What's new

Any interest in another group buy for Japanese style kitchen knives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
240mm Wa handled gytuo in Carbon would be my vote

A Nakkiri would be good too.

Nice!
I bought a 180mm version, so a large one would be good.

proxy.php

I'll second that!
Shinichi Watanabe is a great knive maker, and a pleasure to work with!

Watanabe made me a perfect Santoku, with Shiro uchi blue steel between stainless steel for only 25 USD extra.

I would certainly love e.g. a small nakiri knife!

Yes, his small Nakiris do look very nice. I've got one of these, and it's my most-used knife...

proxy.php

My favourite is a Yanagi he made for me, like this, which I got with a ho wood sheath...

proxy.php

(I'm still practicing my sashimi skills :001_smile)

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I think this is a great opportunity, especially for those who missed out last year. I purchased three knives last time and the timing worked out just right for me to use them for the preparation of Christmas dinner. This is one of the things I said last year on receipt of the knives . . . Click Here.

I was very very impressed by the Nakiri. In my kitchen this one knife gets a lot of work. It is the perfect size for veg. The Gytou and Petty have taken up the spots in my knife block formerly held by some German knives but really these have been more a replacement . . . so while they are better . . . there is a bit of same old same old about them.

I chickened out a bit and didn't go for the carbon . . . I kept safe with stainless. If I were doing it again I'd go for the carbon steel. I might purchase a second Nakiri in carbon if it is included in the offer.

Great value, amazing sharpness . . . and yes I can confirm that the knives do hold an edge far longer.

Mike

I would be interested in a group buy. A Santoku (maybe with a hollow edge) or a Nakiri would be my choice. I like the Shun line. The octagon handle looks stylish and is comfortable to use.

Yes Jon from JKI will be our point man. as I said in post #4 If you have a maker in mind then feel free to throw it into the mix.

Thanks Jim for the clarification. From my perspective its just a little difficult browsing the site , given my 'disability' in the world of Japanese knives at large (southpaw; many of the blades on there don't specify if they're lefty friendly and I guess perhaps I should just assume they are not). Hard to discern handle / grind. Guess my $0.02 would be that I'd like to see an offering that is lefty / ambi friendly.

Every knife in the last buy was suitable for a lefty, The only time the bias is a problem is on a single bevel knife. Jon is a great guy and is very helpful. Don't be shy about shooting him a PM.

yeah... i think our best bet would be to do something suitable for both right and left handers... i see a lot of you guys are thinking about watanabe... i dont have a relationship with him, but there are plenty of other makers that i could do something similar from... the most important feeler i need to get out is the price range you guys want to stay within... then i can throw out some cool options in that range that i think might be a good fit

I'm interested. My experience is a handful of quality European knives so I'm following the lead of others on what and vendors.

I may be interested depends on what options, I am thinking maybe a western handled stainless petty......

I was in on the last group buy, got a 240mm Yoshihiro carbon Gyuto -original buy post 391 I just got it back a couple weeks ago from having it resharpend by Dave who does excellent work :thumbsup:

So what price point are we looking at folks? These knives go all over the place on pricing so getting this input is crucial to Jon nailing suggestions that suit your needs.

<$100

>$100

$100 - $200

>$200 ?

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
yeah... i think our best bet would be to do something suitable for both right and left handers... i see a lot of you guys are thinking about watanabe... i dont have a relationship with him, but there are plenty of other makers that i could do something similar from... the most important feeler i need to get out is the price range you guys want to stay within... then i can throw out some cool options in that range that i think might be a good fit

Well there are a lot of different knives. A large chef's knife or gyuto is commonly over $200 . . .but My gut feeling on this is the sub $200 is the sweet spot . . . Just off the top of my head I top out at less than $300 for a gyuto, $200 for a Nakiri, and $130 for a petty. Add a mid and a low point from here . . . (Maybe the low is 1/2 the high point)

But really . . . 40% of the value is from the story that goes with this . . . comes from a factory that has been making knives for xxx years . . . rarely seen in North America but perfect for . . . . handle made from ????? wood which is warm to the touch and lasts xxx years.

(88% of statistics are made up)

I'm looking for a 270mm Gyuoto, preferably Stainless- I get sidetracked in the work kitchen too much :/ I'm willing to spent $250- just don't tell SWMBO!

I was about to pull the trigger on a Masamoto VG. I'm scared of a Wa handle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom