What's new

Any love for the new TOBS Tobacco Leaf Shaving Cream?

If after a tobacco-centric scent, this isn't it.
OTOH, it's a nicely balanced, mild fragrance, with citrus, floral, vanilla, and hints of cedar and tobacco.
Performance is as good, if not better than, their (flagship) Sandalwood.

OTOH, it's a nicely balanced, mild fragrance, with citrus, floral, vanilla, and hints of cedar and tobacco.
Thanks... another "Tobacco Vanille", no I am not after it then... oh well. I did order St James cream though, just today.

I would second the above comments from ask4edge!
Slight tobacco scent but excellent performance!

taylor of old bond st tobacco feather alt innsbruck july 15 2020.jpg

I would second the above comments from ask4edge!
Slight tobacco scent but excellent performance!

View attachment 1152596
Every TOBS cream is "great performance" I guess. Scent is what drive all my shaving purchase decisions. I'm just not in the market for another vanilla scented soap, was hoping (based on the description) that this one is not that kind of sweet pipe tobacco...

Every TOBS cream is "great performance" I guess. Scent is what drive all my shaving purchase decisions. I'm just not in the market for another vanilla scented soap, was hoping (based on the description) that this one is not that kind of sweet pipe tobacco...

TOBS tobacco is not at all cavendish-ish pipe tobacco.
if you're a scent maven, you'd be interested in TOBS other recent new creams...

taylor old bond st shipment july 2020.jpg

If its anything like their sandalwood, then I would guess tobacco has very little to do with what it smells like. I'm not knocking their sandalwood, its just that there's two legitimate approaches to making a scent named after a particular thing. There's the the approach of making it smell like that and only that, think AoS Sandalwood or Fines Santal Absolut and then there's making it part, more or less, of a blend, think TOBS Sandalwood.

proxy.php

Mine just got here from West Coast Shaving. I don’t get the tobacco but it’s an amazing scent. Probably my favorite TOBS scent so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love it. Used it again this afternoon and this is my third time in a row in the last week using it. Truly love the scent and performance I get out of it
4DE7E2DB-D606-460D-A52B-F5824A04C397.jpeg

Yeah i've found with their sandalwood I wanted the actual wood smell and instead got a kinda sorta smell, it's not bad, but not great. I really would rather have a more tobacco scent though, I wonder if it smells more like the Leather and Leaf soap from Duke Cannon? Boy is that a great bar soap, loved that smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have it; it doesn't really smell like tobacco, but more like a bit of citrus and a more complex blend of other things, probably some cedar and so forth. It's very nice, though.

Out of curiosity, do you have any recommendations for a more tobacco-focussed shave cream?

SMN v3 is scented with their Tabacco Toscano (largely cured tobacco); but the cream also has
eucalyptus, camphor and menthol. (Excellent performer!)

Farzad's Tobacco Shave Cream (by Crown Shaving Co.) supposedly is "rich" tobacco, but haven't tried it.

St. James Tonka & Tobacco Flower is very nice, but is tobacco flower (vs cured leaf).

So having used it a few times now, I do quite like it. I'm always on the search for good tobacco scents, so if you know of any, let me know or PM me. A number of those that are called "tobacco" seem to be actually vanilla, or Bay Rum, or tobacco flower as noted above, or something else that doesn't smell like what I'm looking for - which is what you'd get sticking your nose into a jar of pipe tobacco (burley or cavendish, not English blends!) or into a box of cigars (maduros, preferably).

I haven't tried a lot of tobacco scents, but I did get Santa Maria del Fiore Santa Maria del Fiore Sapone da Barba – ItalianBarber - https://www.italianbarber.com/products/santa-maria-del-fiore-sapone-da-barba it has the most outstanding scent I have tried of any soap, cream, aftershave or cologne. Darn, I need to order more
The description of that soap sounds a lot like the Santa Maria Novella (tobacco toscano) soap ask4edge mentioned above. You wouldn't know how they compare? Like the SMN one, it lists Eucalyptus and Menthol scents. How prominent are they would say? I'm not the biggest fan of the scent of menthol and the like.
I've wanted to buy the SMN one but it isn't sold in my country and costs the same as the product to ship!

Mine arrived a couple days ago and I only get a very faint hint of coffee and leather which creates kind of an almost sweet smoky/floral scent? I don't pick up on any citrus at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom