What's new

Any experience with Graf Zeppelin watches?

Thinking of buying my son the Hindenburg Moonphase quartz as a graduation present. Looks sharp, quartz movement is fine for a college kid, and can't beat the price at $180. Just want it to be reliable for him.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
To be honest I have never heard of them but looking at the one you have shown I like it. The price seems pretty good to me. Hopefully some other members might know a little more.

Does seem like a good price for so many complications. I think it would appeal to a young man, but of course that is for you to decide.

I generally like it, but can't decide about the week-of-the-year hand. It does make the watch more interesting with the potential downside of the being harder to read at a glance (4 white thin hands compared to fewer). But my first reaction was to question whether I would be happy or sad at seeing it slowly creep around the dial showing how much of another year has passed.

Can't say I'm a fan of that dial. Unless mom jeans are your thing.

"De gustibus non est disputandum"

Both Graf Zeppelin and Junkers make other styles. To each is own. I am not a big fan of wearing sport watches (Diver, Aviator, Chronograph, etc..) with suits for business or dinner jackets for formal events. Always thought I looked awkward with my Oyster Perpetual Datejust in my suit standing next to a guy with a proper dress watch. Sort of like wearing white socks and athletic shoes with a suit. The moonphase dial on this watch strikes a nice balance.

Just wondering what the reliability is (not that it's a big concern at this price). The movement is a Swiss Ronda 706B quartz.

I would expect good performance and reliability from that movement. I have a 2-3 year old watch with a Ronda 5040.D chronograph movement and it is one of my most accurate time keepers. I have been tracking it for a while and it has lost about 10 seconds over the course of one year. It would likely be more accurate if I wore it every day, as most of that variance occurred during winter.

I would expect good performance and reliability from that movement. I have a 2-3 year old watch with a Ronda 5040.D chronograph movement and it is one of my most accurate time keepers. I have been tracking it for a while and it has lost about 10 seconds over the course of one year. It would likely be more accurate if I wore it every day, as most of that variance occurred during winter.

Thanks... made the purchase. If the fit and finish are good, I might have to buy one of these for myself.

The blue face is a Seiko NE88 automatic movement.
The silver face is a Valjoux 7753 automatic movement.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Looks sharp, quartz movement is fine for a college kid, and can't beat the price at $180. Just want it to be reliable for him.

Can't say I'm a fan of that dial. Unless mom jeans are your thing.

To each is own.

Let's face it, the question isn't whether the OP, or anyone else here, likes the looks of the watch. It's whether or not the intended recipient likes the looks of the watch. Watch preference can be very personal, so the tastes of the actual recipient a.k.a. intended wearer is the key.

(And yes, there are some "general rules" about what watch to wear with what clothing that one should be aware of too ... what makes a watch a "dress watch" rather than sport or casual ... which to wear with a suit, which with polo & chinos, which with t-shirt & jeans ... all that sort of stuff. No, you don't mindlessly obey "because I said so" but you take these as general guiding principles based on a lot of trial and error that led to a general understanding of what actually "works" together and what doesn't.)

Hopefully the kid thinks the watch rocks.

Let's face it, the question isn't whether the OP, or anyone else here, likes the looks of the watch. It's whether or not the intended recipient likes the looks of the watch. Watch preference can be very personal, so the tastes of the actual recipient a.k.a. intended wearer is the key.

(And yes, there are some "general rules" about what watch to wear with what clothing that one should be aware of too ... what makes a watch a "dress watch" rather than sport or casual ... which to wear with a suit, which with polo & chinos, which with t-shirt & jeans ... all that sort of stuff. No, you don't mindlessly obey "because I said so" but you take these as general guiding principles based on a lot of trial and error that led to a general understanding of what actually "works" together and what doesn't.)

Hopefully the kid thinks the watch rocks.

Well said... though I think we can all agree that the Apple watch is just not something one wears to look good. Unless they've given up on looking good. :D :D :D

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
No grown man should own crocs or cargo shorts.

proxy.php

"Krikey, I'm glad my shorts aren't cargo."

Well... I ended up purchasing 2 Graf Zeppelin watches. The Moonphase Quartz and the Alarm Chronograph. Received them, set them up and they are in use.

I am impressed with the design and quality of these ~$200 watches. I like the bezel-less domed glass look. The "display area" of the watch is bigger and comprises the entire 42mm size. Fit/finish/polish is excellent and comparable to watches several times the price. The design is such that they look more elegant than substantial. The weight is there, just not visibly so.

Graf Zeppelin is owned by Pointtec Germany who also make Junkers watches. They do not build their own movements. They use Swiss Rhonda quartz and Valjoux automatic movements which are known to be reliable. The automatics are the same movements used in Breitling watches.

Wow! :D Never thought I'd see so many people here in conversation about Zeppelin! I'm probably a greater admirer of the Zeppelin brand than eelhc now and here's why.

The Seiko Flight chronograph I'm wearing since 2016 is a very nice watch but isn't quite suitable for any sort of formal, social atmosphere. IMHO, the Zeppelin perfectly filled the gap that divided my dress and other watches. The rest of my watches are not getting enough wrist time ever since I received the LZ126 LA dual time. That was around 12 days back. after I went through this article. Top 10 Zeppelin watch models to let you fly high in 2022 - https://www.creationwatches.com/watchblog/watches/the-zeppelin-watch-top-10-models-that-will-let-you-fly-high-in-2022.html
I got it for around a hundred bucks cheaper than with other online retailers I checked. Not very many though; chiefly the big names almost all of us know. Here's a pic sourced from the site, for I don't wear my watches to bed unless I'm out camping.
1654941616637.png

I've occassionally considered some of these in my search for an affordable (for my...frugal @$$) panda style chronograph. I've shied away, as I can never seem to find a trusted review on the brand. I look forward to hearing more about your experiences with it.

It is appropriate attire with crocs and cargo shorts
I'd have said a Swatch for that. maybe a Gshock/Ironman or similar.

I've seen more apple watches and scrubs combos than any other wearers. I hear that they're big with the tech crowd too.

Top Bottom