What's new

Any ideas for pork tenderloin?

I'm gonna do up a pork tenderloin tomorrow night and I'm kinda out of ideas. I thought about stuffing it with apples,raisins,carrots,and a splash of rum. Thought about kebabs. Thought about just grilling it. It all seems over done and boring. I could smoke it as I have mesquite wood chips,..

Anyone have any comments or ideas?

I've done a nice sear/roast that I got from an Anthony Bourdain book (can't remember which one):

make a paste from roasted garlic (cut the top off of a head of garlic, drizzle with olive oil and herbs and bake in foil until soft, maybe 350 for an hour, squeeze out of the peels and mash)

I used two tenderloins and inbetween them smear the garlic paste and a piece of good bacon, then tie them with string and salt and pepper the outside,

sear in a pan (don't rush it--nice and brown all over)

put in hot oven to finish

make a quick pan sauce from drippings

yum

I'm gonna do up a pork tenderloin tomorrow night and I'm kinda out of ideas. I thought about stuffing it with apples,raisins,carrots,and a splash of rum. Thought about kebabs. Thought about just grilling it. It all seems over done and boring. I could smoke it as I have mesquite wood chips,..

Anyone have any comments or ideas?

Here's the way I recently BBQ'd a pork loin the recipe would work great for tenderloin as well. Also, I would recommend getting a variety of wood chips. And if you do use mesquite (not recommended) use it very sparingly, as it can easily overtake all the other flavors. It's my least favorite wood for smoking. When I do this recipe I either use a "sweet" wood i.e. cherry, apple, apricot, or if you can find it I really like chips made from old Jack Daniels oak aging barrels. Hickory would do just fine too and is my most commonly used wood. Anyway, to the pics. I also posted a link to the recipe. http://www.bbqu.net/season3/311_4.html#tennessee_pork

My easy, no fuss way to do pork tenderloin is to use a dry rub (which I let sit for at least a couple of hours in the fridge), followed by 60 to 90 minutes at between 225 to 250 degrees (assuming an average sized tenderloin).

I do this either on the BBQ or in the oven.

If in the BBQ (charcoal or gas), I use the indirect heat method and put a pan of water on the lower rack below the meat. I often add some woodchips and agree with the post above about NOT using mesquite, as I think it adds a very harsh, nasty flavour. I prefer hickory or any fruitwood.

If in the oven I put the meat on the roasting rack and some water in the pan underneath the rack.

This will yield a very moist, flavourful roast - its also dead easy.

Oh yeah, do up some extra, as its great for leftovers!

Have fun!

This looks good IMHO:

proxy.php

Recipe

I just cooked a pair this weekend.

Stuffed with Spanish chorizos by slashing at each end and pushing the chorizos inside the tenderloins (2 chorizos per tenderloin)
Marinated for 24 hours in:
1 Habanero pepper
7 cloves of garlic
sage,oregano and cumin.
(All the above ingredients made into a paste in a food processor by adding olive oil while processing)
Rub the whole paste well into both tenderloins
Cook for an hour and a half on a 350 oven. Each of the tenderloins was about a pound
Serve with Chile Ancho sauce
If you like spicy...This is heaven
If you can get Ground Ancho Chilis the recipe for the sauce comes in the package or you can do without the sauce

Top Bottom