What's new

any head shavers use shavettes?

Hey was wondering if any head shavers use shavettes to do a complete head shave?

Which shavettes do you use?

Which blades do you use in your shavettes?

I use Feather DX, Feather SS, Kai Captain, Kai Captain Excelia, CJB and a few other various folding and non folding "kamisori" shavettes. I use Kai Protouch MG, Kai Salon Select, Feather Professional, Feather ProGuard, Schick Prolines and some generic blades as well. I did not like Kai Titan Mild (pink) and haven't tried Feather Supers. I only head shave with shavettes once in a while when I feel like doing something spontaneous. It's fun and enjoyable but it takes longer than usual unless I'm drunk. For some reason, I shave like a King when I'm drunk.

I often use shavettes (and straights, DE, SE's) for head shaves. In order of preference: Tedalus Essence shavette - Schick ProLine - Feather DX

blades: Schick Proline P-30 - Feather Professional - Feather Super Professional - Kai mild

anyone used these finger type shavette razors?

proxy.php

proxy.php

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I use barber straights sometimes. I'm off on another trail at the moment, doing this year's slant review series. Between stages I'll return to barber straights for a few days, and once the whole series is done for the year I'll probably take a major dive back into the barber straights again.

I have:

Parker SRX
"Sally SS" clone from Sally Beauty
Kai clone
Focus Slim Al
Kasho Woody

The Parker and the Focus use 1/2DE blades. The rest use AC blades. My go-to DE blade is the Astra SP, and after experimenting with guarded AC blades (and not liking the shave) I've pretty much settled on Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink as my favourite.

All of them shave well, however I will note that the Parker is liable to leave a few nicks behind at first. The "Sally SS" is a lovely shaver. I have less time on the Woody, so it's still integrating with my technique. It's strange but getting comfortable with a real professional tool takes me a little longer than learning the quirks of a clone razor that can be had for the price of the spare change under the couch cushions. It's a lovely tool, though, and I'm enjoying learning it.

I personally suggest that if you're interested in head-shaving with a barber straight, that you spend the money to get a Focus Slim AL. It uses blades you already have, and the design includes corner tabs that help to prevent "corner sticks" from the blade. It's very light because it's aluminum -- ordinarily a light razor is not one I like but this one is stellar. Even if you decide using it to shave your head is not congenial, you will have an excellent little barber straight that you can use for lining and edging, or to catch the cleanups here and there on your face and head.

After that, a nice SS or Kai clone will get you into AC barber straights fairly inexpensively.

I had thought I wanted one of those new Feather SR razors. I may still but truly I've got loads more to learn about the razors I have.

O.H.

Top Bottom