What's new

Any good balms (no Nivea or U.S artisan)

My favorite balm hands down is Weleda after shave balm. Weleda products are made in Germany, France, and Switzerland, so you may be able to find it easily.

Keeping the budget lower, I would suggest Haslinger after shave balsam (works wonders on my, normal, skin).
I adore Faena aftershave balms but if you have oily skin you may proceed with caution.
I also find quite soothing Noxzema after shave balm (especially the white labeled one), although price/performance wise, in Greece, Haslinger seems to be a better option.

I guess balms is about as individual as blades.
Some like liquid, firm, oily, dry, ...

1. The number one balm for me is the balm of ALT INNSBRUCK

2. The number two balm for me are the balms of STIRLING

3. Next is the balm of CELLA, which I tried recently. A new find for me. It was a sample only. But, it went right on my number 3, and there is potential to climb even higher. I will order a full bottle and put it on trial for a while to find out how to rate it over time.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
My next will be Baume.be Balm. If I like it as well as I like their shaving it will be outstanding

If you can get hold of Arko aftershave cream, it's excellent stuff for a budget balm. It's not goopy, it's more like a non-oily moisturizer, and most of them have modern men's fragrances. I have an old tube of the Adventure, and it smells vaguely like Acqua di Gio.

My three favorite balms are all European. ABC Almond Oil Milk and Apricot Hull Balm are my absolute favorites, but quite pricey. Also really like the Weleda (as mentioned above) and Muhle (although it's not as liquid as the others).

I'm going to be the odd one out here and say I use one for going out and one for my every day. My going out is Hanae Mori balm, smells awesome and seems to work. Not too oily, but it is on the fat feeling side. Everyday shaving gets a dollop of *drumroll* Bath and Body Works lotion right after I pat my face dry. They used to sell a specific aftershave balm which I liked better, but they stopped :/ This isn't the same consistency, but I don't really get any razor burn/bumps, so I guess it's working?

I had limited success making my own with bay leaves (the right kind, not the safeway kind. They're a different species), aloe vera, witch hazel, and actual factual rum.

I know it’s not a balm, but Maol Grooming aftershave—even though it’s an alcohol-based splash—is my favorite moisturizing skincare product. I’ve got a bunch of balms, but they don’t work as well as Maol. The true balm that I like is Chatillon Lux salve, but he doesn’t make it any more.

I like Institut Karite at least as much, but I can’t find it.
[/QUOTE]
Good stuff, I got it through Maggard's or West Coast a while back.

What about Myrsol Emulsion? Even though usually thought of a pre-shave, it can be used as an aftershave. Seems to check most of your boxes. Has menthol but no alcohol. Not too expensive if bought in Europe.

There is also LEA "3 in 1" balm sensitive. Very inexpensive.

L’oreal birch sap.

Not sure it qualifies as a balm though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could be used that way, but it's occurred to me that guys using balms that are more like moisturizers might want to use something toning in between the rinse and application of balm. Some modern balms or moisturizers make assumptions about your skincare routine and shaving products, so they aren't particularly toning. And toning is what you need after a deep skin cleanse like some shave soaps can produce, due to the relatively high pH, because it will leave the surface of the skin unnaturally soft, which isn't necessarily a good thing.

Everyman Jack's post-shave balm, for instance, is basically just a moisturizer. However, because most of EMJ's shave products don't strongly lather or deeply cleanse the way a traditional soap would, it isn't surprising. They are designing one product to work with another.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
+1 to Proraso. I use the Blue on occasion. Should be very available in Europe.

My go to "balm" is CeraVe Moisturizing Cream. A little goes a looooooong way. Soothes, moisturizes, restores - really good stuff.

YMMV

Top Bottom