What's new

Any metal detectorists here?

Some pics from a couple short detecting trips the last two days.

Friday afternoon I got to visit a couple parks. While I did find some stuff the trip was shortened considerably due to some pop up storms. I did a little detecting between the rain drops until I didn't want to get anymore soaked haha. I used two detectors. First a teknetics omega 8500 and then a fisher f75+. Both with rain covers but I'll admit I was a little nervous in the rain even with the covers on hahaha.

This afternoon I detected some at my grandmas house after cutting the grass. I used the f75+ with nel sharoshooter coil. Today I didn't find much in the way of coins but found some super neat stuff. Tons of toy parts and some other random neat stuff. What looks to be an old medal of somekind, a lederte medicine bottle, and some other odds and ends.

Now for possibly the neatest thing I’ve ever found. A small sterling silver childs ring. Why is that neat? The initials on it are my mothers! This is a ring she had lost as a child. It made her day when I called to tell her I had found it haha.

Detectors used: Fisher f75+ with nel sharpshooter coil
Teknetics omega 8500 with mars 13in coil.
Pinpointer: teknetics tek-point

20220603_140311.jpg
20220604_082205.jpg
20220603_144407.jpg
20220604_130254.jpg
20220604_222348.jpg
20220604_222551.jpg
20220604_222429.jpg

Very cool pics, gents. I have never done any detectoring, but there is a british so called Detectorist that I really love and learned about this hobby from the show. Cool to see people doing it in real life.

My wife bought me an expensive Drone for an early Christmas present. I promptly flew it into a tree and broke it. I should have asked for a metal detector.
Sorry about the drone! Detecting is a blast! Definitely grab one if you get the chance. Stay away from the cheapy Chinese made detectors. A pinpointer also helps a ton when recovering the target from the hole. Be prepared to dig a ton of scrap and trash haha. The good stuff is worth the trouble though.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Sorry about the drone! Detecting is a blast! Definitely grab one if you get the chance. Stay away from the cheapy Chinese made detectors. A pinpointer also helps a ton when recovering the target from the hole. Be prepared to dig a ton of scrap and trash haha. The good stuff is worth the trouble though.

A detector is high on my list. I remember my grandparents having one in the late 80s and I was fascinated. We used to go down the the marinas around Dallas when the lake levels dropped and they’d find all kinds of watches and jewelry that people had lost while swimming and boating.

A detector is high on my list. I remember my grandparents having one in the late 80s and I was fascinated. We used to go down the the marinas around Dallas when the lake levels dropped and they’d find all kinds of watches and jewelry that people had lost while swimming and boating.
Thats awesome! I remember my grandfather having one but I was never aloud to touch it. Ironically I ended up picking up the exact same detector he had and still has haha. There are quite a few nowadays that are completely waterproof and submersible. You can get out in the water and find the goodies without having to wait for water levels to drop now 😁. I kust got permission to detect an old mill house yard yesterday. It should be holding some goodies. The mill was built around 1900 and this house is maybe a block away. The yard is small but I'm excited to see what it is hiding!

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Thats awesome! I remember my grandfather having one but I was never aloud to touch it. Ironically I ended up picking up the exact same detector he had and still has haha. There are quite a few nowadays that are completely waterproof and submersible. You can get out in the water and find the goodies without having to wait for water levels to drop now 😁. I kust got permission to detect an old mill house yard yesterday. It should be holding some goodies. The mill was built around 1900 and this house is maybe a block away. The yard is small but I'm excited to see what it is hiding!
Do you just go knock on doors and ask permission or do you know the people that own the sites? My MIL lives in a house that the original log cabin it’s built around has been in place since the early 1800s and my wife’s uncle recently bought 400 acres of land that was once a plantation. The current house’s original parts were built in the 1840’s on top of the foundation of another house built in the mid 1700s. The problem is I’m in Indiana and they’re in Maine and Maryland, so not just an easy drive to detect the properties.

Do you just go knock on doors and ask permission or do you know the people that own the sites? My MIL lives in a house that the original log cabin it’s built around has been in place since the early 1800s and my wife’s uncle recently bought 400 acres of land that was once a plantation. The current house’s original parts were built in the 1840’s on top of the foundation of another house built in the mid 1700s. The problem is I’m in Indiana and they’re in Maine and Maryland, so not just an easy drive to detect the properties.
Wow those sound like amazing places to detect. So far I have known the people I've asked. I do know a few local detectorist that has had good luck knocking on doors. Me being a bit shy and anti social I haven't worked up the courage too try it yet haha.

