What's new

Any inflatable kayak owners ?

Bought a couple of inflatable kayaks last summer hoping to take family trips around the numerous lakes and waterways we have here. Didn't want to deal with storage and loading issues associated with "proper" rigid kayaks.

So far, my daughter is the only one interested in it, so one kayak remained in storage, and the other one is largely used by me alone.

Great recreation, but once I got in a high enough wind that I spent three hours literally inching my way upstream when it took me just an hour to get to the turnaround point :)

Curious if people used them on the open water (ocean / large lakes), any pointers, and any tips & tricks...

IMG_0744 (Edited).JPG

Following also. We bought a two-person Sea Eagle, but so far have only used it on small lakes and gentle downstream without white water, or any requiring much steering.

Have seen these at Manards and am curious to hear opinions on their durability. We were going tubing every Sunday but haven't gone in a few weeks. Great fun in the outdoors! Lots of cool people on the river and something interesting always seems to happen to someone, a while back my buddy lost his car keys in the river lol. Never a dull moment.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I'll never trust another inflatable boat.

Spent a whole day-into-night floating down a river on a popped boat once. Submerged stump tore the bottom out 15 minutes in. One cushion survived to float us.

AA

I second Ad Astra's comment. I would not trust an inflatable boat. First of all, a rigid is not just more durable but I imagine it is faster and easier to control in windy conditions. And I also favor the fiberglass variety over the plastic ones. The ones where you actually sit inside it and wear a skirt to keep water from getting in the boat. But those also require you to learn how to right the boat using your paddles without getting out of the kayak if you tip over. In the end I'm more of a canoe guy anyway. When my son was younger I would take him on canoe camping trips in the Adirondacks. I loved those times as did he. He's 16 now. Ironically I was talking with one of my neighbors who recently lost his job (as did I, albeit 2 1/2 years ago) and he said he'd be up for some canoe camping with his son, who happens to be one of my son's best friends. Looking to try and make this happen. But that's for another thread.

I have one just like yours. I use it in a local Bay when the sea is flat.
I had a two seats before and with my ex girlfriend we got in a few not so safe situations in open waters.
I discourage anyone to use it in anything other than flat river/lake surface.

Following also. We bought a two-person Sea Eagle, but so far have only used it on small lakes and gentle downstream without white water, or any requiring much steering.

I also have a two person Sea Eagle and primarily use it on lakes. I have used it on a river but we had someone meet one of us at the endpoint where we left our vehicle and he drove him back to the jumping off site. It is much easier than paddling back against the current if that's even possible!

Only takes me ten minutes to pump it up also.

As far as safety, the Sea Eagle has three primary chambers. Bottom, Right and Left sides so even if the bottom chamber tears from a hidden stump you still have the two sides.

Mike

... I'm more of a canoe guy anyway.

Me too.

If one wishes to use a kayak paddle, there are plenty of smaller or solo canoes that work.

You lose a lot of energy to the flexing of any inflatable boat. It feels like fighting it the whole time. They're terribly inefficient.

I've used it since the summer of 2018. Not sure how many times, but 5-6 times a season, for certain.

It's pretty sturdy, and has 3 sections so should stay safe even if one is torn.

However, I would absolutely not take it out on open water (ocean or the Great Lakes), or anywhere with whitewater current and rocks. These kayaks were simply not designed for these kinds of activities.

They are also not for the really windy conditions, as it's basically a large balloon so wind can really interfere with your making progress in a given direction. Which is the case for the rigid kayaks as well, they just don't present as much of a surface to push against.

On the other hand, these kayaks are perfect for what I am using them for - small to medium lakes, slow rivers, we have tons of these here in Michigan. It takes 10 minutes to fully inflate and assemble, it can easily be carried by one person (even though it's not exactly featherweight, this is some sturdy material), and it fits in a large bag in a trunk. I was told that they are also great for fishing, but I wouldn't know.

I would certainly recommend getting a better set of oars than the ones that come with them, but the included ones are still pretty adequate.

Here's where I usually take it... all these photos were taken from my kayak, sometimes in the middle of the river. This river has a riverfront brewery which I end up at sometimes ;) Kayaking for an hour before and an hour after makes me feel like I earned my beer :a8:

IMG_0933.jpg
IMG_1254 (3).jpg
IMG_1253.jpg
IMG_1252.jpg
IMG_1247.jpg

Last edited:
I've used it since the summer of 2018. Not sure how many times, but 5-6 times a season, for certain.

It's pretty sturdy, and has 3 sections so should stay safe even if one is torn.

However, I would absolutely not take it out on open water (ocean or the Great Lakes), or anywhere with whitewater current and rocks. These kayaks were simply not designed for these kinds of activities.

They are also not for the really windy conditions, as it's basically a large balloon so wind can really interfere with your making progress in a given direction. Which is the case for the rigid kayaks as well, they just don't present as much of a surface to push against.

On the other hand, these kayaks are perfect for what I am using them for - small to medium lakes, slow rivers, we have tons of these here in Michigan. It takes 10 minutes to fully inflate and assemble, it can easily be carried by one person (even though it's not exactly featherweight, this is some sturdy material), and it fits in a large bag in a trunk. I was told that they are also great for fishing, but I wouldn't know.

I would certainly recommend getting a better set of oars than the ones that come with them, but the included ones are still pretty adequate.

Here's where I usually take it... all these photos were taken from my kayak, sometimes in the middle of the river. This river has a riverfront brewery which I end up at sometimes ;) Kayaking for an hour before and an hour after makes me feel like I earned my beer :a8:

View attachment 1018457 View attachment 1018458 View attachment 1018459 View attachment 1018460 View attachment 1018461
Cool pics! You did earn your beer.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I had a large 2 person inflatable. It was terrible on the ocean. Even in a protected cove. Its low ratings on the water were only matched with trying to get it home. Inflation was easy enough. Points for the new pumps. However deflation was a deal breaker. I had trouble getting most of the air out and it was difficult to roll up to transport. Add to that that i was wresting with a wet and sandy piece of vinyl or whatever it was. Its heavy. No handle. Wet and sandy monster takes up the entire suv cargo area. It was a c- on the water and an f for transport. I donated it to the garbage man. Ymmv but i never complain about tossing a real kayak up on the roof racks now.

Never again. The only positive thing I can say about the one I had is that it floated. Beyond that, it sucked in every way.

Top Bottom