What's new

Any experience out there with Castle Forbes Lavander?

I just received a tub of CF Lavender. My first shave with it was less than stellar, disappointing in fact. I used a almond sized amount of cream and expected the lather to explode. It was more like a wet soap. I'll try it again with more water and/or more cream and water. The cream in the tub is more like a croap, than a smooth textured cream. If I try to compare it with some of my favorite creams, it doesn't compare. Has a nice scent, though.
Some of my "benchmark" creams are:
T&H Trafalgar and Aspley
SJOL Sandalwood & Bergamot
C&E Moroccan Myrrh
Stone Cottage Almond Flower.
CC 45th Parallel
All of the above creams have a lighter texture and lather like crazy.
Don't know if I've got the cream to water ration correct. I give it several more tries to be fair and if I can't get it right, oh well, I'll either bench it or PIF it. Maybe it's not the cream for me. Damn expensive, to boot:mad5:
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

MIKEY

I've only sampled Castle Forbes, but I can say that you ought to give it a few more tries. My trick knee is telling me that your product/water ratio is off a bit. From my experience with it, an almond size dollop is way too much for this particular cream. I found this out the hard way. Maybe try to load lightly straight from the tub.

I've only sampled Castle Forbes, but I can say that you ought to give it a few more tries. My trick knee is telling me that your product/water ratio is off a bit. From my experience with it, an almond size dollop is way too much for this particular cream. I found this out the hard way. Maybe try to load lightly straight from the tub.
Good suggestion. I'll give it a try.
Mikey

Castle Forbes Lavender is not only my favorite cream for its performance but the scent as well. Try a pea sized dab and don't be afraid to add the water, this stuff is thirsty. You'll be rewarded with that explosion you're looking for, as well as a cream with performance second to none. I'm a soap guy, but CF Lavender is amazing.

I used this cream for a few years and I agree that it's very thirsty, I'd suggest adding more water than normal, giving it a try and scaling back as needed. I think it's an excellent cream and once you get the mixture correct I think you'll be happy with both the cushioning and the slickness of the cream. However there are clearly lots of other options for Lavender that are just as good and not as expensive :)

All good advice. I'll hang in there with and and work to get the ratio correct. May take some trial and error, but I'll get there. Was not used to a "thirsty" cream, but that explains a lot. Most likely the same with the CF Lime? I also have a tub of that. Unopened, but waiting to be used for Spring-Summer.
Thanks all,
Mikey

Yup. More water. Same thing happened to me. My first lather was like paste. I thought I had enough water. I wasn't even close. It's a very thirsty cream. Now that I figured it out, it's my favorite cream by a wide margin. I'm sure you'll get there and be very pleased when you do.

I have had my best shaves with CF Lavender. It is my favorite cream by a wide margin. The performance is unparalleled!!! It is almost like paste so it requires a ton of water. So less cream and tons of water.

Don't despair, Mikey. My first few tries with CF were big let downs - thin lather and HORRIBLE shaves. I switched my technique and treated it like a soap. Instead of taking a dollop of cream from the tub, I loaded my damp brush right on top of the lather by swirling it around. From there, you can bowl lather or lather directly on your face. You may have to experiment a little with your water ratios to get it just right. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a high quality product for sure but by the time I got around to it I found it underwhelming compared to the artisan soaps I was using. It does have a great lavender scent. To my nose it smells exactly like Mike's Natural Hungarian Lavender soap. So if you like the scent but not the performance give Mike's a try.

Used less cream and more water. Results not there yet, but better. Next I'll load the brush from the tub, then bowl lather using more water as some suggested. I imagine the CF Lime is the same process? Hope so, cause I already have an
unopened tub of that one, too. It is a thirsty cream!

Mikey

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
It's the only soap I can do a full Marco, dripping wet brush, not shaken (or stirred) on a pea-sized piece and still have to add water. Unreal how much water it will take. I suggest scooping some out and bowl lathering until you can get a better feel of how much soap takes how much water.

Cheers, Steve

My faith in CF is renewed, thanks to all your suggestions. I used my Omega Silvertip (worked way better than my Omega boar) with water still in the brush, did a few swirls from the tub to load the tips of the brush, bowl lathered adding water as needed. Wow, what a difference! Got a ton of nice rich lather. Three passes and touch up+.
Yup, a thirsty cream, indeed. That's the secret to this cream. Less cream, more water, and really lathing aplenty in the bowl (Captain's Choice). Great shave, great scent, great cream. You guys are to be:a14::a14::a14::a14::a14:.
Thanks for all your help. No need to search for another Lavender. Now I can't wait to use my tub of CF Lime.
Mikey

Glad to see you nailed it! It's a wonderful cream, but most don't expect it to be so thirsty when first trying it, myself included.

Outstanding cream. I'll have to sample it again. I just wasn't ready to commit to 3017'ing a lavender cream that lasts so long.

Top Bottom