What's new

Any Instant People here

71393287_10220580401999411_7794073806271676416_n.jpg

Any Instant people here?
pic: IP in Florence on 680

Nice! I have an instant mini that I got for my boys to use. I also have one of the old Fuji wide models. I should fish that out for some shots.

There is nothing more magical in the photo world than seeing a picture appear on paper
out of nothing after pressing a button. (thank you Edwin Land)

I tried all kinds of digital cams but i am happy now with just my phone for moments and
my instant gear for art, projects, fun and experiments.
It is just such a sad hobby with all the mediums dying.

Everybody should try it.

There is nothing more magical in the photo world than seeing a picture appear on paper
out of nothing after pressing a button. (thank you Edwin Land)

I tried all kinds of digital cams but i am happy now with just my phone for moments and
my instant gear for art, projects, fun and experiments.
It is just such a sad hobby with all the mediums dying.

Everybody should try it.
To tell you the truth I feel the same. I got a fancy digital to take pics of my kids growing up. But I’m much happier taking pictures of them on my film camera or Polaroid.

I feel like I never look at the digital pictures on my hard drive, at least with the film I can look at it in albums.

That simply isnt true - Polaroid cameras were NOT predominantly used for that in the 1970's.

I know this because my folks bought me a Polaroid for my birthday, because I was into photography from an early age (ironically, it was a Polaroid Super Swinger.... [emoji28]). But there is no way they would have bought me a Polaroid aged 10 if they had such a reputation.

That simply isnt true - Polaroid cameras were NOT predominantly used for that in the 1970's.

I know this because my folks bought me a Polaroid for my birthday, because I was into photography from an early age (ironically, it was a Polaroid Super Swinger.... [emoji28]). But there is no way they would have bought me a Polaroid aged 10 if they had such a reputation.
And that’s exactly why I bought one for my 5yr old. He enjoys taking pictures and I’d rather him learn about the importance of taking a minute to frame and think of a shot vs shooting a couple hundred digital and getting one good one.

The MOST important thing, of all, is to learn to frame in your mind, using your eyes and imagination.

I started taking pictures in the late 60's with compact 35mm film cameras that had next to useless tiny glass viewfinders (Pen D if your interested) - the offset from the lens led to framing errors (even with compensation marks in the viewfinder)

I went on a few photography courses when i worked as a film finishing tech (for Kodak amongst others) and all the courses emphasised the need to be able to LEARN to keep the camera down, whilst you visualised and cropped the shot in your head.

It meant learning depth of field for different apertures and different focal lengths - a press photographer once told me that if the focal length is 28mm or below, you set the focus point to 15ft and fix it with a strip of sellotape, then stop down at least f8 and your good to go - everything from arms length to infinity will be sharp and you can worry about the people and the action.

Learn about rule-of-thirds and backlighting and depth of field compression.

Instant vs film vs digital really shouldn't come into it - just learn about photography and make the best of the equipment you have. I now have a Sony RX-100 and know it well enough i don't use the screen to compose shots ( and i don't machine gun away either )

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I used to love watching the photo appear on the paper once you had taken the shot. It got far to expensive here in Australia to purchase the film for the old camera that I still have here somewhere.

Hi,

Ironically, I just was given Instant as something to think about once again. The use of Fujifilm Instax film in a Pentax 6x7 medium format camera. How's that for oddball?

What is done, is the removal of one sheet of Instax out of the cartridge and set into the Pentax whilst in a dark bag. After taking the shot, you return the Instax film to the cartridge and then have the Fuji camera pass it out so the developer activates.

Normally, I would use the large medium format SLR with B&W 120 roll film and then process it myself the old fashioned way. Color is far more difficult, and all the places around that would take care of color processing are going away.

Here is away to use the old medium format rig with color film all on your own. Right now, I am trying to talk myself out of giving this a try, but it does sound wickedly simple and complicated at the same time. Single shot medium format.

Way back when, before all the electronic test equpment went digital, we'd use Polaroid cameras to take shots of the signals on the screens. I haven't used such since.

Stan

Nope! I took nine months like most of us.... 😑. but seriously, I have been playing wiith Fuji instax film lately in my rolleiflex with special plate film adapters. im having a rough time developing them evenly though. i cant seem to get even enough pressure across the picture after cracking the chem packet. thinking of canabalizing an old broken plastic fantastic Polaroid for the roller mechanism and maybe using that in the darkbag after shoots

Top Bottom