What's new

Any IPA drinkers out there?

For a good many years, in fact right up until the 1980's, Ballantine ale was a regular and easy to obtain ale, most bar's had it on tap and in bottles. Then it just faded away and was quite hard to find. The Ballantine IPA was one of the best around, and is credited with starting the craft brewing industry. Their IPA had a very unique taste and was a very good drink. Come to find out that the Ballantine brewery fell on hard times and went out of business. Attempts at producing the same ale were made by a couple of different firms until the Pabst brewery took over the label. The Ballantine regular ale has been available for some time though not on a really large scale. The regular ale is still quite good, but in checking around for their IPA, I found that it just wasn't being made anymore. However in checking with a large package store in my area, that has row upon row of ales and IPA's, I found out that the Ballantine IPA formula has been rediscovered and will be brewed and back on the shelves here in the Northeast sometime after September 14th. That's only 2 days away. I'm not a big drinker, but I really like the Ballantine IPA, so to me that's great news. Any other Ballantine ale/IPA drinkers out there?

i like IPA's

Stone
Ballast point
deschuttes
Avery
Great Divide
Sierra Nevada
Dogfish head
oskar blues

Too many to count.

I've tried some IPAs, and I think they are not unlike some heavily scented shaving soaps: too much of a good thing.
I think the hops in most British ales (and German Dortmunders) are just right; the IPAs are overdoing it.
As in everything: YMMV of course!

Big fan of IPA's, including some on the above list. Will add:

Frye's Leap, (by Sebago Brewery in Maine)
Harpoon
Lagunitas
Smuttynose "Finest Kind"
Peak Organic

I will try every single IPA I can get my grubby hands on. For me, my favorites (I consider them standards to judge other IPA's by) are:

Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA (120 minute is good, but the second it warms up, run for the hills)
Great Divide Hercules Double IPA
Lagunitas overall has fantastic IPA's
Heavy Seas also produces some fantastic brews.

Only problem I have with IPA's is that they seem to be edging out a lot of other styles from store shelves. I'll generally pick an IPA over pretty much everything else, but sometimes I like to switch it up and there are less options than in previous years imo.

Yes, IPAs have become ubiquitous. I do offset my affinity for them by rotating through other styles and I don't drink regularly. But here in California there are a few places that have IPA festivals that really deliver the hop fun experience. Equally though, I do have a thing for Belgians and Trappist Ales in particular. A European tour involving some major exploration in that regard is on the near horizon.

I really love the hoppy beers. IPAs take care of my thirst for hops pretty well, but every year around November hood river had a hops fest. All the brewers do their hops harvest and just get hop stoopid! Incredible beers!

IPAs are great and very popular. Every single brewery makes an IPA, so finding a good one is never hard.
Every single brewery makes an IPA? Not to challenge your opinion, but I bet there are many many breweries who make nothing like an IPA at all.

Mort Subite in Kobbegem comes to mind, for instance. They make an excellent gueuze though.

I mean here in the US. You would be hard pressed to find a craft brewery in the US that did not make an IPA
Ah yes, it's a local thing, I presume.

Still plan to visit Amsterdam by public transport .... passing by the Beer Temple in the car is not a good thing :wink2:

I will try every single IPA I can get my grubby hands on. For me, my favorites (I consider them standards to judge other IPA's by) are:

Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA (120 minute is good, but the second it warms up, run for the hills)
Great Divide Hercules Double IPA
Lagunitas overall has fantastic IPA's
Heavy Seas also produces some fantastic brews.

Only problem I have with IPA's is that they seem to be edging out a lot of other styles from store shelves. I'll generally pick an IPA over pretty much everything else, but sometimes I like to switch it up and there are less options than in previous years imo.

Second it warms up? You mean you don't drink it warm? You can't even taste it when it's ice cold. But seriously I love IPAs. St. Arnold's out of Houston makes Elissa which is a lovely IPA that goes well with a steak, and in cooking for deglazing a pan or even as the liquid in chili. Here is my afternoon repast. Elissa and a bit of Sam Houston Whiskey. [
ATTACH]495455[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410642239.872209.jpg
    $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410642239.872209.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 147
Lots of IPA s out there, most of which are not really true IPAs. They are HOP BOMbs calling themselves IPAs. I love a good hoppy beer, but so many today are completely un balanced, that they are not IPAs to me. Try something like a Bells Two Hearted ale, for a nice, strong, hoppy but balanced with malt brew.... Yummy.

Top Bottom