What's new

Any good recipes you made blending tobaccos together?

I learned long ago that blending different tobaccos usually ended in failure, but I have blended one recently that really works for me. I have a mix of VA/Burley/Turkish (50%), Dark Fired Kentucky (30%) and Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic (20%). It was my take on a sample from @SwamperWI of the Country Squire's Cowboy Coffee. It's really nothing at all like it but it turned out really well for my tastes. If I had substituted something like Lane's Burley Lite Without Bite (BLWB) instead of SWRA it may have come out a little closer. The SWRA just doesn't have the stronger aromatic taste/aroma that the original has. I think I added more DFK than the original too, but that's basically because I love that tobacco...

I mixed all this up a week or two ago and jarred it. Tried it tonight and it's already starting to meld together better than the "fresh" batch I sampled before jarring. This could easily become my all day smoke. Lots of flavor and strength and nothing that bites. It's a nice change of pace from my other favorite all day smoke, Lane's BCA. Yeah, I like it all...;)

So, has anybody else had any luck with making their own blends? What's your recipe?

I've tried mixing the C & D Alpine Lodge, which contains dark burley and is a little too strong for me by itself, with Mac Baren's Burley London Blend and with Golden Extra; and occasionally with Capstan Blue or Luxury Twist Flake. About 20% AL in the mix. I think it gives the main component a little more oomph.

“Good” is so subjective in this pipe smoking experience, right? Here is a blend I mixed up last year, after playing around with the component tobaccos. I call this version KG Sutliff VaPer 2.0. My primary motivation was to utilize my accumulation of 515-RC1, 507-C, & 507-S, blends I cellared heavy 3-4 years ago but wasn’t smoking much on their own. Thus far I’ve mixed up an 8 Oz batch & recently a 1.1 lb batch. I like the stuff, it scratches my VaPer itch without breaking the bank. My next move may be pressing some in my Noodle Press, we’ll see.

KG Sutliff VaPer 2.0. Note: Percentages measured by weight.
515-RC1 40%
507-C 28%
507-S 12%
T-20 Perique 12%
RL Green River Black 8%

“Good” is so subjective in this pipe smoking experience, right? Here is a blend I mixed up last year, after playing around with the component tobaccos. I call this version KG Sutliff VaPer 2.0. My primary motivation was to utilize my accumulation of 515-RC1, 507-C, & 507-S, blends I cellared heavy 3-4 years ago but wasn’t smoking much on their own. Thus far I’ve mixed up an 8 Oz batch & recently a 1.1 lb batch. I like the stuff, it scratches my VaPer itch without breaking the bank. My next move may be pressing some in my Noodle Press, we’ll see.

KG Sutliff VaPer 2.0. Note: Percentages measured by weight.
515-RC1 40%
507-C 28%
507-S 12%
T-20 Perique 12%
RL Green River Black 8%
Sounds pretty good! I bought 4 oz. of the Sutliff 507-S and didn't like it at all on it's own. My baggie was quite dry and outside of a typical "raisiny" flavor, there wasn't much to it for me. I smoked an ounce or so off and on and then decided to mix it in with some Lane's BCA Black Cavendish to help it burn better. That worked pretty well. I used to like McClelland's Stoved Virginias and thought this would be the next best thing. It wasn't even close for my tastes.

On occasion I’ll mix Sutliff’s Ready Rubbed Match with Lane’s 1Q (50%/50%). It works well together.
Interesting! I've never thought about a plain burley mixed with 1Q. That sounds really really good. I hadn't smoked 1Q in close to 20 years and received a sample from Whisky on here a week or so ago. I found it to be much more mild in taste/strength than I remembered. This sounds like it could kick it up a notch and keep the fantastic aroma.

Today I mixed the last of my Capstan Blue flake with some Mac Baren Burley London Blend, about 50/50. I got a nice long cool smoke out of it. The Capstan tin is empty, and it's too nice to throw out. I poured the last of the mix into it. Later today or this week I'l mix some Luxury Twist Flake with the BLB in the same container.

Top Bottom