What's new

Any Experience with Joshua Tree Soapworks and Woodsy Witch on eBay?

I was browsing soaps on eBay late last night, and came across 2 vendors that intrigued me. I almost went for it, but remembered how the last time I bought soap on eBay from someone it was utter crap.

The first is Joshua Tree Soapworks, seller name 4deboids. Seems pretty nice, makes up some good packaging and gift sets. Soap is reasonable, about $4 a puck. She offers a Bay Rum & Lime, and a Key Lime. Couple others I think. I like those scents, and the limited ingredients list sounds like they may have potential.

Anyone have any experience with her?

Second is Woodsy Witch, seller name faeriemoon9. What caught my eye about her shave soap is the BEER! Theres about 10 varieties that all use a different brew, like Sam Adams, Blue Moon, Hornsby Hard Cider, Dos Equis, a Pumpkin Ale etc. These sound really fun, and potentially good soap. Scents seem pretty interesting too. She also sells big ol' 2lb loafs of her bar soap.

Any experience with her?

I just don't wanna buy and be totally bummed again. So if anyone can provide some feedback, advice, experience, it'd be much appreciated!

With the "artisan" soap makers, it's very much hit-or-miss when it comes to shaving soap performance.

Sometimes you can get a bit of an idea from the ingredient lists for the soaps.

If you post the ingredients we *might* at least be able to give an educated guess. (Some things stand out right away as bad, like if olive oil or it's saponified components are among the first ingredients.)

Since you asked this question under the "shaving soaps" heading, I'm *assuming* you are asking this question in reference to a shave soap, and not a general soap for use in the shower...

The Joshua Tree site says this for ingredients:
This is Cold Process soap, that takes 3 weeks to make and cure. My soap is comprised of saponified vegetable oils, never any animal products, Dyes or preservatives. Moisturizing olive oil is the main oil used, Palm, Palm Kernel and Coconut oils are also used to provide a rich lather and a long lasting bar of soap. Coco Butter is added to Super Fat the soap making it an exceptionally gentle bar of soap. The soap is generously scented to insure a long lasting fragrance. You get a nice natural colored bar of pure pleasure. Each bar weighs about 4 oz. The bar of soap is wrapped in celophane and labeled. Ideal for gift giving, or keep for your self!

Although sometimes ingredients can "come together" in a way that you don't expect, and actually *work right*, I wouldn't hold up too much hope for this one, IMHO.

The Google on your "woodsy witch" soap, brings up what I believe is the same soap maker, and I don't see any specific "shave soap" on her site, but the beer soap mentioned says it has: "Spicy, with an exotic blend of crushed cloves, patchouli, cinnamon sticks, crisp pine needles and a sweet orange mixer"

I'm not sure you are going to want "crushed spices" in your shaving soap... Just think grit under/on your blade.

Good catch on the ingredients bkfist! There be olive oil with Joshua Tree. Here's what it says though, for reference:

"This is Cold Process soap, that takes 3 weeks to make and cure. My soap is comprised of saponified vegetable oils, never any animal products, Dyes or preservatives. Moisturizing Olive oil is the main oil used, Palm, Palm Kernel and Coconut oils are also used to provide a rich lather and a long lasting bar of soap. Coco Butter is added to Super Fat the soap making it an exceptionally gentle bar of soap. I now add honey to my soap to give you extra thick lather and to acts as a natural preservative. The soap is a creamy lime green colored with Green French Clay. The soap is generously scented to insure a long lasting fragrance. You get a nice natural colored bar of pure pleasure."

So yea, I dunno.

With the beer soap, we also have olive oil. Ingredients say:
"BEER - OLIVE OIL - COCONUT - SUNFLOWER - SHEA BUTTER - COCOA BUTTER - PALM - CASTOR SEED - CLAY - AVOCADO OIL - FRAGRANCE".

Once again, I dunno. Thoughts anyone?

Neither one looks promising to me as a shaving soap. Beer and honey?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are VERY few (if any) shave soaps that work with olive oil in any significant proportion. It's a literal lather-killer. I'd avoid. Although they should work fine (minus the lather) as a body soap.

There are VERY few (if any) shave soaps that work with olive oil in any significant proportion. It's a literal lather-killer. I'd avoid. Although they should work fine (minus the lather) as a body soap.

+1. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid!

You guys are nuts. It never ceases to amaze me that people will offer their opinions on stuff without ever actually trying it....

I discovered JTS soap years ago and havnt used anything else since - for shower OR shaving. I've used 4 and 5 blade commercial razors and my grandfather's 100 year old straight and it's always been like shaving on autopilot. I have a moderately heavy beard with sensitive skin and shaving for me was such an ordeal that for years I wore a full beard just to avoid the pain but now, shaving is a pleasure. I finish with a nice close shave, a clean face, and no aftershave required.

Now, I'm not a soap-snob and dont claim to know all about which ingrediants do what - but I CAN say that:
1 - I've ACTUALLY USED their soap and..
2 - I've used more than one tin.

In fact, both of my sons used JTS soap while they were in Afghanistan, one of them for shaving his head as well as his face....I know is that it's a superior product.

Naybe you should actually try it before pontificating any opinions? But dont just take my word for it.. see also the hundreds of people that left positive ebay feedback on their sales...

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
You guys are nuts. It never ceases to amaze me that people will offer their opinions on stuff without ever actually trying it....

I discovered JTS soap years ago and havnt used anything else since - for shower OR shaving. I've used 4 and 5 blade commercial razors and my grandfather's 100 year old straight and it's always been like shaving on autopilot. I have a moderately heavy beard with sensitive skin and shaving for me was such an ordeal that for years I wore a full beard just to avoid the pain but now, shaving is a pleasure. I finish with a nice close shave, a clean face, and no aftershave required.

Now, I'm not a soap-snob and dont claim to know all about which ingrediants do what - but I CAN say that:
1 - I've ACTUALLY USED their soap and..
2 - I've used more than one tin.

In fact, both of my sons used JTS soap while they were in Afghanistan, one of them for shaving his head as well as his face....I know is that it's a superior product.

Naybe you should actually try it before pontificating any opinions? But dont just take my word for it.. see also the hundreds of people that left positive ebay feedback on their sales...

Your first two and only posts here at B&B seem to be in the two threads about this soap.
This does not speak well of your objectivity.
Most people who sign up here say hi and introduce themselves before defending a product so vehemently.

Thanks for your opinion and input on it, but now that you've made your opinion known, please avoid threads about this subject and explore the other areas that B&B has to offer.

Last edited:
I have used their lime soap and it isn't bad. You can get a nice lather and your blade will glide without much resistance. It has a wonderful smell. I've only used in on my DE but will take it out for a spin with my Feather DX this week. Their after shave balm is very good. Soothes and smells good. That I would put up against any aftershave.

Top Bottom