What's new

Any Houston Honers?

Hey everyone, I have been away from shaving for about four years. My two blades were put away well oiled in order to prevent rusting. They were also stropped after their last use. This past Sunday, I found myself needing to shave in order to properly wear a mask for work purposes. Thankfully I had my straight razors, because I did not have one disposable razor in my new home. I regret to say that I did not follow my usual procedure for shaving, by applying pre-shave oil and stropping. There were two reasons for this. I could not find my strop (thanks wife for hiding my stuff), and I ran out of pre-shave oil. Needless to say my shave on Sunday evening as well as my shave this morning were not the most comfortable, nor the cleanest. Now I also realize that 4 years of not shaving, one may be a bit heavy handed and out of practice, and I am willing to accept that fact of life. While it did not take long to re-acclimate to the feel of the process and the amount of time it took to clean up my ugly mug was not terribly long, but it was most certainly not rushed. Practice makes perfect, as they say.

Now that the semi-long winded preface is out of the way. I am looking for someone preferably local to the Houston area or Texas in general that has honing skills to touch up my blades. I have looked into purchasing some stones to do it myself, but I am not keen on ruining my Ralph Aust blades. They are my first pair and only pair. Call me stuck up, but I dislike the Gold Dollars for some reason. It is not the talk about them either, I know people have a liking to them after the blades have been doctored up. Anyway....I would rather have someone that know what they are doing touch up my blades for the time being while I procure a set of stones and an inexpensive (not Gold Dollar) razor. The problem is, when I start looking at razors, my eyes always gaze to the nicer looking and more pricey razors. I'm flawed like a moth to a flame.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.

I will find my strop between tonight and this Sunday. Maybe all they need is a good stropping.

I live in Cypress and there were a couple of guys in the area that were honing, but, I started honing my own and haven't used them in years. Its sad that as big as the Houston metro area is that there aren't any honers or wet shavers groups in the area.

Top Bottom