What's new

Any love for the new TOBS Tobacco Leaf Shaving Cream?

Smell a pouch of bacy that is 100% how real stuff smells even before you add stuff to it... its got that deep leafy smell to it...btw i havnt smoked for 2 years and a bit now after heavy smoking for 10 years :3...but i remember the smells ...used to be a guy way back who sold chop chop and his whole house was filled with leaves the smell was so pungent ..but it wasnt a bad smell kinda sweet but leafy

RazoRock Puros is very tobacco leaf forward. It's my favorite RR croap.
Ok good to know this is what tobacco leaf smells like then. I just got my first tub of RR Puros and right off the top it smells like A&D ointment on a band aid or the inside of a leather jacket. Actually, ya, it's more like the leather jacket smell. It's not the sweeter smell of The Artisan Soap Shoppe's Humidor. But I know how a scent can change once you lather them up so will see tomorrow. will be interesting.

262C6BBB-7E55-411B-87E1-3FA1C531AB39.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok good to know this is what tobacco leaf smells like then. I just got my first tub of RR Puros and right off the top it smells like A&D ointment on a band aid or the inside of a leather jacket. Actually, ya, it's more like the leather jacket smell. It's not the sweeter smell of The Artisan Soap Shoppe's Humidor. But I know how a scent can change once you lather them up so will see tomorrow. will be interesting.

View attachment 1174946

Tobacco can mean many different things as a scent. It could mean tobacco flower, pipe tobacco, or just plain cured tobacco. RR puros is the latter. It's meant evoke the smell of a barn full of dried tobacco leaf waiting for auction. Definitely notes of leather.

I really enjoy it, and it performs respectably for me, but like everything else, YMMV. :)

Tobacco can mean many different things as a scent. It could mean tobacco flower, pipe tobacco, or just plain cured tobacco. RR puros is the latter. It's meant evoke the smell of a barn full of dried tobacco leaf waiting for auction. Definitely notes of leather.

I really enjoy it, and it performs respectably for me, but like everything else, YMMV. :)
Well I tried it for the first time this morning and I really like it. It’s a mild scent and the soap feels great on my face loved the performance! It lists Tallow Acid in the ingredients is that the same as being tallow-based?

444D9B87-0545-4CF1-A660-016CE467E0E0.jpeg

Last edited:
It lists Tallow Acid in the ingredients is that the same as being tallow-based?
Tallow acid is a component of tallow; tallow = tallow acid + glycerol.

(Similarly, coconut acid is a component of coconut oil; coconut oil = coconut acid + glycerol.)

Tallow acid is a component of tallow; tallow = tallow acid + glycerol.

(Similarly, coconut acid is a component of coconut oil; coconut oil = coconut acid + glycerol.)
Thanks @ask4Edge! The Stirling soap that I got just lists beef tallow so that must be the acid + the glycerol? Do you know why Razorock uses just the tallow acid? Could be cost or maybe it's just the desired performance based on the combination of other ingredients?

The scent of the TOBS tobacco leaf is slowly growing on me and it does faintly smell of cigars or a speak easy with leather and smoke.

The Stirling soap that I got just lists beef tallow so that must be the acid + the glycerol?
Beef tallow was a raw ingredient, but the resultant product no longer has it.
Upon the addition of lye, beef tallow was cleaved into two compounds, each of which subsequently transformed into new compounds; beef tallow + lye --> sodium tallowate + glycerin.

So, the actual compound that's in your Striling is sodium tallowate (vs beef tallow);
likewise, sodium tallowate is in the RR Puros.

Do you know why Razorock uses just the tallow acid?
Slightly different path leading to the same destination: sodium tallowate.

...maybe it's just the desired performance based on the combination of other ingredients?
Glycerin is a byproduct of tallow, whereas this is not the case for tallow acid. However, this can be mitigated by the addition of external glycerin and/or getting it from cleaving another fat, like coconut oil.

Could be cost...?
Not exactly sure about the commercial costs of these raw materials, but AFAIK, larger companies tend not to use beef tallow, but tallow acid instead.

Beef tallow was a raw ingredient, but the resultant product no longer has it.
Upon the addition of lye, beef tallow was cleaved into two compounds, each of which subsequently transformed into new compounds; beef tallow + lye --> sodium tallowate + glycerin.

So, the actual compound that's in your Striling is sodium tallowate (vs beef tallow);
likewise, sodium tallowate is in the RR Puros.

Slightly different path leading to the same destination: sodium tallowate.

Glycerin is a byproduct of tallow, whereas this is not the case for tallow acid. However, this can be mitigated by the addition of external glycerin and/or getting it from cleaving another fat, like coconut oil.

Not exactly sure about the commercial costs of these raw materials, but AFAIK, larger companies tend not to use beef tallow, but tallow acid instead.
Superb break down thank you sir! Tried the Puros today and thought that was pretty slick.

I just received a tub of the tobacco leaf for Christmas and here’s my take:
the performance is consistent with other Taylor’s scents. The scent has kind of taken a hit here, and here’s my take on why: it doesn’t smell like a perfume version of “tobacco.” I’ve smoked a pipe for decades, am a tobacco, pipe, and cigar aficionado. “Tobacco” isn’t one, definitive “correct” scent. Cavendish isn’t a type of tobacco; it’s a particular cut of the leaf, and is generally a blend, so it doesn’t have a definitive scent. Virginia does. It smells like freshly-mown hay, or can even smell slightly nutty. Latakia does. It smells pungent and earthy — a little like dung (because it’s traditionally cured over dung smoke.) Perique does. It is sharp and sweet. The tobacco scent of this cream (to my nose) is authentic tobacco. It’s precisely the scent of a Kentucky Burley: earthy, nutty, slight vanilla, and a little leathery.

Bear in mind that many guys associate “tobacco scent” with tobacco when it’s burning — which is normally a much different scent than when smelling it in the pouch or jar. This scent in the tub is evocative of Kentucky Burley in the jar — before burning, with just a touch of sweetness and soapiness. But when put on the face, it settles out of the soapiness and becomes “burley.”

Personally, I adore this scent, because it reminds me of all those years spent at the tobacconist’s helping blend and sell tobacco, and sampling all the blends, mixtures, and straight leaf tobaccos.

Top Bottom