What's new

Any Mushroom Hunters?

So I've just been invited on a shrooming vacation! A girl at work who loves much of the same things I do - spiders, snakes, other various critters - also loves mushrooms. My interest has been rekindled a lot for various reasons, so I'm really excited to go this spring. It'll be a true camping experience where we'll also forage for food and fish, also.

We're really hoping to find some wild, true morels! Anything of culinary value will be awesome, though, really. We're not really looking for the ones that make you meet aliens even though it'd still be cool.

There's also an endangered spider species I'd love to find and document, if possible. Itd be a real service to arachnology if I could find them extant in this particular geographic range. They would need to update the range maps, if so. I'd love to be the one able to make that happen.

Anyone else ever shroom? What kind are you favorites? Any tips? Tricks? How do you cook your favorites? It's been a while since I've been, and at the time, I was looking for... Much different mushrooms. Yea.

Morels cooked in butter with fresh brookies. One of my favorite spring activities. Enjoy your trip!

My manager is into mushroom hunting and has tweaked my interest in it. Hopefully I will join the ranks soon.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The name "Death Caps" puts me off some, but. I have the ID book.

The book wouldn't lie. Mushrooms are delicious!

AA

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
IMG_7381.JPG
Mmm, morels. I found these one nice spring day a while back. I have been back to the same exact place without success. As far as cooking goes, the more simple the better. Butter, and maybe a bit of garlic.

Just remember, there’s brave mushroom eaters and old mushroom eaters..But, no brave old mushroom eaters.

Have fun, take spore prints and pictures..

I’ve heard the deadly ones are the most delicious.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Wow. Reading an old, classic prepper book: How to Stay Alive in the Woods, by Brad Angier.

First whole chapter is about food … eating bugs, guts, cannibalism, stomach contents etc.

Says to stay away from mushrooms … pretty much too risky.

Now. That might just be in the context of this book: for rookies. But still.

AA

Wow. Reading an old, classic prepper book: How to Stay Alive in the Woods, by Brad Angier.

First whole chapter is about food … eating bugs, guts, cannibalism, stomach contents etc.

Says to stay away from mushrooms … pretty much too risky.

Now. That might just be in the context of this book: for rookies. But still.

AA
The rule of thumb I was taught by an experienced mushroom hunter is when in doubt, throw it out. There are some very obvious mushroom types that make it easy to identify.

That’s one of the more common places where psilocybin mushrooms or “magic mushrooms” are found.

Heh. I remember when some strangers stopped at a neighbor's and asked if they could look through pastures for mushrooms. They didn't know he was a retired LEO.

It looks like a trip with the young lady is off. I met her husband, who just introduced himself. Later I get a message from her that he said, "I don't mean any harm, but there's no way in hell you're going with her. And if she decides to go, anyway, you can keep her"

Wasn't expecting that, but I plan on going by myself, anyway!

Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

It looks like a trip with the young lady is off. I met her husband, who just introduced himself. Later I get a message from her that he said, "I don't mean any harm, but there's no way in hell you're going with her. And if she decides to go, anyway, you can keep her"

Wasn't expecting that, but I plan on going by myself, anyway!

Thanks for all the advice, everyone.
Sorry to hear it took such a turn. Glad you know sooner than later.

Top Bottom