There are also many places to go that doesn't require permission. Many towns will allow detecting in their parks. Make sure you check their rules and policies first though. I have enough parks around to keep me busy for the rest of my life hahaha. They don't normally hold old stuff. Mostly modern change and maybe some jewelry if you're lucky. Finding the old stuff is a blast if you have access to those kind of properties. Some guys also detect the curb strips with great success. Getting the permissions is probably more than half the challenge in detecting haha.

This new mill site for me is a house we will be working in soon. My father and I do electrical work. The house is going to have alot of work done and the owner is a long time customer. Figured it was worth a shot asking haha.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Great thread guys!
Been thinking about getting a detector and looking around at what’s available. The difficulty is wanting to overspend to not get junk but trying to be realistic about how many times I will actually use it.
We’ve had (kid) level detectors in the past but they’ve ended up in the trash.
Any advice is appreciated especially in current brands you recommend or what to stay away from. Thanks!

Great thread guys!
Been thinking about getting a detector and looking around at what’s available. The difficulty is wanting to overspend to not get junk but trying to be realistic about how many times I will actually use it.
We’ve had (kid) level detectors in the past but they’ve ended up in the trash.
Any advice is appreciated especially in current brands you recommend or what to stay away from. Thanks!
Any of the major makers are pretty even on quality. Garretts are still pretty good but I have little to no experience with them. Fisher, teknetics, bounty hunter stuff is excellent. Great warranty as well. But they have kinda delayed in bringing out some stuff to compete on the level of some other makers. Minelabs perform great as well as xp but they are quite proud of their machines. The minelab vanquish 440 might be one to check out. Nokta makro is one of my favorites. Their stuff performs well and they are usually quite a bargain. I started on their simplex detector. Still have it too as a loaner/backup. Also have their now discontinued kruzer machine and their flagship "legend" detector. Really like them all. Spending a ton isn't really necessary. Just depends on how far you want to take it. You can find stuff with the bounty hunter tracker 4 and have a blast. Those are usually around $70-80. Also consider looking into a pinpointer and some digging equipment to help recovering the target quickly and cleanly. Nothing is more frustrating than getting a good signal and wasting a ton of time trying to get it out of the ground haha. Have fun!

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Any of the major makers are pretty even on quality. Garretts are still pretty good but I have little to no experience with them. Fisher, teknetics, bounty hunter stuff is excellent. Great warranty as well. But they have kinda delayed in bringing out some stuff to compete on the level of some other makers. Minelabs perform great as well as xp but they are quite proud of their machines. The minelab vanquish 440 might be one to check out. Nokta makro is one of my favorites. Their stuff performs well and they are usually quite a bargain. I started on their simplex detector. Still have it too as a loaner/backup. Also have their now discontinued kruzer machine and their flagship "legend" detector. Really like them all. Spending a ton isn't really necessary. Just depends on how far you want to take it. You can find stuff with the bounty hunter tracker 4 and have a blast. Those are usually around $70-80. Also consider looking into a pinpointer and some digging equipment to help recovering the target quickly and cleanly. Nothing is more frustrating than getting a good signal and wasting a ton of time trying to get it out of the ground haha. Have fun!
What would you expect to get by spending more money? Do the more expensive detectors detect at deeper depths, or have the ability to better distinguish between different types of metal? I'm starting to look at detectors pretty seriously. I've been looking at the Fisher F22 but it states to has a detecting depth of 9inches. Is this pretty standard or does that sound shallow? Some of the Garrett models also look pretty good. My budget is probably $300 or a little more. I don't need a professional unit but would like something that's weather proof and will last for a while.

What would you expect to get by spending more money? Do the more expensive detectors detect at deeper depths, or have the ability to better distinguish between different types of metal? I'm starting to look at detectors pretty seriously. I've been looking at the Fisher F22 but it states to has a detecting depth of 9inches. Is this pretty standard or does that sound shallow? Some of the Garrett models also look pretty good. My budget is probably $300 or a little more. I don't need a professional unit but would like something that's weather proof and will last for a while.
Most of the time the extra money is from extra features. More adjustability, extra setting, sometimes there is a little upgrade in technology. Like the new multi frequency detectors. Everything has a positive and negative haha. I don't have a f22 but I do have a f44. Its a great machine! I really like them. Pretty light and easy to use. 9in depth is fairly average. But don't get too caught up on the manufacturers depth ratings. The quality of soil effects the depth quite a bit. If you have bad soil it may be less than that rating. If you have mild soil it may be more. Take a peek at the nokta makro simplex. I think it might be the king of the budget and starter detectors. Very simple and easy to use, built robust, good company that is easy to deal with if there is an issue, and it is water proof to 10ft. So you can submerg it completely to detect your local lakes and rivers.

Fisher also has great service and one of the best warranties on detectors. Five years I think it is.

Top Bottom