What's new

Any idea what this is? (Calvin Klein brushes)

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum but have been using a brush and soap for years. Started with a cheap drugstore synthetic, then got this Calvin Klein 5-piece set for a Christmas gift (the darker brush). After a couple pucks of soap the bowl rusted, I guess the chrome plating wasn't that great, but then I saw this set again in a Winners for only $25 so picked it up mainly for the bowl. However this one has a different brush (the lighter, 3 band brush). There's no description on the box and I'm relatively inexperienced with different brushes. They both look like real hair (have tapered bristles and aren't perfectly uniform like synthetics), and the dark brush performs much better then my first drugstore synthetic.

Does anyone know (or could make an educated guess) what these are made of and approximately what quality they are? I'm considering an upgrade but don't have much $ to spend, so would something like an Edwin Jagger in Best be an upgrade or about the same?

I haven't used the 3 band brush yet, but it feels much stiffer/firmer than the dark brush, and the bristles are much thicker at the base. Would it be a good bet that the dark one is badger and the 3 band is boar? With the dark brush there are some untrimmed hairs, but some are definitely trimmed and not tapered at the end. Maybe about 50/50 on trimmed to untrimmed.

Thanks for the help.

$photo 1.JPG$photo 2.JPG$photo 3.JPG$photo 4.JPG$photo 5.JPG

The first brush looks like a "pure" badger to me. Typically the lowest grade. The second brush is a dyed boar. An EJ in best would be an upgrade, yes. Less scritchy and likely softer. But not any denser (if you care about density).

I find my boar really soft. I wouldn't call them scritchy, in the least!

I'll definitely give the boar a try before any new purchases. While the hairs seem coarser at the base, they are mostly split at the ends so actually look quite fine and soft.

Top Bottom