What's new

....Any MUSICIAN'S Out There?

Semi-professional opera singer. Still got two years of university till I can call myself professional but I do earn money through operas. Also got 15 years of violin and viola under the belt :)

Bass Guitar (Spector)
Acoustic Guitar (Seagull)

I did play electric guitar, but I sold all my gear many years ago.
I've regretted it as of recently.

SWMBO plays a bit of piano.

In elementary school I played the French Horn (I was roped into it)
In highschool it was the Trumpet. (I stunk at that)

Two of my friends played the guitar and drums respectively. They were both very good. I wanted to join the fun and the guitar player handed me a bass guitar and said "here, play this".
I had no clue what to do. He showed me the basics and off we went.
I taught myself from there.

We got pretty good. We played Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Van Halen, a bunch of rockin' tunes. Most of which I can't remember. Those were goooood times.

Tony, that looks like a pretty nice bass! I just sold my double bass after years of battling a hand injury. Now I just play electric. Here I am....

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyCV2SVDP_s&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Wow. Very impressive -- great pocket. And it looks like a fun one to play!

EDIT: Nice shave, too.

I've been playing guitar for 15 years. Bass is my main instrument now, I've been playing that for the last 5 or so. I'll play just about anything, but my band is basically prog metal.

guitar - every type of music I fancy, been trying to get proficient with a slide lately
saxophone - jazz of course!
mandolin - Appalachian bluegrass

Guitar for around 33ish years here. Really started while in Jr. High. I play Rock, County, Folk and some Jazz. Most recently I've gotten into finger picking styles and jazz. I also play with a church band playing contemporary Christian music.

Gear:
'83 Electra Phonix X175JB (http://dbeedle.com/Guitar/)
'73 Yamaha acoustic (I forget the model)
Garrison Acoustic, pre-Gibson (which I use most of the time)
Peavy JF-1 Electric
Peavy Bass (Paladium...leant to a friend. I haven't seen it for a while!)
Digitech GNX3 Muti-effects
Peavy amps

I've also played a bit for a local indie artist. The most recent one was posted around. What guitar that's there is me! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw5pODW4LKc

Last edited:
Good thread.

Played trombone through high school...and got pretty good. About three months ago I sold my trombone, a higher end Bach Strad 42BO, because I just didn't play it seriously for 15 years and I wanted the quick cash it represented. I regretted it immediately and went out and bought a replacement trombone.

I didn't realize how much I valued that hidden ability of mine and didn't want to lose it.

Awesome...
My main instrument is the melodeon, the button box. See avatar for my favourite one of the four I have!

Also play mandolin, guitar, ukulele, Irish tenor banjo and a bit of fiddle.

I play tradition English dance music, which for those that don't know, is along the lines of Irish trad music but with a more solid, stompy beat.

I am the musician for a Cotswold morris team, leader of a ceilidh band and play generally in pub sessions around the area.

Good fun.

Gareth

heart + talent = ....Priceless
My main instrument is the melodeon, the button box. See avatar for my favourite one of the four I have!

Also play mandolin, guitar, ukulele, Irish tenor banjo and a bit of fiddle.

I play tradition English dance music, which for those that don't know, is along the lines of Irish trad music but with a more solid, stompy beat.

I am the musician for a Cotswold morris team, leader of a ceilidh band and play generally in pub sessions around the area.

Good fun.

Gareth

Good thread.

Played trombone through high school...and got pretty good. About three months ago I sold my trombone, a higher end Bach Strad 42BO, because I just didn't play it seriously for 15 years and I wanted the quick cash it represented. I regretted it immediately and went out and bought a replacement trombone.

I didn't realize how much I valued that hidden ability of mine and didn't want to lose it.

Awesome......really love Jazz.
Guitar for around 33ish years here. Really started while in Jr. High. I play Rock, County, Folk and some Jazz. Most recently I've gotten into finger picking styles and jazz. I also play with a church band playing contemporary Christian music.

Gear:
'83 Electra Phonix X175JB (http://dbeedle.com/Guitar/)
'73 Yamaha acoustic (I forget the model)
Garrison Acoustic, pre-Gibson (which I use most of the time)
Peavy JF-1 Electric
Peavy Bass (Paladium...leant to a friend. I haven't seen it for a while!)
Digitech GNX3 Muti-effects
Peavy amps

I've also played a bit for a local indie artist. The most recent one was posted around. What guitar that's there is me! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw5pODW4LKc

Wow....nothing like playing 70's rock!....buy some more gear and start playing!
Bass Guitar (Spector)
Acoustic Guitar (Seagull)

I did play electric guitar, but I sold all my gear many years ago.
I've regretted it as of recently.

SWMBO plays a bit of piano.

In elementary school I played the French Horn (I was roped into it)
In highschool it was the Trumpet. (I stunk at that)

Two of my friends played the guitar and drums respectively. They were both very good. I wanted to join the fun and the guitar player handed me a bass guitar and said "here, play this".
I had no clue what to do. He showed me the basics and off we went.
I taught myself from there.

We got pretty good. We played Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Van Halen, a bunch of rockin' tunes. Most of which I can't remember. Those were goooood times.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Talent is something that can not be hidden ,replaced or shut off...

As for my double bass journey I'll use a phrase I borrowed from another upright bass player....."more wood than talent" :blush:

Eventually I hope the talent and the physical presence of the instrument may be closer to equal

Tony

Top Bottom