What's new

Any good reads lately?

From time to time I get hooked on a writer and find that I have to read about 4 to 5 works until I can move on. Then I have trouble finding another good writer to get addicted to. Any good suggestions for my next author?

BTW I highly recommend Christopher Moore

Tito said:
From time to time I get hooked on a writer and find that I have to read about 4 to 5 works until I can move on. Then I have trouble finding another good writer to get addicted to. Any good suggestions for my next author?

BTW I highly recommend Christopher Moore
I know what you mean, I am exactly the same way.

I just re-read Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry and really enjoyed it. It is a western themed book.

If you went to college--or God forbid, teach at one:redface: --you MUST read Straight Man by Richard Russo. Its the best, funniest, poignant book I've had the pleasure of reading.

You aren't interested in journal articles re: emission-trading, are you? I have read dozens of those recently... actually, if you are looking for a good read there is no book that I can recommend more highly than Freakonomics. Get it. Read it... learn that economists are not necessarily boring (though some of us can be from time to time... and some of us are all the time!). Freakonomics is, without any doubt, the most interesting book that I've encountered in years (and they don't even pay me to say this).

I have a deeply abiding love for good fantasy; it is a great relief from staring at scientfic stuff all day. Really original stuff is hard to come by, but lately I have fallen in love with Greg Keyes Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone series. Great, dark fantasy. Other good (recent) authors are George R R Martin and Robin Hobb.

Well if you like crime novels I would recommend "The Rogue's Game" and "The Sweet and the Dead" by Milton Burton. Here is a link to his site.
http://www.miltontburton.com

A bit of honesty here. He's my father but I'm not plugging his books because he's kin; I won't recommend anything I don't personally like. I read strictly for my own entertainment and I find his books to be real enjoyable. Good storylines, great characters, and a flow to the writing which makes the books hard to put down.

Scotto, if you like fantasy you might take a look at L.E. Modesitt's Recluce novels. He also has some real good sci-fi as well.

My biggest vice in life are thrillers and sci fi books... I am simply not content unless I have a stack on the night stand of good reads!

The best thing I ever did was to subscribe to the Easton Press' signed Sci Fi editions. Each month, they pick the best of all the new Science Fiction releases by the best authors and the bind them in leather with gilt embossed edges and each one (less than 1000 of each) is numbered and signed by the author, with a page that has origional artwork designed just for the book.

I swear this is my greatest weakness in life, but I have been collecting them for 20 years... it is an Awesome way to find the best of the best each month...

Mama Bear

Anything by Karen Armstrong....

History of God, The Battle for God, and Holy Wars.

Not the easiest read, but extremely thorough work.

Chris

Haruki Murakami. He is an amazing author, a Japanese (albeit with heavy American influences) Vonnegut writing about the emptiness of modern life through surreal situations. He uses a lot of musical themes in the book, jazz and the Beatles primarily. The English translations (two people have done all the translations I have seen) are excellent. I have every one of his works available in translation, and I cannot recommend him enough!

jfm said:
Haruki Murakami. He is an amazing author, a Japanese (albeit with heavy American influences) Vonnegut writing about the emptiness of modern life through surreal situations. He uses a lot of musical themes in the book, jazz and the Beatles primarily. The English translations (two people have done all the translations I have seen) are excellent. I have every one of his works available in translation, and I cannot recommend him enough!

What would you recommend as a first read?

Randy

Kyle said:
The Dick and Jane series is great for a first read.:biggrin:

Oh My... Stars.:lol:

NMMB: I thought it was a very interesting take on Econ and Stats (correlations). Who knew a kid named Loser would become a decorated police officer?
Mitch: I see that you're in academics. I would highly suggest Fluke, Christopher Moore. It is about marine biologists and theories on whales kinda...
Justin: Japanese aso... I like that idea. You might enjoy The Box Man, Kobo Abe. BTW I'm a Vonnegurt nut too.

I been toying with the idea of reading some Carl Hiaasen anybody suggest a good one to begin with?

Tito

Tito said:
Oh My... Stars.:lol:

NMMB: I thought it was a very interesting take on Econ and Stats (correlations). Who knew a kid named Loser would become a decorated police officer?
Mitch: I see that you're in academics. I would highly suggest Fluke, Christopher Moore. It is about marine biologists and theories on whales kinda...
Justin: Japanese aso... I like that idea. You might enjoy The Box Man, Kobo Abe. BTW I'm a Vonnegurt nut too.

I been toying with the idea of reading some Carl Hiaasen anybody suggest a good one to begin with?

Tito

I've only ready "Skinny Dip" and "Stormy Weather", and enjoyed them both! Wasn't the movie "Strip Tease" based on his book?

Randy

rtaylor61 said:
What would you recommend as a first read?

Randy

Probably Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. It introduces his writing style with a great storyline. If you don't mind the way he writes AND you like the story, you will probably become addicted to the rest of his books. It's the most sci-fi of his books, but the science part of it is limited to a human encryption device. I've called him sci-fi, but he is more of a surrealist author who pulls from whatever genre he wants to.

Top Bottom