What's new

Any fans of Shark stainless blades?

So we're talking Tier II BigJ? FYI I used the Chrome version today with good results.

Middle tier (‘tier II’) for me.

For what it is worth, I give the roughly top 20% my ‘top-tier’ rating. The roughly bottom 20% get my ‘bottom tier’ rating. The other 60% are ‘middle tier,’ which is definitely not bad, just average. :a21::a21:

Currently finishing up the last of a 100 lot of SS purchased around 2012. They've worked nicely in most every razor
I've tried. Not sure about quality and consistency in the current version, since political tensions have
risen in Egypt. I've read some comments that quality has declinded

As always with blades, YMMV.

I want to like the Shark Super Chrome blade but so far the one I've used just left my face raw and uncomfortable. Don't know if that was just a bad blade. I'm starting to suspect it was since I used a personna red in my tech and it gave me a wonderful shave. I'll try a few more before I say it's not for me. From what I have read Shark blades can be inconsistent with regards to quality. Maybe I just got a bad one.

I've tried the SC and Platinum variants but neither seemed quite as good as the plain PTFE coated Shark SS. I've gone through about 60 of them so far and have yet to encounter a bad one, but in each pack some blades seem to be slightly better than their siblings (could just be variation in my technique of course).

As much as I like Shark SS, my next staple blade will be Silver Star - also by Lord. I find that they have the same feel as Shark SS but are sharper and hold on to that sharpness for longer.

I received a couple of tucks of Shark Stainless blades in a sampler recently. Today was my first shave with one. I first stropped the blade as I normally do with all new blades, then loaded it into my 1959 Gillette FatBoy set on "8" (my normal setting). My normal shave is 3.5 passes: the first down the face and neck, the second across the face and neck from outside to inside, the third upwards on the face and neck, and then the last is a pass across the neck only from inside to outside. The shave cream this morning was the Hershey Lodge Cocoa shave cream.

Overall, the shave was very good. I ended up with practically a BBS shave, with little residual irritation. I did get a lot of weepers on my neck, much more than usual, but this was the only downside.

I normally expect four shaves from a blade before I toss it out. I'll report back on subsequent shaves.

I use them on occasion.
The first time was last summer during what else Shark Week!
Only used the Super Chrome and Super Stainless, tend to like the SC.
Some reviews I have read say the Platinum is way above the SC in smoothness - I will not know until I try it myself.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I'm testing a Shark SS right now.

After reading a few other reviews about roughness on the first use, I chose a mild razor (Maggard V3), just in case. My fears were realized when the blade felt dull and rough on the first stroke of my WTG pass. The blade skipped a bit, plus there was little audible feedback. It was as if it wasn't cutting the stubble. However, I soldiered on and the blade seemed to smooth out and the efficiency went up. The ATG and XTG passes were much smoother than the WTG pass and the sensation of roughness eventually went away.

The second use was with a Futur clone. To combat the sensation of dullness, I started with setting 6 and was rewarded with a very smooth, comfortable WTG pass. It felt much sharper than previously. I used setting 4 for the ATG pass and got one minor nick on my chin. Otherwise, the shave was reasonably comfortable, so far. Then, I finished up on setting 4 for the XTG pass. It was also quite smooth. Overall, a pretty good shave!

Now, the question is longevity. We shall see how many decent shaves it can provide.

I normally expect four shaves from a blade before I toss it out. I'll report back on subsequent shaves.
Now, the question is longevity. We shall see how many decent shaves it can provide.

More than anything it was longevity that caused me to move on from Shark SS. It wasn't that Shark was poor (I got around three shaves per blade) but that other blades, like Silver Star, were substantially better. I look forward to reading how things go for you guys!

I just purchased 4 tucks, blades not tested yet. Packaging is really appealing, beautiful yellow with that vintage style shark. No idea how they shave yet, but they look awesome!

This morning was shave number two with the Shark Stainless. The shave process I described above was the same, except this morning the cream I used was TOBS Lavender.

The shave was outstanding. Very smooth, with little irritation. The results was a BBS shave. I'm really liking this blade so far.

I just finished up shave number four with the Shark blade. I was using TOBS Eton College cream.

The shave is decent, but performance has definitely degraded from the first shave. It's a blade that's worthy of four shaves for me, which is the most I ever use a blade for, so I definitely consider this blade a keeper.

I have 100 of them...so yes.

Of my 32 blade sampler pack Shark SS "made the cut" 😏

(Gillette 7:00 greenSS, BiC Chrome were the other 2)

I love the sharks. Depends on the razor though. On my van der hagen they are awesome, on the muhle r89 not so much. Ymmv though

Last time I checked there were lots of fans of the Shark Super Stainless here on the board. Not my favourite blade off all the Lord models, but I can get a good shave with them. Just need to use thicker and more protective creams. My preference is for the Shark Super Chrome. Not as sharp as the Stainless, but in aggressive razors a get a nice BBS. YMMV.
I have one blade of the new Shark Platinums. Need to try it soon.

I was reluctant at first, but once tried, liked and bought a bunch.

After max 2 shaves bin em..... ; well that is almost what I do w most others 2-4..... skin hurts after those uses

Top Bottom