What's new

any more tips please

hi my name is chris and i have a few questions , i just purchache a merkur futur and i am still getting used to it so far so good , but i find im not getting a really close shave , my first pass is with the grain then i try to go against the grain but my trouble spots like under my check bones are still ruff any tips on what i should do also my neck is hard to shave as weel espically near the adams apple any tips for that i still get ingrowns hair not as bad as before but still there , and just one last question , if a part of my face is shaved well with one pass showed i still go against the grain usually i just re lather and do my whole face , is that ok or just do the spots that i still feel have stubble , thanks in advance chris

Hi Chris. Welcome.

Some more info about your routine would be most helpful. After all, good prep is critical for superior results. A few comments in the meantime: you will need several passes with a DE to get a smooth shave. Remember that cartridges have several blades, you are now dealing with one. Most of us do multiple passes at different angles, always rinsing and re-lathering between each pass. If you are starting out, it is a good idea to stick with a couple of N-S passes while your face adapts. You can then add across the grain passes, and eventually against the grain. Every person's face is different, so you'll have to adapt your technique over time.

Good luck, and ask questions.

As a fellow rookie who also started out with a futur I would offer the following advice. Rather than trying to get a BBS shave with just the two passes I would lower the setting on the futur to no more than three and do at least 2 N-S passes, then I would attempt E-W pass before finally going against the grain. Personally, my skin is unable to stand up to regular against the grain passes, but what I have found is that it is much easier on the skin if you have reduced your stubble as much as possible before going against the grain. In order to get a closer shave you should also consider puffing your cheeks out so the skin is as tight as possible, guenron told me about this technique recently, and it has certainly helped with the quality of my shave.
Finally there is a how to guide for a 4 pass technique floating around the forum, there is a link on one of my threads (the across the grain thread I think) which should prove helpful.
Whatever you choose to do, I would say that it is easier to reduce your beard gradually with multiple passes, rather than going straight for the finish line with one pass and then an against the grain touchup.
Also, you didn't mention your pre shave prep, but the more time you spend on this the better your shave will go, trust me I learned the hard way.
At the end of the day you will find what works best for you, as everyone here says, YMMV.
Regards,
AJS

AJS said:
As a fellow rookie who also started out with a futur I would offer the following advice. Rather than trying to get a BBS shave with just the two passes I would lower the setting on the futur to no more than three and do at least 2 N-S passes, then I would attempt E-W pass before finally going against the grain. Personally, my skin is unable to stand up to regular against the grain passes, but what I have found is that it is much easier on the skin if you have reduced your stubble as much as possible before going against the grain. In order to get a closer shave you should also consider puffing your cheeks out so the skin is as tight as possible, guenron told me about this technique recently, and it has certainly helped with the quality of my shave.
Finally there is a how to guide for a 4 pass technique floating around the forum, there is a link on one of my threads (the across the grain thread I think) which should prove helpful.
Whatever you choose to do, I would say that it is easier to reduce your beard gradually with multiple passes, rather than going straight for the finish line with one pass and then an against the grain touchup.
Also, you didn't mention your pre shave prep, but the more time you spend on this the better your shave will go, trust me I learned the hard way.
At the end of the day you will find what works best for you, as everyone here says, YMMV.
Regards,
AJS
Spoken like a true veteran. This is all good advice and with patient application will provide the eventual BBS results. I supplied the link above.

thnaks u for ur replies

well i wash my face , soak my brush , i have shaving cream that is in the tube not sure wich one lol sry , then i lather my face let it sit for 2 -3 minutes then proceed my beard is not that thick i usually have the setting on 1 showed i up the setting to 2 or 3 what do u think ????

A lot of people suggest keeping the futur on a 1.5 - 2 setting even after they have mastered the razor, so you can obviously get good results that way. Me being me, I started out on a sensible setting (which was a surprise) managed to shave half my face before I couldn't resist the urge to bump it up and then finished off on a setting of six (which was stupid) Honestly speaking I have found that more strokes on a lower setting is the best way to go ( keep in mind that I am very much a novice, though.) I keep my futur set between 3-4 and have good results this way.
One thing about prep, if you don't have a lot of time, you might consider using hair conditioner on your beard. My non-existant prep was the main cause of my initially bad results and when I don't have time to prepare properly this helps a great deal.
Regards,
AJS

Top Bottom