont jam w/ friends anymore and it doesnt work to well being an apartment dweller. Im debating on pulling the trigger and picking up an Eleven Rack.

Lot of bass players here. :thumbup:

I started on bass, but lately just been playing alot more guitar. Im selling off my bass rig Swr 550x and Mesa 1x15 since I dont jam w/ friends anymore and it doesnt work to well being an apartment dweller. Im debating on pulling the trigger and picking up an Eleven Rack.

Yeah, apartments are a lose-lose situation for us....I'm debating whether to sell-off my Carvin stack of 1000w, 1x15 + 4x10 since I can only use it in the (large) rehearsal studios.

I should really explore some of the better low-power tube amps out there.

I started out on drums, switched to the sax (alto and tenor) for many years, with guitar, too. Unfortunately, a couple of accidents damaged my hands, so I'm now a listener.

About 6 years ago (age 13), I started with a year's worth of drum lessons before I dropped them (felt too much like work, and I prefer learning at my own pace), then I taught myself bass, then guitar, and then I sort of decided I wanted to learn whatever instrument I could get my hands on, so I also have a bit of harmonica and violin, and then I started making banjo ukuleles out of cookie tins (highly reccomended by the way, much easier than you think it'd be). I'm really only proficient in bass, guitar, and ukulele, and intermediate in drums.

I have played all kinds of stuff... started playing guitar about 17 years ago, and hadn't played for about the last 3 years... picked it up recently and was a bit rusty.

Guitar - Gibson Les Paul
Amp - Vox AC30 tube amp
effects - to many pedals to mention
String - Ernie Ball Slinkies

Been playing for 30+ years - did the band route for a long time - pretty well know locally and it was a lot of fun.

Drums here, since I was 8 (About 32 years now). I love Southern Rock (Molly Hatchet, Skynard, Bad Company) but also some Alternative (Thrid Eye Blind) and some classic rock.

In-between bands right now, I am always looking!

I've recorded a few times (where are those masters?) and toured Scotland a few years back with my last band.

I am a born again guitarist, quit for about thirty years,picked it back up after my divorce in late 2006....electric,blues rock metal punk...my 15 yr old son plays bass and guitar as well as drums and he is better than I am!

Top Bottom