What's new

Any Good Reason to Rinse Your Brush When Finished?

I kind of hate rinsing that cream off, since there's always some left on the brush; and figure
just wet it up the next day and it just needs a small touch up with some new cream to get going again. Plus I'm thinking leaving it on will help keep the brush smelling good.
Any good reason to rinse all the cream completely away when you're finished?

I got my father a brush for Xmas a few years ago, and just this past year I learned that he doesn't rinse it out, ever. Basically just does what you mentioned. Apparently the brush is doing fine, or at least he won't admit that it is causing any problems. I rinse mine out.

Periodically, might also want to clean hairs with a mild liquid detergent (+/- water softener like Calgon, or Borax), to help remove soap residue, and keep hairs fresh and light.

Not only do you want to rinse it after each use, its also not a bad idea every now and then to clean it with some dish soap and to shampoo it.

always wash out the brush when you are finished with it...it will turn geenish and gunky and probably ruin the hairs and cause your face pimples or worse..soap is cheap just wash it out theres more in the container :3

I rinse mine out because every brush maker sends those instructions when you buy a new brush. In fact, if you don't you may void any warranty you may have with the brush.

Initially reading the heading, I couldn't help but think that if it was a toilet brush, you'd probably want to rinse it out. Seeing the forum that we're in, shaving brush probably would've made more sense. My bad.

Any good reason to rinse all the cream completely away when you're finished?

Rinsing is only necessary for those brushes that you intend to keep for a while. :001_cool:

For example, premium brush manufacturer Thäter provides very clear user instructions with their brushes and rinsing a brush after use is one of them.
According to Thäter, failure to do so can result in natural hairs becoming brittle and breaking off - not a big issue for a $6.75 brush, but my Thäters ran a wee bit more expensive than that.

B

Last edited:
Keeping lather on the brush overnight can help break in a new brush. So it can also help break down and destroy a brush's hairs if you keep doing it.

Things might be different for a synthetic brush.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Yep, I'm a rinser. I also soak mine in Boraxo/water solution once or twice a year to really give it a good cleaning...

I gently rinse my brush with fresh tap water, give it a good couple of shakes to remove excess water, and then leave it out on the counter top to air dry

Top Bottom