What's new

Any Godfather fans here?

I've seen the Godfather trilogy a number of times over the years. For those of you who haven't seen it, do so ASAP...but be prepared to block out an evening or three for it. Although I've seen the movies, I had yet to read the book until yesterday when a late present came in: the Godfather novel. All I can say is...WOW. Great read, very hard to put down...finished it late this afternoon, probably going to go back and reread it. It shed a lot of light on the movies for me and filled in a lot of gaps.

I like the way that Puzo takes 'asides' to tell the back stories of some of the characters. In particular, I read the story of Albert Neri several times; it was the best one in my opinion and drew a lot of parallels to Luca Brasi. It also drew a parallel between Vito and Michael; in the same way that Vito secured Luca Brasi's undying loyalty, so too did Michael secure Neri's.

Thoughts/opinions?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I also love watching the Godfather trilogy, but it's such a shame Puzo didn't write the books before Godfather 2 & 3 played on the cinema.
proxy.php

I think the best scene of the whole trilogy was;

proxy.php
"I spent my whole life trying not to be careless". Don Corleone

Last edited by a moderator:
The first two are two of my favorite movies. I don't know which one I prefer. I'm partial to Brando, so I lean towards the first one, but I love the flashback scenes (with De Niro) of the second one.

Just remember. It is an excellent work of fiction.

Cosa Nostra is a Hollywood and media myth.

August. Never tell anybody, outside of the family, what you are thinking, again!

Go on.

:001_cool:

August. Never tell anybody, outside of the family, what you are thinking, again!

Go on.

:001_cool:

:a41:

My associate Luca Brasi will be calling upon you this evening...he will instruct you in the finer methods of silence...capisce?

Legion

Staff member
"Leave the gun. Take the Cannoli."

I've read the book a couple of times, and seen the movies more times than I know. Great.

I wish Coppola would make a prequel featuring some of the characters who were covered more fully in the book, but glossed over in the movie. Luca Brasi would be the most entertaining.

If you get a chance, try to get hold of the box set of the movies. The one I have has a whole disk of bonus stuff, and it is all quite interesting.

Last edited:
I thought the third film was the best. The only movie I've seen that even comes close is The Matrix: Revolutions; but by golly is it a close one./sarcasm

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I saw the movies but prefer the book. The book is well written and you get a better understanding of what's going on and who is ending up where and how. I read a few books from Mario Puzo but the Godfather was his best work IMO (YMMV!)

Top Bottom