What's new

Any hope to save?

I recently discovered my great grandfathers collection of straight razors (as well as a couple newer safeties).

The one that caught my eye is a Joseph Allen Medium Hollow that is pretty rough with . The blade edge has some "chattering" along it if you run the back of your finger nail across it. I would like to try to restore it and give it a whirl since I enjoy shaving with a double edge so much. What do you all think? I'm trying to get some photos up but my computer doesn't seem to like me today.

Do you think if I cleaned it up and sent it off to a professional they might be able to grind the edge back?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Its always possible, and even if not, those razors are something to cherish for sure. Pics would help a bunch. Main thing to look for is really deep rust close to the razors edge, and chips and cracks.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Hopefully these will tell a little more. Thank you both for the fast replies!

I think that would be some serious work to do on your own. There are some really good restorers around that might be able to bring that ol boy back to life.

Legion

Staff member
That will be a challenge... I've brought back heavy wedges which were as bad, but they had a lot more metal that I could hone away to get past the pitting. It might be possible, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I think I'll pass on it then and let it be a wall hanger in the bathroom. There was another one that a relative snagged (broken scales) but it was a lot cleaner. Perhaps a phone call is in order to get a hold of it.

I appriciate all the help guys, and I'll rebump this if I can get a hold of the other blade.

Top Bottom