What's new

Any Kilt-wearers on the site?

Howdy all,

i have been wearing a kilt since i was like 12, i have a millitary weight full 9 yard kilt in my tartan (boyd, so Roxburgh red) a medium weight ontario tartan kilt, and a lightweight (everyday) kilt in Blackwatch and one in royal steward,
i have a fur sporran, a nice black everyday one, and a rustic brown one, i can match it with practically any shirt or sweater or coat, depending on weather and how i feel, with dress shoes, work boots, brogues or pull on riding boots,

any other wearers in here?

hates it? why ?????

my girlfriend loves my kilts, think's theyre sexy.

i think alot of girls think kilts are very nice looking on a guy..

weird stuf:confused:

No, but I'm kind of interested in possibly doing so sometime in the future seeing as I'm of Scottish descent on a couple different sides of my family. You know of any good places for kilts?

Yes. Two Utilikilts and two tartans from Burnetts & Struth - a Chisholm Modern Hunting (for hunting) and a MacGregor Modern (mother's side is listed as a sept of MacGregor). I generally wear a kilt on the weekends and afternoons, though I have on occasion worn it to work. Actually the only time I've ever been asked "the question" was at work, which I thought was in poor taste. Fortunately the only "kilt check" I've ever received has been by the wife, who quite likes me in a kilt.

Last edited:
I have on several occasions worn a kilt. For a wedding in Scotland and for a ceilidh. Surprised at how comfortable they are and "liberating" :blush: I have not purchased a kilt but after the second time was tempted.....but then I don't have a Scottish brogue. :001_smile

No, but I'm kind of interested in possibly doing so sometime in the future seeing as I'm of Scottish descent on a couple different sides of my family. You know of any good places for kilts?

Burnetts & Struth is having a sale on their casual kilts. Lots of tartans, and ~US$150 for a custom-made (albeit machine-sewn) kilt. Their website is down for maintenance at the moment, but should be back up in a few days.

do a search on the site for "utilikilt", there's been some interesting discussions :lol::lol::lol: (some that led to custom titles :biggrin:)

no, but I'd definitely sport a utilikilt every now and then if I could afford one

Here is a shot of the last Mod get together-

proxy.php

And a rare shot of Ouch...

proxy.php

Wore it once at a wedding in Edinburgh and loved it, but you got to be careful how you sit down and what you sit on.............

I hear there's a kilt-maker in Dallas somewhere. As I've recently (past couple of years) become very interested in my Scottish ancestry (I'm basically 1/2 Scottish, 1/3 Irish, 1/3 German), I'd like to look into wearing one myself.

Would an actual kilt-maker be able to assist me in "finding" my tartan? My people are the Littles from the lowlands, and at first I didn't think that they had a tartan, but that I could get away with wearing a county tartan. Recently, I saw that the Littles actually "count" as a clan, and that they have a tartan.

I don't know if it's definitive (after all, it's on the internet), but there is a Clan Little website that sold the tartan fabric by the yard, and also sold smaller things made from it. I was thinking about starting off with a scarf or hat, and then easing my wife into the idea of me having a full-fledged kilt. :tongue:

Would an actual kilt-maker be able to assist me in "finding" my tartan?

If it exists, you can find it on the internets:Scottish Tartan Authority Search Engine

A search for the surname of "Little" turns up four entries, including "Little of Morton Rigg" which is designated as a Clan/Family tartan and appears to be of fairly recent design. The Clan Little Society tartan looks like the Morton Rigg tartan.

There's another tartan search engine at http://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/search.aspx that shows somewhat fewer Little tartans but does show the Little of Morton Rigg tartan.

There's also a clan finder at USAKilts.com that has an entry for Little, with a photo of something that they claim to be a Little tartan but appears to be an Angus District Tartan. As the Clan Little doesn't have a chief there's no one with authority to establish any official tartan though.

OTOH it's not like the "official" clan tartans have any real meaning anyway, since the association with clans and tartans happened by accident when King George IV visited scotland and asked for the clan chiefs to show up attired in their traditional clan tartan, which led to a spate of letters to the tartan mills from clan chiefs asking the mills what their clan tartan was. The mills either made something up, or sent them the last tartan that had been ordered by someone of that name.

