What's new

Any experience stropping to resharpen safety razors?

Stropping removes the blade coating which is what imparts smoothness. The edge sharpness is not that important in the grand scheme of things. The edge hardening process is.
I agree. Too much credit, or importance, is given to sharpness but to me, again it's a ymmv thing, the more important aspect of a blade is smoothness. Assuming of course that the blade is sharp enough.

I’ve palm stropped blades for a long while now. Thought it would make a difference... Is it true that a blade will last as long without it? Maybe I’m doing more harm than good to it if it’s removing helpful coatings. I should experiment without stropping and see how the longevity goes.....
I did it mainly because I felt it would make a blade smoother as it is used for many shaves.

Never seen such a study yet, feel free to link us up.

I believe the tip of the edge loses coating on first shave, but the full edge takes as much as 7 shaves on most faces (according to the How razor blades are made video).

In my case about 3 shaves before I feel the blade starts pulling hair and being harsh.

So maybe there is controversy about the coating wearing off after one shave but it was discussed here on B&B:

I thought Fuzzy Chops made a compelling argument in that thread that it's gone after one shave and there's no real benefit to what's left. You have to decide for yourself.

Many roads to Rome, enjoy the one you're on.

Chris

So maybe there is controversy about the coating wearing off after one shave but it was discussed here on B&B:

I thought Fuzzy Chops made a compelling argument in that thread that it's gone after one shave and there's no real benefit to what's left. You have to decide for yourself.

Many roads to Rome, enjoy the one you're on.

Chris

Cool thread. Thanks for the link.

Since I keep a daily shave log of every aspect of my daily shaves, ( retired with lots of time on my hands but unable to do much) and my notes indicate that there's no difference in performance or longevity of my blades whether they're stropped before the first use or not I have to believe it doesn't harm the coating at all. But I use vintage blades exclusively and perhaps it's different with modern models?

I wouldn't even bother, since DE blades are so inexpensive. I can purchase 300 blades for the same price as I did for 16 cartridges.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

I agree. A good blade costs pennies even if you only used it once and pitched it. Why extend the life of a blade for 6 months when you only paid less than dime for each blade. The only exception I can see is if you are using a a favorite blade that has been discontinued that is no longer being manufactured or hard to get.

...In fact, many of the better blades clearly say “do not wipe” on the wrapper.

What is important, however, is rinsing and then making sure the blade is dry for storage.
I always thought the "do not wipe" was like the "do not eat" message on those packets of silica gel that are packed with electronics. :laugh:

But, I believe it is true that keeping the blade dry in storage prevents the dulling of the edge due to mineral deposits. I want to do that experiment sometime.

Hello. Minerals grown on the edge of the blade after ten shaves. They hold onto the edge very tightly. I never managed to remove them completely with the help of stroping. Easier to use a new blade. I apologize for the image, it was made using a telephone and a conventional optical microscope. Further enlargement of the image makes it too dark and illegible. Regards, Eugene.
20190720_102040.jpg

Hello. Minerals grown on the edge of the blade after ten shaves. They hold onto the edge very tightly. I never managed to remove them completely with the help of stroping. Easier to use a new blade. I apologize for the image, it was made using a telephone and a conventional optical microscope. Further enlargement of the image makes it too dark and illegible. Regards, Eugene.
That is an interesting image, @JohnKavkaz .

If you were to put the blade briefly in alcohol after use, and allow to dry, do you think that would prevent these crystals or slow their formation?

Get a Razorpit or Blade Buddy, they work much better and are safer for the blade. It's less abrasive than denim or leather. You can order one from China for 2 bucks, making the costs negligible.

I got a Bic Sensitive to last 3 weeks with one and the shaves actually got better in the second week.

Stropping was popular among Excalibur club members in 2015. By the end of 2016, few were doing it anymore as it provided little benefit compared to improving technique. Many people just rinsed their blade after each use. Many found flipping the blade helped.

The members of the Excalibur club seek to improve the quality of their shaves by improving their technique. The measure of success is a high number of shaves/blade as good technique slows blade wear. Many of the old heads are getting more than 100 shaves/blade when they want to. Those with exceptionally tough beards will get fewer.

Personally, I rinse and shake after each shave. I'm attempting my first long run on a blade. I have 48 shaves on an ASTRA SP. It seems to have many quality shaves left.

That is an interesting image, @JohnKavkaz .

If you were to put the blade briefly in alcohol after use, and allow to dry, do you think that would prevent these crystals or slow their formation?
I don’t know, maybe alcohol will extend the life of the blade. I read that some of the members of the club use alcohol. In any case, the beneficial properties of alcohol are that alcohol disinfects the blades after each shave. Regards, Eugene.

If I strop/cork it is to intentionally get a new blade to the shave 2-3 stage I prefer. Many blades on my face are a harsher shave 1 than on shave 2 or 3. Once I get them to that point I don't do it again on that blade until I swap it, and I only do it on a few brands that seem to benefit from it.

With old carbon steel blades, it was possible to resharpen them by honing them on the inside of a glass tumbler or ceramic coffee mug. Although a few carbon steel blades remain even today, most are coated stainless steel. No amount of honing or stropping will ever return them to like-new condition. Stropping might extend the life of blades somewhat, but when many blades can be purchased in bulk for 8-13 cents each, is it cost effective to spend your time stropping them?

People, people, people...

[This post made after 128 ounces of Modelo Especial]

What is this? A George Orwell novel? Mad Max, Beyond Thunderdome?

Because only The Apocalypse or some bizarre dystopia could justify this strange behavior. Strop a DE blade? Do you churn butter too? Or worse...buy margarine? Use a blade once, maybe twice. Then bin the sucker.

And stop flying commercial. That's for losers. Chartered jets are the only way to go.

[absentmindedly taps off $12 Padron cigar ash onto antique Persian rug, then instructs YouTube to play I've Gotta be Me on continuous playback until I fall asleep]

Top Bottom