What's new

Any Hottop owners here?

I am looking to up my game in home roasting and there is a Hottop on Craigslist for $700. Ad states it is just over year old with about 65 roasts on it. Recently cleaned. I was hoping someone here has experience with the Hottop? Any operational issues or things that I may encounter with a used machine? I have read about the maintenance needs and that is something I can work with.

I have an older model, but love it. Haven't seen the need to upgrade to the latest control board...I get everything I need from it.

It's been perfectly reliable, and I've had it for probably 10 years.

I'm looking at roasters myself (been researching them tonight). Hottop has a great reputation. I'm hesitant to get a used model since you lose the warranty, but could be worth it at the right price.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

I'm looking at roasters myself (been researching them tonight). Hottop has a great reputation. I'm hesitant to get a used model since you lose the warranty, but could be worth it at the right price.

Hottop has a very good replacement parts dept along with in depth "how to" guides for repairing all areas of their roaster as well as "upgrade kits" to bring older/obsolete roasters up to respectable levels and all the way to their latest flag ship model (multiple levels of upgrade kits). The kits come with everything right down to screws and wire ties.

Hottops are not difficult to tear down (I've done it 3 times to mine for repairs, mods, and kits).

I started with a used "does not work" standard B model. I restored it to working condition. Then modified it all the way to external computer controls. After the obsolete control panel died I bit the bullet and bought a B2-K+ upgrade. The old B model panels are the only parts no longer available as they had a design flaw which caused most to fail, depleting the company's stock of spares.

Having bought 3 non working roasters (different brands) and restored them all, I can say that the Hottop is the simplest to work on.

Here is an older B&B thread that will show you the inside workings of the Hottop roaster

Coffee Roasting Methods Discussion

Last edited:
Hottop has a very good replacement parts dept along with in depth "how to" guides for repairing all areas of their roaster as well as "upgrade kits" to bring older/obsolete roasters up to respectable levels and all the way to their latest flag ship model (multiple levels of upgrade kits). The kits come with everything right down to screws and wire ties.

Hottops are not difficult to tear down (I've done it 3 times to mine for repairs, mods, and kits).

I started with a used "does not work" standard B model. I restored it to working condition. Then modified it all the way to external computer controls. After the obsolete control panel died I bit the bullet and bought a B2-K+ upgrade. The old B model panels are the only parts no longer available as they had a design flaw which caused most to fail, depleting the company's stock of spares.

Having bought 3 non working roasters (different brands) and restored them all, I can say that the Hottop is the simplest to work on.

Here is an older B&B thread that will show you the inside workings of the Hottop roaster

Coffee Roasting Methods Discussion
Great information. Great information. Due to the costs, I am going back and forth between finding a decent deal on a used roaster, such as a Hottop, or get the Behmor 1600+, which still seems rather high (but roasting on the BBQ grill is rather time consuming). After reading your comments, I will keep my eyes open for a used Hottop, as I don't really need to purchase something until winter, when it is too cold to roast outside.

I will be interested to see if James picks up the used Hottop and what his impressions are of the machine.

Look for a B-K model.

B means manual

K means K-type thermocouple

Full designation: KN-8828B-K

B-2K has k-type, and emergency/manual bean eject

If you get a non K model or one of the dinosaurs the cost to update to the K model makes it cheaper to just buy another one.

Thank you for all the replies. Model is KN-8828B-2K. I'm really leaning toward picking this up and will certainly post up my experience with it.

Just to close this thread out, I passed on the roaster. I could not get the funds together. I'll be sticking with the Popcorn pumper for now or until it gives it up.
Thanks to everyone who posted.

Just to close this thread out, I passed on the roaster. I could not get the funds together. I'll be sticking with the Popcorn pumper for now or until it gives it up.
Thanks to everyone who posted.
Budget is a priority, so you made a smart decision.

Top Bottom