Last edited:
If it exists, you can find it on the internets:Scottish Tartan Authority Search Engine

A search for the surname of "Little" turns up four entries, including "Little of Morton Rigg" which is designated as a Clan/Family tartan and appears to be of fairly recent design. The Clan Little Society tartan looks like the Morton Rigg tartan.

There's another tartan search engine at http://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/search.aspx that shows somewhat fewer Little tartans but does show the Little of Morton Rigg tartan.

There's also a clan finder at USAKilts.com that has an entry for Little, with a photo of something that they claim to be a Little tartan, though it doesn't match the one at Scottish Tartan Authority, Tartan Register, or the Clan Little Society. As the Clan Little doesn't have a chief there's no one with authority to establish any official anything though...

Wow - that's some helpful information, there!

I just came across the phrase "This is not a clan but a Family Assocation Tartan" Ah, well. This doesn't surprise me because a). I understand that clans are usually from the Highlands and, b). My family is from Dumfrieshire.

I guess as long as it's recorgnized the way it seems to be (when I see a ".gov" at the end of a website, it makes me believe it may be legit), then I'll order and wear it with pride!

I'm glad you shared that information; I'll keep looking into it, as I definitely don't want to commit the offensive error of wearing a bogus tartan!

I hear there's a kilt-maker in Dallas somewhere. As I've recently (past couple of years) become very interested in my Scottish ancestry (I'm basically 1/2 Scottish, 1/3 Irish, 1/3 German), I'd like to look into wearing one myself.

Would an actual kilt-maker be able to assist me in "finding" my tartan? My people are the Littles from the lowlands, and at first I didn't think that they had a tartan, but that I could get away with wearing a county tartan. Recently, I saw that the Littles actually "count" as a clan, and that they have a tartan.

I don't know if it's definitive (after all, it's on the internet), but there is a Clan Little website that sold the tartan fabric by the yard, and also sold smaller things made from it. I was thinking about starting off with a scarf or hat, and then easing my wife into the idea of me having a full-fledged kilt. :tongue:

Cains Boy, there are 2 Clan Little Societies, Clan Little North America, and Clan Little International.

Google them up, the North America society has the fabric and assorted clan badges, jewelry etc.

They also attend many of the highland games, hosting a tent in the clan area. It is a great way to meet other Littles and learn about the border clans, history etc.

\Jim
PS, the fabric is the JC Little of Morton Rigg. Of course I have it, I'm not Dr. Johnny, but my initials are JC also.

Last edited:
OTOH it's not like the "official" clan tartans have any real meaning anyway, since the association with clans and tartans happened by accident when King George IV visited scotland and asked for the clan chiefs to show up attired in their traditional clan tartan, which led to a spate of letters to the tartan mills from clan chiefs asking the mills what their clan tartan was. The mills either made something up, or sent them the last tartan that had been ordered by someone of that name.

Interesting! That makes me feel better about wearing it. Now I just have to afford it. :eek:

I guess as long as it's recorgnized the way it seems to be (when I see a ".gov" at the end of a website, it makes me believe it may be legit), then I'll order and wear it with pride!

Anybody can design a tartan and submit it - the register's purpose is only make sure that the tartans are unique and to maintain the association between the name and the tartan.

Since the link between clans and tartans is so recent and tenuous, for the most part it's best to think of the clan name as simply the name of the pattern, and not think of the clan as somehow "owning" the pattern. There are tartans that are owned, the Burberry Plaid is one example (though it's a variation on Thompson Camel which is an unrestricted tartan), as are a few clan tartans that were designed as such and registered as "restricted", though in the case of a restricted tartan the restriction is one of convention and not law - the mills agree not to weave that tartan without permission. The Balmoral plaid is currently restricted for use by the royal family, but at one time was an unrestricted plaid so occasionally items show up and are perfectly legal to wear.

Last edited:
Top Bottom