What's new

Any love for Dogwood handcrafted brushes/handles?

From a purely esthetic point of view, they look (on the net), beautiful.
I searched the site and dont see anyone (or hardly anyone) even mention the company.

Wondering costs, etc of his hybrid acrylic/burl handle and if his stuff is reputable.

wondering about something like these in particular
Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG

I've wanted one of Stephen Joiner's (Dogwood) brushes for quite some time, but then he took his offerings offline and only does drops now. Most handles (no knot) on his last drop were $100, and although they were spectacular, I have a hard time shelling out that much when I know what I could have had and how much the prices have gone up since then. This being said, those died wood/resin hybrids are a lot of work from what I understand, and I have reason to believe the undied variety would list for $15-20 less.

I'm pretty sure Elite Razor does "shokwood" handles with wood and resin combined. And you know it is hard to beat Bob's Manchurian White knots.

I'm not sure if I can link to Elite Razor's website on here, but I just checked and he has a few "shokwood" handles available if you select brushes, and then specialty brushes.

I have a purple haze and a disco turned by him. Great work i think. Plus you can see him turn handles on youtube. Stepehen is pretty hardcore ya know. He had a video where he had a new declaration knot soaking, pulled it out of the cup, then drank the murky water! He eats, sleeps, DRINKS shaving.

I have a Dogwood brush and it’s beautiful. His new stuff is spectacular. Stained wood in crazy colours with galaxy resins. Just beautiful. And his Jurassic brushes are amazing. Unfortunately his prices have risen and in a recent drop I was at the checkout and it was too rich for my blood with shipping to Canada. Bordered on badger brush prices for just a handle. Superb craftsmanship though.

View attachment 891092
Beautiful

Wow. And i thought my wolf whiskers handle was expensive.

Last edited:
I have a purple haze and a disco turned by him. Great work i think. Plus you can see him turn handles on youtube. Stepehen is pretty hardcore ya know. He had a video where he had a new declaration knot soaking, pulled it out of the cup, then drank the murky water! He eats, sleeps, DRINKS shaving.
i think i'm going to puke. that was nasty

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
First I've seen them. They look very nice. They also look like they'd be very comfortable in the hand. I'm not in love with the high gloss finish, but they look very high quality.

i think i'm going to puke. that was nasty
I stumbled on that video today. He was reviewing the Declaration B5 knot that was set into one of his handles. The glass was pretty full and he chugged it all.

I just read that he has another brush drop happening this Saturday, if anyone is interested in picking one up.

I have a dogwood custom synthetic for traveling, and it came in a well-designed travel container when delivered. It’s black with iridescent rose gold swirl and is absolutely beautiful. His quality is top notch and I’d highly recommend giving the drops a go.

The Aurora handle is one I am wanting it looks gorgeous but as others have said $100 is a lot plus I would have to buy a knot and set it myself because I have got brushes lately that the knot was set to deep. I think a apshaveco silksmoke would look good in it.
Happy shaves.
SMURF

I know this is an old thread, but I just want to say how much I love the Dogwood Handcrafts handle I have. I put a shavemac two-band (fan) in it around February and it's just been amazing. I also bought a handle for my son. The shape and size are perfect and feel great in the hand. Stephen communicated perfectly through the process. I bought mine when he was doing drops. Now it appears that he is using a waitlist system. I know the price might be an issue; still more people interested in his art and work should consider it.

They’re rarely mentioned because they’re incredibly difficult to obtain.

Gorgeous brushes. I just paid for my custom last night. I got into the waitlist quickly when he opened it up earlier this month.

Top Bottom