What's new

Any issues with Arc 5 shavers with beard detection?

In reviewing the updated Arc 5 E Panasonic Releases New Arc 5 Lamdash Revision E Shavers • ShaverCheck - https://shavercheck.com/panasonic-arc-5-revision-e/
they state they updated the AI to detect the roughness of your beard. The prior versions had some issues with detection of your beard. Have you owners noticed any issues with your shaver?

I have both the N and Q models (3rd gen Arc 5) and according to the reviews I've seen the changes are not significant or maybe even noticeable. The most significant change is reported to be the flat center cutter on the new heads, but the photos (ES9179) look identical to the previous (ES9177) heads. The cutters (WES9170) are exactly the same as the first generation. The "automatic" beard detection is possibly similar to Braun's - and my own experience is it's not very noticeable, probably not very significant, and likely not very different in effect than the adjustable selector on earlier Pannys or Brauns - and neither manufacturer makes a shaver that picks up longer hairs as good as a rotary. I would not expect the "new" one to be any different.

This is typical of Panasonic - very small, incremental changes, while manufacturing and retaining virtually every other model they ever made. None of the 3rd gen really provide a significantly better or different shave than the 2nd gen (LV67/97), and arguably not that much different from the 1st gen. The most apparent changes in all of them are the exterior cosmetics. And the most notable similarities among all of them are the rather LARGE (5 elements on the more recent) heads, the very flexible (some would say wobbly) head attachment, the signature 14,000 cutting cycle (the "beehive" sound), and the "mix your own," detergent-based cleaning stations (the very first stations used a dry detergent cartridge, which frequently leaked).

And summarizing all of the above, the Arc shavers are excellent - probably providing the closest shave of any foil made. The distinct 14,000 cpm also provides the smoothest (least vibration) shaving experience of any other foil. The heads are large - currently the largest of any foil - and the most flexible. Some would say too large and too flexible, although I actually like them. And they do provide a comfortable shave - maybe the most comfortable of any foil - but because of the speed of the cutters and the thinness of the foil, have the most potential to give you razor burn if you don't use a light touch. My opinion, for what it's worth.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
What @Scaramouche said!

I would say with electrics only buy when your existing one breaks unless it's is a decade old. True performance changes don't happen frequently with electrics. The marketing team has the ability to make a millisecond sound like an eternity, always keep that in mind.

I have the second generation Arc 5, model ES-LV65-S, normally use it with the beard sensor on, and have not noticed any sensor issues. I always shave dry.

It's a great shaver.

I never use the beard sensor, nor do I let the shaving head "float". I prefer to have the head locked and on full throttle.

Top Bottom