What's new

Any Mergress/Progress Experience out There?

I'm looking to get rid of my new Vision 2000 on B/S/T pretty soon and will probably be picking up a Mergress with the long handle. The head on the Vision is just too large for my liking and I understand the Futur's head is about the same. The Progress/Mergress head looks a good bit smaller so I will probably go that way.

In regards to comparison - how does the Mergress stack up against some of the others items in my stable - is it worth getting - or is it redundant?

Currently - among others - my favorites are:

Weber DLC/Classic
Tradere OC
Muhle R41 Grande
Gillette Model 102 1910 OC (old style)
Gillette Slim Adjustable

Seeing that the Mergress is adjustable - is it going to be able to be as aggressive as my Vision 2000 when it is wide open - or will be be more like a Gillette adjustable on a lower setting?

I know Lee's Razors sells the long handle Mergress but is there anyone who does more of a knurled "grippier" handle for those or no?

Thanks!

Do a search for either of those words and you'll be reading all night, all of your questions asked and answered.

I've recently purchased a long handled progress and although I'm less than excited about the delicate positioning needed not to come away with a raw faced shave, I have had no issues with grip!
i would be interested in upgrading my progress to a mergress simply for the calibration upgrade!

Thanks for the update mhdena...I would have never thought to have used the search function...good grief.

The Mergress with the short knob is a beautifully proportioned razor, very well balanced. Easy to use, 2.5 is about a 7 on my fatboy. Smooth, close and comfortable shave every time.

Hold on to your Vision. I find my Vision out performs every other razor I own (and I have a few to compare it against)

I do like my Progress "herd"

Left to right

Stock long handle model 51 Progress - BRW Bull Progress - Mergress XL

proxy.php

Turtle...you are probably right. I am pretty sure that neither a mergress or futur will do anything that the vision won't do just as well or better.

Turtle...you are probably right. I am pretty sure that neither a mergress or futur will do anything that the vision won't do just as well or better.

I used a standard Progress for about a year and really enjoyed it. Then had it sent to Eric and had it converted to the Mergress with the long knob. With the increased length in the handle, what I feel is even better balance than the old Progress configuration and the increased heft, I go back and forth between it and the R41 as my two "go to" razors. I have the standard array of Gillettes but they now get rarely used and I'll probably sell them on BST. If you dial up the Mergress to "5", it can be pretty darn aggressive. Great razor.

Mergress is a Fine Shaver, Its Like an Edwin Jagger but a little more aggressive on Setting 1, So just imagine how much more aggressive you can make it when you jump to higher settings.

Its a Smooth Efficient Shaver on Setting 1-2 for me, No Nicks or cuts unless i Rush and get Careless, as this can happen with any razor, I used it last week after not touching it for a while and Loved it. its back in My Rotation once again :eek:) I have the Mergress XL With Long adjustment Knob Its Awesome Feels Solid and Great Heft.

Get the Mergress before you sell your Vision then Decide which one you want, then post up the one you want to give up or keep both if you feel they both have different characteristics :eek:)

I wish I had started with my Mergress, but it doesn't get much attention at the moment. I just got my first straight razor, and am determined not to fall back on the DE for touch ups. I also have a Muhle R41 and a '58 Gillette Exec. Fatboy. Of the three the Mergress is the Goldilocks razor for me... just right. I also have a Merkur 20c but that's on loan.

I am about a month into my new progress short handle. Loving this thing. You can take it from mild to very aggressive. I had a Futur, which I liked, but felt the blade wasn't getting bent enough to stiffen the blade to my liking and I suffered irritation most of the time.

The progress gives me the blade bend I like and results in a smoother shave for me. It really reminds me of my HD, but with gap adjustability.

Feels great in the hand and it is built well, although not the work of art the Futur is.

I just got this beauty this morning

Can't wait to throw it on my LH Progress and have a shave with it.

Where did you get that one? I was thinking of selling my 51 but with a new/cool knob I just might keep it around a bit longer

I'm been using a borrowed Mergress the last couple of days. I like the way it shaves (I've been using it set on #3), but I have issues with the grip--a bit too slippery for my tastes. I have to rinse the handle fairly frequently under the faucet to maintain a grip.

I'm been using a borrowed Mergress the last couple of days. I like the way it shaves (I've been using it set on #3), but I have issues with the grip--a bit too slippery for my tastes. I have to rinse the handle fairly frequently under the faucet to maintain a grip.

That's something I just can't understand. I've had no problem with mine.

Top Bottom