What's new

Any Famous Relatives?

One of my uncles is an author with 3 books out. I don't think they will ever make the "Best Sellers List", but he has a following and is doing OK with them.

My great uncle on my mothers side put together a family tree. Apparently, we are related to General Addley Gladden (civil War general from the confederate side).

http://www.civilwarreference.com/people/index.php?peopleID=420

I have been wanting to purchase this book since I found this out:
http://members.fortunecity.com/jgreen/Gladden.html

Also related to Joe Adcock:
http://www.answers.com/topic/joe-adcock

A further dig produced our first relatives to the U.S. by way of banishment from Wales. lol Apparently they were a prominent family involved in some kind of scandal. I dont know the details, but I would love to.

On my dad's side, the only person I know of that we are related to with any fame is Andrew Jackson.

Last edited:
My family has an interesting mix of ties. Via my paternal grandfather we are related (very distantly) to a very famous, not very nice one time dictator of Germany during the 1930's and 40's. Via my paternal grandmother I am related to the James brothers (Frank and Jesse). My great great... Grandmother was raised by Clay James (Frank and Jesse's Cousin). Via my maternal grandfathers family we had a Micmac Native American/First Nation (Indian) Chief. We are also related to Abraham Lincoln via my paternal grandmother but I don't know fully how. My wife's great great great... Grandfather taught Abraham Lincoln how to read (we joke that our families were destined to be together). And one of my personal favorites, though not related was that a distant cousin served (flew P51 Mustangs) with Chuck Yeager during WWII.

I have an Aunt that is huge into genealogy and literally spent over a decade tracing our family history. I have family members that fought for both sides during the American Civil War (Grandfathers' family North and Grandmothers family South). I have muster orders for both great great great.... grandfathers when they joined their respective armies. I can trace one side of my family (Fathers) back to just before the Civil War and the other (Mothers) back to before European Settlers arrived in the US.

My family has an interesting mix of ties. Via my paternal grandfather we are related (very distantly) to a very famous, not very nice one time dictator of Germany during the 1930's and 40's. Via my paternal grandmother I am related to the James brothers (Frank and Jesse). My great great... Grandmother was raised by Clay James (Frank and Jesse's Cousin). Via my maternal grandfathers family we had a Micmac Native American/First Nation (Indian) Chief. We are also related to Abraham Lincoln via my paternal grandmother but I don't know fully how. My wife's great great great... Grandfather taught Abraham Lincoln how to read (we joke that our families were destined to be together). And one of my personal favorites, though not related was that a distant cousin served (flew P51 Mustangs) with Chuck Yeager during WWII.

I have an Aunt that is huge into genealogy and literally spent over a decade tracing our family history. I have family members that fought for both sides during the American Civil War (Grandfathers' family North and Grandmothers family South). I have muster orders for both great great great.... grandfathers when they joined their respective armies. I can trace one side of my family (Fathers) back to just before the Civil War and the other (Mothers) back to before European Settlers arrived in the US.

Very, very cool! :thumbup1:

I was once married to one of Saul Bellow's nieces. He came to a funeral in the family and they gathered all us relatives together to meet him. He spent half an hour telling us that relatives wanting to meet him were a big PIA. I'm a direct descendent of God, on my father's side, who talked to him every day.

I was once married to one of Saul Bellow's nieces. He came to a funeral in the family and they gathered all us relatives together to meet him. He spent half an hour telling us that relatives wanting to meet him were a big PIA. I'm a direct descendent of God, on my father's side, who talked to him every day.

So, I guess we're brothers! :thumbup1:

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
My now deceased Grandfather Joseph Harmon was in the State legislature of Indiana in the 1950's... his second cousin, Tom Harmon was a noted football star and his son Mark does some acting.

Was Tammy with "No Show Jones" at the time?

My wife's great uncle is George Jones....although I didn't know it until I went to her grandmother's home and saw a framed album up in her living room. I asked about it and Mrs. Jones (George's sister-in-law) told me about it.

Funny how after 8 years I haven't met him yet....but the other son-in-law has...no no I'm not bitter :lol:

My great great uncle was Caleb Bradham, inventor of Pepsi. My oldest son is named for him.

On my wife's side, a portion of the Battle of Gettysburg was fought on a family farm south of town. The farmhouse and a portion of the farm are now preserved as part of the Gettysburg National Battlefield Park. Her family has been in the US since the late 1700s, and her father has traced their lineage through the first person with their last name to come to the US back to a town in western Germany.

Last edited:
Tammy and George were not together yet. This was in Birmingham when she was on the Country Boy Eddie Show and about a year before she split for Nashville.

Family split at the time of the Revolutionary War. My side were loyalists and went to Canada. Other side stayed in the US... the Eli Whitney side or so the story goes.....

My second cousin was repeatedly the subject of an Saturday Night Live parody by a cast member who went on to be David Letterman's band leader.

Top Bottom