What's new

Any great suggestions for another Face Lathering Brush.

I currently have 2 Badger Brushes that I use for Face Lathering. Both Brushes are Badger and Blade, Limited Edition, Group Buys from 2009 and 2010.

2009 Kent, in Butterscotch. I use this for bowel lathering with soaps.
2010 Simpson's, Eagle, #3 in Best Badger which I'm currently using for Face Lathering with Soaps and Creams.

Any suggestions on another fine brush for face lathering since it's summer time and I seem to favor using creams more than soaps.:ohmy:

Which brand and model would be highly suggested?

I hear a lot of talk about Plisson and Rooney brushes for their great backbone and ability to generate a lot of lather but I don't know the model numbers, type of Badger hair or the size. The Eagle from the Group buy in 2010 fits my hand fine for face lathering if that is any help.....:001_smile

Given what you have, I agree that a Rooney would be a good next brush. I have 3/1 and 1/1 brushes, and both work well for me. The holy grail is the discontinued "finest" hair, but the super is also good. I enjoy the look of the faux-ivory (or ivory fleck) handles, and the knots are well-made fan-shapes. I don't have a Stubby XL (http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/home.php?cat=173) but everyone here seems to speak highly of those, too. If they were available with the flashier faux-ivory I might have one by now.

The 3/1 handle is probably mid-way between the two brushes you have. The 1/1 handle is closer in size to the Eagle, I think. The wiki has dimensions:

Rooney Style 1 Shaving Brush
Rooney Style 3 Shaving Brush
Simpson Eagle Shaving Brush

Good recommendations so far. The Simpson 2-band grade is fantastic as well. You can also check out the shavemacs, great brushes and the D01 knots are superb offerings.

Looks like you already have some great face lathering brushes,but you do need to add the Rooney heritage XL 1 or 2.I have the 2XL and love it.I am a 100% face latherer.

Paul

Looks like you already have some great brushes, but you are missing a Horsehair. I prefer horsehair over boar and badger for face lathering. I'd suggest a quality Vie Long horsehair.

I thank everyone for their help in my selection of a good face lathering brush for everyday use. The Rooney brushes seem to be quite exquisite and have a lot of great reviews along with the Simpson Chubby and Duke, Vie Long Horsehair and the Saville Row brushes. All of your suggestions are very much appreciated and I have some homework to do before I look for the best deal.

However, I have also noticed some posts on a China made Badger Brush from "Franks Shaving" that has made an appearance on the scene. Some members speak highly of these Badger Brushes for a daily use.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Silvertip-Bagde...056?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4159ce1ff0

Is anyone familiar with this newcomer on the brush scene? Thank you for all your posts.

M&F (I finally got mine)...Contact Lee for a Morris&Forndran brush. Very reasonable prices and he'll make whatever you want...beehive, chubby, polo, urn, etc. in whatever size you like. PM me if you want his contact info.

I will also support the following: Duke 3, Rooney 3/1, Any Rudy Vey brush (another who will make it to your specifications), or maybe it's time to try a nice boar brush (Semogue Owners Club).

I have a Shavemac 2-band D01 that is a terrific face lather, too scrubby for me though. I'll make you a deal1 :wink2:

Rudy Vey custom.
Get a finest knot and design a handle.
Mine has become my favourite face lathering brush.

I thank everyone for their help in my selection of a good face lathering brush for everyday use. The Rooney brushes seem to be quite exquisite and have a lot of great reviews along with the Simpson Chubby and Duke, Vie Long Horsehair and the Saville Row brushes. All of your suggestions are very much appreciated and I have some homework to do before I look for the best deal.

However, I have also noticed some posts on a China made Badger Brush from "Franks Shaving" that has made an appearance on the scene. Some members speak highly of these Badger Brushes for a daily use.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Silvertip-Bagde...056?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4159ce1ff0

Is anyone familiar with this newcomer on the brush scene? Thank you for all your posts.

I have that one. The handle is way nicer than I expected at that price point. The Knot is dense and very soft with pretty good backbone. It's not scritchy or floppy. I've tried a couple of Frank's in the past and was disappointed. But this brush IMHO is a big step up in quality in the Frank's line. It's a remarkable value and it totaled at less than 50 shipped to the U.S. IMHO it's a nice brush, if it didn't have the Franks label I would think it's from a high end brush maker. I'm not going to compare it though to higher end brushes as I don't want to start a brush war.

Thanks guys....I forgot all about Rudy. I met him a couple/three years ago at Rutt's Hutt in Clifton, NJ for a B&B get together. Great guy and I bought a boar brush from him that day that I still use in the winter time when bowl lathering with soaps.

I've got some old handles that could use a tune up, so Rudy might be the man to contact to get the handles reconditioned and new knots installed. I'd rather keep the business in the "Family" of B&B, if possible.

Thanks.

I have a Frank's Turnback in "Finest" badger and have found it to be great. I'm currently waiting on a one-off Silvertip from Frank's ("Lindsfarne") which was shipped from China a few days ago. Hopefully it'll prove to be a worthy addition. I can also recommend an Omega boar ( I use a Model 11126) as a great face lathering brush. Works exceptionally well with Cella cream and Crabtree & Evelyn soap (pretty good with Muhle and Proraso soaps too).

Last edited:
As mblakele mentioned above, the Rooney style 3 is a fantastic face lathering brush. Absurdly soft and luxurious in super silver.

+1 on Savile Row. I have two that are favorites. I have a Rooney 3/1 and like it. Simpson's Chubby doesn't get much use, and I don't know why not. I just don't reach for it. My Vie Longs are oddly scritchy on my face, so I don't use them much.

I'd pass on the Frank's whatever brush. The quality is just not there. The price point is there, but IMHO you can get a better brush with one of the major brand brush makers.

Let us know when you narrow your sights! We'll be back with many opinions!

Well, I placed an order for the FS, Silver-tip, Badger Brush with the Richmond handle on EBay. I have been primarily face lathering in the summer and I felt that this brush, with it's price and very good reviews was worth a shot. Thanks to everyone with their suggestions on brushes and I've bookmarked this post to let y'all know how this brush works out. All the best.

The FS badger brush arrived. Had my first shave with it this AM using MWF. Got a good workout with the soap and it did shed for hairs and broken hairs. Quite a nice brush for the price and IMO....it will take some time to break it in and get nice results. Overall impression.....I'm surprised at such a high quality badger brush from China for the price paid. Shipping was super fast as well. Again.....thanks to everyone for their help.

Top Bottom