What's new

Any help identifying this straight razor brand?

So, I've owned this razor for about 5 or 6 years now (it was slightly nicer when I got it, however letting it sit on a shelf for 3 years caused two small rust spots to appear on it, one right over the P in "Palermo" I also chipped it when first honing it years ago (don't rinse a razor in a ceramic bowl) but I honed the razor until the chip was honed out and now it shaves very well.
However I have no idea what make it is. It's stamped Wald - Solingen though apparently that's not a brand, it also has the crown and sword stamp which I hear is an ERN thing, though it doesn't have ERN stamped anywhere on it.
I was given it by a family member who picked it up at an antiques fair for "around £10" though razors seem to go much cheaper in antiques fairs and local auctions compared to ebay, for example I have my eye on a set of 10 straight razors that's going up for auction soon with the estimate being £40-55 for the lot and most if not all are Solingen or Sheffield steel with a few recognisable names in the batch and the ones pictured look to be in okay shape.
Back on topic however, does anyone know what brand this razor is? Pics related.
20201115_190850.jpg
20201115_190751.jpg

Dont feel too bad... from the pic it looks like its well enjoyed, keep an eye on the edge, looks like it could be developing a frown.

Dont feel too bad... from the pic it looks like its well enjoyed, keep an eye on the edge, looks like it could be developing a frown.
Yeah I noticed that about the edge, as previously mentioned I chipped the razor the day my coticule arrived, pretty much right in the middle too. I did hone it out; first by just moving the blade perpendicular along hone until I removed enough steel to hone the rest out then when there was only a tiny bit of chip left I started resetting the bevel, on a coticule, which took quite a while. I think due to the fact that my coticule is very thin and this is the first razor I've ever honed I tend to hone the middle more than the rest, especially on the side pictured, the other side is much more even in the grind, I assume this is just because I feel more experienced moving the blade away from me on the hone than bringing it back.
I did notice this and put the blade (when it was dull) gently against a piece of card and there's maybe a fraction of a millimetre at the centre, but I'll have to hone the blade straight again before it gets any worse.

Speaking of straight razors with odd blade geometry two things I've seen on ebay are vintage razors with a semicircle ground out of the blade, either just before the toe or at the heel deep into the metal (I'll try and find an example) and blades where the spine is wavy rather than straight. Is there any reason for this or is this to 'hide'/remove damage to the blade?
Pics related:
What on earth is going on here? I'd make a thread about it but don't want to clutter up the forums.
20201116_005830.jpg
20201116_005810.jpg

First one is just broke. Maybe some ground it to a circle.

the second is likely a worked spine in form of 2 large scallops but perspective is hard to see. Would be better from the too to see.

First one is just broke. Maybe some ground it to a circle.

the second is likely a worked spine in form of 2 large scallops but perspective is hard to see. Would be better from the too to see.
Thanks. I've seen the heel ground out in a similar manner to the first one so wasn't sure if it was for some type of precision shaving (I suppose with some practice you could give yourself a perfect toothbrush moustache with the first one in one stroke for that timeless 1930s look:biggrin1:) sadly there isn't a top down view of the second one, it's in a batch of 6 and they just have a few images of the razors bunched up lying flat. I've seen that wavy geometry before however on ebay

Top Bottom