What's new

Any idea about what came in this Gillette can?

Snagged this off the da Bay but I am clueless about the story behind this Gillette decorative tin can. Any idea what came in it? It is made by Chien Co., which is known for making collectable tin toys and promotional items. Any info would be much appreciated!:001_smile

TIA,
Chris

That is a great looking collectable tin, with excellant/interesting graphics. If you put a slot in the top, I guess you could use it for a coin bank when you are a kid and a used blade vault when your start DE/SE shaving.

Last edited:
Chien Co. made this tin as a reproduction. I have one of the originals at the store but I have yet to find out what they were originally made for. I can find out the maker when I open in the morning.

The image was originally (around 1905) used on promotional material for Gillette. Here it is on a postcard that would be sent by stores selling the new razor.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Thanks Ray! The graphics actually have some artificial "aging" to make them look older than they are.

Thanks Joe! I've seen authentic old time Gillette ads with these pictures on them. I wonder when this reproduction was made.

I came across a seller on eBay that does custom vintage images on enamel mugs. The mug comes with a lid and seems like it would make a very nice shave soap mug. So I contacted the seller to see if she had any vintage Gillette images and could make me one of her mugs with said image. She's making me one with this very image (the baby image). I'm not promoting her or her items, just relating it with this tin can and the image on it.

Yes, me too! lol But I see it as Gillette saying back then in 1904 that "shaving with these new razors are so easy, a baby could do it!" I wonder if the ad campaign worked for them.

Good point......but the way the baby is holding it AND it's at a severe angle to his chin AND it's an open comb......I don't know know, I just see lots of blood and crying and a pissed off mother wanting to know what the hell you were thinking letting jr. play with your razor

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Yes, me too! lol But I see it as Gillette saying back then in 1904 that "shaving with these new razors are so easy, a baby could do it!" I wonder if the ad campaign worked for them.

Geico did pretty well with the Caveman idea on the same lines.

Top Bottom