What's new

Any home-brewers???

Anyone planning to brew with the warming weather?

Used to brew frequently, but the hassle of cleaning and bottling sapped my joy.
Not so much planning as intending... but yeah.

I switched over to corny kegs, and now the 5+ year long collection of various styles of bottles is just an untouched shelving unit in my basement. I got a bottling gun with the intention of bottling the carbonated beer from the keg, so I could build up some stock of various brews, but still haven't used it. Once you switch to kegs, going back to bottles is just too much of a pain in the ***.

There's still cleanup, but it's so much better. You just drain the carboy into the keg and connect the CO2. Done in 10 minutes.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

I switched over to corny kegs, and now the 5+ year long collection of various styles of bottles is just an untouched shelving unit in my basement. I got a bottling gun with the intention of bottling the carbonated beer from the keg, so I could build up some stock of various brews, but still haven't used it. Once you switch to kegs, going back to bottles is just too much of a pain in the ***.

There's still cleanup, but it's so much better. You just drain the carboy into the keg and connect the CO2. Done in 10 minutes.
This sounds like it's a LOT more fun.

If my son wasn't a beer salesman I'd go this route.... But not werth it for my average consumption of 8 oz. day....

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius

I almost felt like I was cheating when I kegged a batch for the first time. I just stood there for a second. "That's it?"

I'll bottle from the keg for competition entries or to give away, but that's it.

One reason I quit homebrewing. Once I broke into management and my 40 hour weeks turned into the 60 hours weeks the thought of cleaning everything using it, cleaning, checking temps, checking hygrometers, cleaning more, cleaning more, moving to secondary, cleaning more, getting the bottles, bottle tree, bottle cleaner out, cleaning more, bottleing, capping, cleaning more, pitching a new batch on the old yeast cake, repeat...

Took it out of me. I clean enough at work and make sure people clean more at work. Just too much. 13 gallon All grain batches... lots of cleaning! (Because if you can do 13 gallons of wort in the time it takes to make 6, why only make 6?)

And for the beers I like I was spending just as much on hops and grain as what I could have bought as much better and already made beer.

If I had a keg system, I would drink it faster. It would be too easy to walk over and pour another.

If anyone is in the Columbus, OH area and needs carboys and random other equipment I can make ya deal ;)

Top Bottom